Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Solar Panel Production Advice   Next in Forum: Nice Biodigester System, and Politics of Use
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

17 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

The New LED Technology And Old Habits For Home Lighting Don't Mix

05/09/2012 6:30 AM

I will start the discussion right on with what is actually the subject: People treat the new LED technology like they treat incandescent lighting and in my opinion this is counterproductive.

Incandescent lamps are, in general, omnidirectional. For many years engineers have tried to design reflectors to direct direct light where needed as efficient as possible.

Now the LED lamps are "in town" - directed light, low power consumption, able to change colors to an almost infinite number. Still people want to use these as...incandescent light bulbs. All large companies are trying to design LED bulbs that are similar to incandescent. $40 for a 400 lm light bulb.....are you crazy? Do people know anything about distributed lighting? Using new technology with old mentality raises a question mark about people being able to adapt, to use resources efficiently, to evolve.

The LED technology truly is amazing. I can have LED strings to circle the entire room, separate LEDs in the different cabinets that come on when the door opens, as in the refrigerator - in this way I won't need 1000 lm in the room, 100 lm should be enough. On a hallway I can mount LED strips on every side, but not to the ceiling. I'll mount them at the waist level; in this way the lighting power requirement is close to minimum while having uniform illumination and it will relieve the stress on the eyes if automated switches are used (personally I agree that automated switches save energy but I don't like when the light comes on very bright and unexpected).

In one room I have been trying 20 5mm LEDs mounted on a breadboard and powered with a mobile phone charger. The results are quite promising. The lighting isn't yet distributed but I have no problem with the lighting requirements for most of the activities and if more light is needed I can always switch on the main light. For bathroom and kitchen somewhere around 100 LEDs would be necessary (with only 20 LEDs you can chop your fingers ).

How do you use LEDs and what is your opinion on the design of incandescent like LED bulbs?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 588

Re: The New LED Technology And Old Habits For Home Lighting Don't Mix

05/09/2012 8:07 AM

As new building regulations and construction requirements come on-stream, the use of non-incandescent lighting will increase and wiring practices will adapt to the new materials.

Meanwhile, there remains a need to supply an alternative solution for the user that is stuck with the centre-room pendant lampholder fitting and simply wants a replacement for the 100W light bulb that has just blown, a direct replacement for which is no longer available in a house for which re-wiring is inconceivable.

There is a market for both areas.

In reply to #1

05/09/2012 9:15 AM

For inconceivable re-wiring we can look at wireless power .

The thing is that many still promote the old school lighting fixtures and design. It;s true that there are a number of buildings that have spot lighting - which can be fitted with LEDs.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 588
In reply to #2

05/09/2012 9:31 AM

<...look at wireless power...>

Joe Bloggs at no.37 Acacia Avenue cannot do this. All he wants is a replacement lamp, preferably one that doesn't have to be hot-wired into a fluorescent fitting starter.

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 742

05/09/2012 10:12 AM

All I want is a low power, warm color temperature, replacement lamp for my screw in incandescent bulb that lasts a long time, uses much less power (and generates less heat) at a low price.

What I don't want is another home improvement project where I have to rewire my house to get light! When you consider the cost of renovations $40 per bulb sounds pretty cheap and I can do it in minutes.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #4

05/09/2012 4:19 PM

good point on that one

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #4

05/10/2012 2:42 AM

One word (or TLA). CFL. They come in different colours, last a long time, use less power (run cooler) and they aren't much more expensive than incandescents these days. I've even seen dimmable ones in the grocery store.

Save the LEDs for spot lighting (I've seen 10 degree spots although they're harder to find than floods) and night lights (extremely low consumption and if you're handy you can make some dandy stair lights). They are ideal for those applications.

Good Answers: 93

05/09/2012 11:28 PM

This is my take and correct me if I am wrong. The cost of copper is skyrocketing and it seems there is no end in sight. The cost of energy is also skyrocketing. If a new home is being constructed would it not be a better idea to use low voltage wiring with transformers located near the inlet electric panel. These transformers could feed the individual circuits required. Now when you buy an LED replacement light, you buy just the light and not the light and transformer. Led lights could then be very cheap without the transformer attached. There would be a great savings on wiring costs, not labor, and on energy costs for lighting. I also appreciate nikolay's point of having lighting installed to optimize the use of LEDs. Are there any houses now being constructed with good LED technology incorporated into it, even prototype? Or is still too risky to install low voltage wiring on emerging construction techniques?

