Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Safe Distance from Overhead Voltage   Next in Forum: Electrical Supply Problem
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

5 comments
Active Contributor

18W Fluorescent in Series

05/06/2012 3:18 PM

I'm working electricity for very long time but this series 2pcs 18W fluorescent tube with single choke 36W, using two starter makes me difficult to understand the wiring connection are correct as the orignal. Why its didn't start everything is okay the choke, tubes, voltage, and starter tried it is good, connection are zero ohms..but it didn't start unless you short one of the starter and put it a few seconds then release, one tube will glow then after you replace it with the good stater the 2nd tube also start to glow. If I will never understand how this thing works better use two 18W choke and wire it individually.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1084

Re: 18W Fluorescent in series

05/06/2012 3:28 PM
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 253

05/06/2012 3:31 PM

Are you sure the starters are good?

Starters are difficult to measure, have you tried to start each of the separate bulbs with each starter one at a time to make sure you haven't just got a faulty starter.

Good Answers: 68

05/06/2012 7:42 PM

Use of a single choke for both tubes does save some manufacturing cost. They are essentially connected in series, but each uses its own starter. The catch is that BOTH starters and BOTH tubes must be identical AND operational (and with not too much aging difference) for this scheme to work at all, so it's not universally used. S.M.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi

Good Answers: 24

Re: 18W Fluorescent in Series

05/07/2012 4:57 AM

This is a method that is commonly used in commercial signs.

I guess the equation is something like one 36W ballast costs less than two 18W ballasts, and takes less time and material to wire up.

I have used this method myself from time to time. It can be a bit finickety to get going at first but seems reliable enough.

On a 230V supply, it is necessary to use 110 volt starters, and if our OP has changed out the starters without knowing this, that would account for the non-functioning of the light.

In reply to #4

Re: 18W Fluorescent in Series

05/07/2012 7:45 AM

Since the stater we have in stock are all 220/240V I've changed it using two chokes.

Yes this method is cost effective and simple to wire up.

Thank you for your reply now I knew it next time it would be easy for me to repair this kind of circuit.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dar76 (1); jack of all trades (1); lyn (1); Paulusgnome (1); SimpleMind (1)

Previous in Forum: Safe Distance from Overhead Voltage   Next in Forum: Electrical Supply Problem