Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

Good Sites for iPhone Engineering Apps

05/08/2012 8:04 AM

Hey Everyone! I'm trying to find some good (or better) websites that contain proven (reviewed and rated by users) Engineering Apps for the Apple iPhone.

What I require are simple Apps that have been critiqued by other engineers and found to be accurate, reliable, and depict units as well as the exact formulae being utilized.

So far I've only looked (in depth that is...) into the Civil Engineering Apps on the iTunes Store website. Most of the Engineer's Reviews of the Apps there have been tended to be very negative, where they've found them to be full of bugs and not accurate at all, plus they're finding that no units are displayed (or only SI units displayed) nor are the formulas depicted.

If you have found any great engineering Apps sites please let me know! My Google Searches so far have only come up with a bunch of junk and very commercial at that!

Any help from the membership here would be most appreciated!

===Signed,

The Capt.

ps: Also, if you have any leads on a very good App calculator with advanced engineering functions would be nice. I'm looking for one that features functions like an ancient 1980's HP-41CV or HP- 41CX.......RPN is okay and even preferred, since that's the type of calculator I use day-to-day! Non-RPN functionality of the calculator is acceptable if RPN-based functionality is not available. THANKS!!!!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 141

Re: Good Sites for iPhone Engineering Apps

05/08/2012 8:35 AM

one app that I have on my I-pad and have been using more and more, but it didn't seem to cross over to my iphone is symcalc HD, so it probably don't work on the i-phone.

On larger projects, for project management I have been using SG Project Pro, Can export out and into MS Project.

I had problems with it dropping out, I was p.o'ed., I didn't feel like waiting on the phone for support, it was Friday afternoon, so I emailed the problem, thought I deal with it on Monday or Tuesday (hoping that the response would come by then), as it turned out, I received an email response back from one of the founding developers within (2) hours with the corrected the issues. So, I would give them ***** (5) stars on response time from Customer Support.

I have found out that allot of the Engineering apps are mediocre or incorrect. Most is almost like a reference dictionary, which is ok, but I never really saw the usage that I would get from them. So yes, the negative reviews are warranted.

I have a few other engineering apps, but these apps actually turned out to be nothing more than fluff.

Good Answers: 11

05/08/2012 9:00 AM

I found this one:

For threaded fasteners

Register to Reply
Guru
Belgium - Member - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 25

05/09/2012 4:17 AM

Good thread idea.

Preferably expanable to Android and potentially other operating systems.

And why not being a defined section in CR4?

We might even guide devellopers towards ideas for new apps.

Tell us what you want to be able to calculate on your tablet/phone.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #3

05/09/2012 8:18 AM

Hello Gwen. Many thanks for stopping by and adding some insight, and also for asking some pertinent questions.

Yes, you are correct for suggesting that a CR4 Section should be included here. I really feel that the software developers have dropped the ball Big Time in not developing engineering software fir the iPhones & iPads currently out there! What I've found so far in my searches is downright scary! There's a bunch of Apps on the iTunes website that are truly junk. Obviously, the software developers are good at coding, but don't have a clue about the engineering portion, nor does it appear to me (from what I've read in reviews left by engineers) that the software has been independently validated for accuracy!!!!! I'm not about to waste any $$$$$ on a useless App that will give me false information and results! I don't want a bridge or building or water main or even a culvert that I've designed failing because of the crappola resulting from these error-filled Apps! No way, no how!!!!!

As for what I want the iPhone Apps to be able to calculate:

ANYTHING pertaining to Civil Engineering......from structural analysis, to highway horizontal & vertical curves (including "Spirals"), to traffic counts and turning movements at intersections, to hydraulics & hydrology, to pumping systems, etc etc. You get my drift. Something I can use in the field or at a meeting on the "jiffy", and do a "back-of-the-envelope" spur of the moment preliminary design without lugging my heavy laptop all around creation for half of a day....or having to waste my time, as well as my client's, by going back to the office and performing the same same calculations.

One of the gadgets I've been looking into is the Samsung Galaxy Note. One of the other members in a separate discussion suggested that I look at it. It's a cross between an iPhone and a tablet. I suspect that this will be a growing trend by the gizmo manufacturers as the technology matures. Anyhow, I love how I am able to sketch diagrams or do renderings with it, and that it's slightly larger that the current crop of G4s iPhones. That size doesn't bother me, nor does the AT&T price of $299 (and it will be going down further later this year with the debut of the Galaxy Note II I'm told). Engineering Apps for that device too!

CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #4

05/09/2012 10:35 AM

I did a quick search on Google Market Play, and I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the quantity and polish of some of the apps within the realm of engineering you mention. Let me know if I'm on the right track with some of these examples:

Frame Design 2D

Heavy Calc Pro

Quick Calc Hydraulics

Pump Capacity Calculator

On the left pane you can see more by those developers or similar apps. Maybe some of those would fit your needs if you get an android device.

Just a reminder, you probably already know this, but the $299 price tag for the Note is the subsidized price with a new contract. MSRP is about $750. If you don't want to make the direct switch from iPhone to Android, you could consider buying an android tablet for this purpose, and still use your iPhone day to day. But if you want the huge screen and the cell phone in one device, then yeah the Note is a decent Android phone.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 141
In reply to #3

05/09/2012 8:35 AM

Maybe things should be revisited time to time.

Central Locations for CR4-Written Programs and Links

Good Answers: 2

05/09/2012 9:51 AM

On the standard calculator app that came with the phone, when you turn the phone on its side it automatically changes to a scientific calculator. I was only recently shown this, but perhaps you already knew. It is not RPN, but does have a few more functions. I have not tried to find an app that simulates an HP interface, but normally only need mine while I am at my desk already.

Let us know what you find. Always interested in useful new apps!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 113

05/09/2012 12:44 PM

I have not made real use of them yet, but I have downloaded and done initial test on:

1. Carpenter 'Metal Mass'; does weight and cost calculations for several standard shapes of metal stock. The one sample I tried was accurate.

2. 'Wesgo Metals'; gives liquidus and solidus for many brazing alloys.

Are you aware that the standard built-in iPhone calculator converts to a scientific one if you rotate the phone to landscape position? It's not RPN, but I've found it quite satisfactory.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Calnet42 (1); CaptMoosie (1); dkwarner (1); Gwen.Stouthuysen (1); phoenix911 (2); polymerfan (1); yamdankee (1)

Previous in Forum: Microsoft Word   Next in Forum: Php Programming