Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Diesel Generator One Phase Disappeared   Next in Forum: Power and Control Cable Separation
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

10 comments
Active Contributor

Capacitor Start/Run Wiring

06/16/2012 1:56 PM

I have and old Ajax motor used to run an old planer. To cut to the chase I have a problem rewiring the capacitors. It has a relay for the start capacitors to cycle out and a thermal switch. It has 5 wires (T1,T4, T5, T17, T18). Has anyone got access to an actual picture of a setup like this. What connects to what? The motor stopped working and I found a bad capacitor. From there it is history that I do not know how to put it back together. I have it running but it is producing excessive heat in the motor and I think it is because i have the capacitors wired wrong. It is a single phase 230 v motor.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: capacitor diagrams Induction wiring
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 484

Re: Capacitor Start/Run Wiring

06/16/2012 2:33 PM

Ajax has many different models, could you provide a model # or hp or number of caps??

In reply to #1

06/16/2012 2:41 PM

Ajax 7184TBF87030AAWCCW ; 5 HP; Frame 184T; Ph1; Code H; XTM5-184T; 1750 rpm; 60 cyl; SEr. 006687; 21 Amp; 230V; Class B; Cont.

All off of the plate. There are four capacitors. Two start and two run. I think they were in parallel, that is start with start and run with run. The relay is Essex RBM C27B, and the thermal switch is Klixon Type LEH 33KB F2A.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 484
In reply to #2

06/16/2012 3:31 PM

In reply to #5

06/16/2012 3:49 PM

Just old.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

06/16/2012 3:02 PM

I think this it the wiring diagram but I do not know what wire is what wire. Can you label what T1,T4, T5, T17, and T18 would be on this? I do not have a centrifugal switch it is electrical.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

06/16/2012 3:23 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 61

06/16/2012 3:42 PM

Google stearns.rexnord.com/pdf/Cat_902/26-27.pdf. Click the first selection.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

06/17/2012 7:28 AM

Very simple. If the problem is still not sold, at first, measure with an ohmmeter the continuity of the 5 contacts to find 2 and 3 (the 2 will be a thermocontact, and the 3 - the motor's windings).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #8

06/17/2012 4:33 PM

I think I figured out the connections. When I got the motor running it overheated. I had read somewhere the possibilities for overheating and hoping it was not a partially bad winding I first checked to see if the start windings were shutting down. I did this by checking the starting relay. Not having all the tools needed and being a dirt guy (civil engineer) that works with what he has, I took the relay apart and mounted it so I could look at the relay points as the motor was running. The relays points were sparking like auto points but not disconnecting. I then rigded a way to disconnect the points with the motor running. When I disconnected the points (which I think is also shutting down the start windings) the motor power draw dropped (lights in shop were no longer dimmed) and the motor ran very quiet for some time without overheating. Therefore, I took from all of that that the start windings were not shutting down which was producing the overheating. That all said I now must replace an old start relay and an old thermal switch. I pulled the coil out of the relay and checked its resistance. 3500 ohms. I think bad based on what I have read. Do you concure? Can I replace just the coil in this old Essex RBM C27B 128126-1132TB relay? If not what would be a replacement relay for this relay? Also, the thermal switch is bad and I need to replace it. It is a Klixon Type LEH33KB F2A. Is there a substitute replacement that I can get for resonable price?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #9

06/18/2012 1:59 PM

I overlooked the relay. It should be the potential type one. When the motor gathers speed, it turns on and disconnects by its NC contact the additional capacitor. It seems this does not happens and the capacitor is left connected.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

rlowhorn (5); SolarEagle (2); wareagle (1); Yuri B. (2)

Previous in Forum: Diesel Generator One Phase Disappeared   Next in Forum: Power and Control Cable Separation