In reply to #6

05/10/2012 3:02 AM

...or if you have batteries connected to a windmill and/or solar panels, you could hook your LEDs straight to the batteries. You still might need a PSU/current regulator but probably more efficient than going off the mains. I used a 12V system with 12V LED fixtures but a lot of windmill and solar systems are 24 or 48V.

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #6

05/10/2012 10:35 AM

I don't see how you will effect any great savings. You will need to have heavier wire to handle the higher current to keep the voltage drop to a minimum.

I haven't seen too many 6 volt vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, or refrigerators, so houses will have to be wired for 2 systems.

Would it be possible to superimpose low voltage DC onto the existing AC wiring?

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 742
In reply to #12

05/10/2012 10:50 AM

Like I said, retrofitting existing homes is simply not going to happen due to costs.

Add to that, just try to push a new wiring standard onto the home industry. The cost of getting a coalition together, hammering out a standard that generates enough votes amongst all interested parties, and then selling that to the consumers is a no-go idea.

The easy way to do this is to put that same effort into reducing existing LED costs and boosting its performance.

Amazingly, there is something called the free market that will do the rest.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #12

05/10/2012 10:54 AM

Let's keep it to lighting, LED lighting

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #12

05/10/2012 12:17 PM

Yes I think we need the 120/230 volt circuits to operate motors, fans etc as found in most houses. Lighting with LEDs require less wattage to give the same apparent luminosity (possible wrong term). From the web, 7 watt LED will equate to a 60 or 70 watt incandescent. It therefore stands to reason to expect lower energy consumption and less copper.

watts/volts = amps

7 watts/24 volts=0.29 amp

7 watts/12 volts=0.58 amp

So depending on how many LED lights you place in series or the voltage of the transformer, it appears to me the wiring requirements will be much smaller to get the same return. Strings of LED lights are often used on Christmas trees and often have over 500 on one circuit of 115 volt with plug in transformers.

05/10/2012 1:10 AM

This is the result of manufacturers building bulbs from efficient blue LEDs. To create a "white" light, a phosphor coating is applied that emits other colours in the visible spectrum. When these mix - like shining light through two prisms - they produce a white light. Crucially, however, there are "gaps" in the spectrum, and it is these missing chunks that cause the harsh effect.

http://www.sencart.com

In reply to #7

05/10/2012 3:20 AM

Some systems use red, green and blue LEDs with number of each matched to intensity but those are still pretty expensive.

If you're rich (or a business) you can get RGB systems that are independently adjustable so you can light your space any colour you want, even dynamically.

More like the way fluorescent bulbs work than prisms, I'd say. The spectrum charts I've seen don't seem to have gaps so much as a significant peak at the colour of the 'pump' LED. I think eventually they will either start using more phosphor or add a filter matching the pump colour to even it out.

05/10/2012 4:58 AM

As you can see, it now has a switch fitted.The main reason for this is to give it a very low level nightfinder glow mode.There is a 150kΩ resistor (bleed resistor) fitted across the switch, so that a current of 0.02ma is just enough to give a glow in the dark facility.You may notice blue at either end of the switch, under the epoxy, this is blue tack, to stop epoxy going into the switch mechanism, the first Mk2 prototype was very stiff to switch, for this very reason.<a href="http://www.ledstrips8.com/outdoor-led-lighting-c-11.html">led flood lights</a><a href="http://www.ledstrips8.com/flexible-led-strip-lighting-c-32.html">blue led strip</a><a href="http://www.ledstrips8.com/led-panel-lights-c-24.html">led panel</a>

Register to Reply
Associate

05/10/2012 11:36 AM

Hi to all

Led lighting is the future , had been new developments in the energetic forum renewal energy Joule ringer thread 10 220 v ac 5 watt led bulbsunder 400 ma 12 v dc from solar powered batteries

i had them installed and 6 pm to 6 am daily with 75 % brightness 50 watts total using only a 5 watt solar panel directly connected to SLA battery 12 v 7 AH

Hope this help

totoalas

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #15

05/11/2012 7:58 AM

I apologize for being pedantic, but can you punctuate that? I can't follow anything you said, but suspect it is of very positive use for those of us looking for ways to efficiently apply LEDs to our lighting needs.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (2); GordieGii (3); jeantyou (1); JWthetech (1); kevinm (2); micahd02 (1); MoseTienken (1); nikolay (3); PWSlack (2); totolas (1)

Previous in Forum: Solar Panel Production Advice   Next in Forum: Nice Biodigester System, and Politics of Use