Close

Rating Vote:

12 comments
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 6

Icemaker

05/16/2012 2:26 AM

I recall seeing a movie years ago where a man living in a south american jungle built a structure to produce ice. Is this possible? If so, what would it take to make something like that?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 479

Re: icemaker

05/16/2012 2:48 AM
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 545
In reply to #1

05/16/2012 8:12 AM

I think it was Harison Ford... so it must be true
Del

Good Answers: 479
In reply to #1

05/16/2012 11:40 AM

Free cold beer, what's not to love?

"Self-Cooling Beer Kegs

An example of a Zeolite ice maker has been incorporated into the Self Cooling Beer Keg. The self-cooling keg contains three chambers. A reservoir of water in an evacuated chamber surrounds the inner chamber containing the beer. This water reservoir is connected by a tube to the outer chamber containing Zeolite. Since this tube is also evacuated it contains water vapor. By opening a valve the water vapor flows to the Zeolite where it will be absorbed. As this happens, the Zeolite warms up, absorbing heat from the water reservoir as it does so. The reaction is sufficiently intense to cool the water in the reservoir enough so that it freezes. After 30 minutes, a cold glass of beer can be tapped and the keg will keep a perfect drinking temperature for at least 12 hours. There aren't any commercially available models of these ice makers yet that aren't rather large and cost $1000 or more. The first viable product is the beer keg($35) but soon will we see other products. If you can chill 5 gallons for 8 hours with no power, they would be perfect for chilled drinks while camping or boondocking."

http://www.solaripedia.com/13/389/solar_ice_maker_chills_with_heat.html

Good Answers: 158

Re: Icemaker

05/16/2012 8:19 AM

I'm curious about your inquiry: if you are aware that ice can be produced in structures in other places of the world(not South American jungle), what specifically made you question whether it could also be accomplished in South American jungle? What did you suspect might interfere?

United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #3

05/16/2012 12:43 PM

My inquiry was to verify the idea that this operation was possible and not some Hollywood pipe dream. Also, my memory is not as good as it used to be and what I needed was to be pointed in the right direction, and I was with the first reply. Thank you all.

Good Answers: 18

05/16/2012 11:03 AM

I thought it was Africa, and I especially liked the part where they rebuilt a saltwater soaked outboard and it fired on the first pull. (after replacing the "spark(s)".

Getting back to the question at hand, google Einstein Refrigerator.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 252

05/16/2012 3:35 PM

After recalling the movie "The Mosquito Coast" you are thinking of, a hell of a lot of pyrotechnics.

Good Answers: 3

05/16/2012 10:32 PM

we have ice formations year round near the mouth of certain caves in the area.

Register to Reply
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

05/16/2012 11:30 PM

We make ice 24/7 here in Panama, even in the "remote" jungle. Generally, we use diesel fueled generators to produce electricity to power conventional ice makers...

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 19

05/17/2012 3:10 AM

Absorption refrigeration isn't as efficient as "mechanical" refrigeration, but it works well if you have a free or inexpensive heat source.

Here's a Do-it-yourself version:

http://techref.massmind.org/techref/other/zeolitefridg.htm

And here is a design that is being tested for deployment in the Peruvian jungle:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=zeolite+refrigerator&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CKMBEBYwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffc.uni.edu.pe%2Fmhorn%2FISES2003%2520(solar%2520refrigeration).pdf&ei=2Ze0T4K1NamsjALBj6TSAg&usg=AFQjCNHteBdWOKnqzEZfxVLw_1mMcCyKww

There are also solar air conditioning units that use water as the refrigerant and Lithium Bromide as the absorber, although those require some source of mechanical energy to run the pump that moves the dilute Lithium Bromide solution from the evaporator into the generator, where it is concentrated. This pump is usually powered by an electric motor, but a hand pump or a foot pump might do the job at the cost of a little exertion.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

05/17/2012 5:56 AM

Maybe a self cooling air conditioner for the home is around the corner. I hope so. That would really reduce the electrical load. Then, alternate energy sources would be enough to supply the energy needs for the rest of the house. A home stand-alone energy system may be coming soon without giving up AC!!

Have some fun today,

PAPADOC

RMFR

Register to Reply
Power-User

05/17/2012 5:07 PM

Though it is not an ice maker but cools almost as much as ice or better. So go ahead and chill your beer without electricity!!

''The pot-in-pot refrigerator or zeer (Arabic: الزير‎) is a refrigeration device which keeps food cool without electricity by using evaporative cooling. A porous outer earthenware pot, lined with wet sand, contains an inner pot (which can be glazed to prevent penetration by the liquid) within which the food is placed. The evaporation of the outer liquid draws heat from the inner pot.

Although the principle behind the device has been known for centuries, one modern device was developed by lecturer Mohammed Bah Abba for use in modern Nigeria and distributed by his company, Mobah Rural Horizons. The device was reinvented by English inventor Emily Cummins in 2006, for which she won a Female Innovator of the Year for 2007 from the British Female Inventors and Innovators Networ as well as a £12,000 sponsorship from NESTA. ''

Here is more about it.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-in-pot_refrigerator

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bubbapebi (1); cwarner7_11 (1); Del the cat (1); durtieduck (1); jack of all trades (1); JWthetech (1); mazhur (1); PAPADOC (1); SolarEagle (2); spaceracer (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Caulerpa Taxifolia Content   Next in Forum: Tonal Language