CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Allen-Bradley & Profinet   Next in Forum: Wrist Watch Heart Monitor Today; Tomorrow...?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

16 comments
Active Contributor

Sight Glass Reading

05/08/2012 4:00 AM

please check the attached picture

i want to know where is my zero in the sight glass

Is it point # 1 or point # 2

and please explain why

i get confused

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591

Re: sight glass reading

05/08/2012 4:02 AM

2, though it's a false zero on account of the lute between the bottom connection on the vessel and the bottom connection on the sight glass.

One hopes it isn't on a fired boiler.....

05/08/2012 4:12 AM

it is an interface level on a settler

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

05/08/2012 4:13 AM

Phew!

What happens when the lute blocks up with settled materials?

05/08/2012 4:16 AM

it is gasoline - water settler

Register to Reply
Guru

05/08/2012 4:40 AM

Is there anything else the forum needs to know?

Good Answers: 113
In reply to #5

05/09/2012 12:03 AM

This part of the forum (yours truly) needs to know what your definition of a 'lute' is! I gather you are referring to the 4-bend offset in the lower line between the vessel and the sight glass.

Then I'd like to know the purpose of the offset. It seems like it would prevent you from seeing the gasoline/water interface in the sight glass until the water reached level 2. ...sort of like a hysteresis in displaying presence/absence of water?

05/08/2012 4:43 AM

i want to know why point 2 is the zero?

and what is point 1 represent?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

05/08/2012 5:04 AM

Because liquids find their own level on the basis of the direction of the gravitational acceleration vector. Once the lute is full, between level 1 and level 2, it cannot drain from there. So point 2 is the indicated zero on the instrument, whereas the true zero is at 1 in the vessel. That is why level 2 is a false zero, and the only zero the instrument can present at this time given the current piping connection at the bottom of both the instrument and the vessel.

It ain't any simpler than that.

In reply to #7

05/08/2012 5:12 AM

so in other words if the level become below point 2 i will not know the real level in the settler for that i should make it my zero

am i right?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

05/08/2012 5:19 AM

<...if the level become below point 2 i will not know the real level in the settler...>

Correct.

<unsubscribes>

In reply to #9

05/08/2012 6:20 AM

thanks

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #6

05/09/2012 11:33 AM

Omar,

The "zero" indication depends on the process application and the fluid being measured.

In many applications there is a "minimum" acceptable level established by the process design engineer.

Since the application is a "settler" the solids and heavier fluids will migrate (settle) to the bottom of the vessel.

I am pretty sure that Point 2 would be the design calculated "bottom" of the striated gasoline layer based upon fluid temperature and specific gravity.

Therefore Point 2 would be the "zero" point and everything above that level would be ready for extraction as clean gasoline and anything below that control point level being "unusable" or needing further refining.

Point 1 would be the "bottom" of the settled fluids other than gasoline.

The difference between Point 1 and Point 2 would be the amount of unusable/contaminated fluids and/or fluids needing to be further refined or removed from the process.

Everything below Point 1 to the bottom of the settler would be solids or semi-solids (sludge) needing to be extracted/removed from the settler on a regular time interval or when the level gets above Point 1.

Hope this helps.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Re: Sight Glass Reading

05/09/2012 8:58 AM

The reason point 2 is the zero is that the level inside the leg going to the bottom of the level gauge is always full, so point 2 is the zero point for reading level in the indicated system, if you want it lower remove the "Dog Leg" and connect directly the bottom connection to the level gauge bottom connection then point 1 would be the zero level indication.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

Good Answers: 1

05/09/2012 9:18 AM

Good Morning all;

Great answer PWSlack!!!

05/12/2012 2:50 AM

thanks all

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

05/24/2012 12:20 PM

Dear Mr.Omar Badros,

Undoubtedly at Point No.2 to be taken as basis and seen, but NOT at Point 1. Because if level falls below 2 in the vessel, it cannot reflect the true level in the vessel.

Thanks,

DHAYANANDHAN. S

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bet Green (1); dhayanandhan (1); dkwarner (1); Omar Badros (6); PWSlack (5); SHOCKISCAN (1); vargaalex (1)

Previous in Forum: Allen-Bradley & Profinet   Next in Forum: Wrist Watch Heart Monitor Today; Tomorrow...?

Advertisement