CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: "Soft Start" Alternative to Definite Purpose Contactor   Next in Forum: Commissiong Test in Grid Station
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

2 comments
Commentator

Leakage on Transformer

05/10/2012 3:29 AM

I have a transformer that is leaking transformer oil profusely,I think it's leaking from the tap changer. after doing a standing leak test, do you think it is appropriate to drain the oil completely and do an internal inspection of the tank? the client said he only wants me to drain 6o%.

The transformer is hermetically sealed. For this type of transformer if it's completely drain do i have to do vacuuming to fill new oil back into the transformer?

Please anyone will similar experience can share.

260KVA Transformer,3Phase,HV=913-3162V LV-400V Type C

ESCO special purpose transformer

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster #1

Re: Leakage on transformer

05/10/2012 3:44 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 86

Re: Leakage on Transformer

05/10/2012 2:06 PM

You only need to drain enough oil to get below where it is leaking out. If it is the tap changer's external operator leaking, it probably needs bushing packing or replacement. For a transformer this small (260kVA), it is generally unnecessary to vacuum fill unless you are going to leave the core & coils exposed out of oil for an extended period of time (days -weeks). At that voltage, the little moisture that could be absorbed into the winding insulation shouldn't affect its qualities measurably.

The work should be done in dry weather conditions, in a protected area so that water, dirt, dust, or other foreign matter won't get in the transformer. It is good to have some bottles of dry air available to purge the inside of the tank while the work is being done. It keeps out excess moist air, as well as making the inside breathable if someone needs to stick his head in there while working.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: "Soft Start" Alternative to Definite Purpose Contactor   Next in Forum: Commissiong Test in Grid Station

Advertisement