CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Reg: Vehicle That Runs In Air   Next in Forum: A System to Increase Sea Evaporation
Close
Close
Close
40 comments
Commentator

One Stroke Engine

06/26/2012 12:19 AM

Is there one stroke engine in existance ?? If yes can somebody explain me about the concept.

Regards

Srini

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: one stroke engine

06/26/2012 12:54 AM

Well sort of, but with 2 opposing pistons technically it might be called two strokes happening at the same time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-stroke_cycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_G0-9PJIE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4bNOLdhchA&feature=relmfu

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

06/26/2012 1:06 AM

With no return stroke, there would be at most half a cycle.

Sombody must be using nonstandard terminology, maybe to describe something like a Wankel rotary engine.

Guru

Good Answers: 246

06/26/2012 3:42 AM

Contrary to popular (dis)belief, one stroke engines are a reality with numerous working example in existence today.

You might have seen a one-stroke engine first hand, except nobody calls them by that name. One stroke engines go by names like:

pistol

rifle

shotgun

cannon

potato launcher

In most examples the engines uses consumable ejecting pistons.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

06/26/2012 4:06 AM

Ah, but where's the (rest of the) cycle?

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #3

06/26/2012 1:02 PM

Calling guns "engines" is a bit far fetched. I heard of engines "throwing a rod" but throwing a piston is new to me.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

03/15/2017 10:01 PM

When you consider interchangeable way 'motor' and 'engine' are used today, a linear engine is not really any more far fetched than a linear motor.

If a rail gun is a linear electric motor, a rifle is a linear combustion engine.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

06/26/2012 6:06 AM
Guru

Re: One Stroke Engine

06/26/2012 12:37 PM

Steam engines used in locomotives were "1-stroke." High pressure steam was admitted to each end of the cylinder alternately, controlled by a reciprocating valve system, which also controlled the exhaust process. Served us well for many years.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 82
In reply to #6

06/27/2012 8:01 PM

So compression, power, and exhaust are all one stroke, but isn't there a return stroke?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/27/2012 8:16 PM

There is no "compression stroke" since the steam is pressurised externally in a boiler. This is/was an "external combustion engine."

In the double-acting system that was commonly used in steam engines (as shown in the diagram), every stroke was a power stroke and an exhaust stroke (for the other end of the cylinder). So there were 2 power strokes and 2 exhaust strokes per revolution. The "return stroke," as you put it, was merely another power stroke.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #14

06/27/2012 8:51 PM

As I mentioned below, a cycle still contains two strokes, albeit as you agree, two power strokes, so it is still a two stroke engine - although I can see your argument.....I stick with the pulse jet being the closest to a single stroke engine I can think of - there ambient air is 'sort of' the 'piston' but it really is a reaction engine ......

Register to Reply
Power-User

06/26/2012 10:57 PM

Have you ever seen single-acting and double acting hydraulic/pneumatic cylinders??

If not see them and you will get the answer to your question.:)

Guru

In reply to #8

06/27/2012 12:00 AM

I was thinking of a pulse jet, everything else including double acting steam and hydraulic pistons still have two strokes, albeit two power strokes to complete a cycle....

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #9

06/28/2012 10:05 PM

'''.I was thinking of a pulse jet, everything else including double acting steam and hydraulic pistons still have two strokes, albeit two power strokes to complete a cycle...'

Hold your horses (and assertions) just a moment.

Double acting steam/hydraulic pistons as well as guns are both strong valid examples.

In the case of the double acting pistons, are you basing your argument on the fact that the crankshaft does not make a complete revolution on just the initial stroke?

Or are you attempting to argue that specific direction is a defining quality of the type of stroke, and therefor any change in direction necessitates defining another stroke?

If you were basing it on the crankshaft, then your pulse jet cannot hope to qualify as there is no crankshaft. (It is ancillary anyway because the crank could be made to complete one revolution as the piston travels the complete one way distance).

If you were basing it on the change in direction, then the pulse jet also cannot hope to qualify as there is a distinct change in direction in the fluid.

Actually a pulse jet doesn't qualify because there are definitely more than one stroke resembling stages. The power stage/stroke is distinctly different from the intake stage/stroke. The difference in these strokes is apparent in both the noise of operation and the common name for this technology.

In reply to #17

06/28/2012 11:36 PM

Neither, really, in a double acting system the second power stroke is co-incident with the first exhaust stroke, it is still a two stroke system, it is simply that the first exhaust and the second power stroke are the same stroke. if for instance the first exhaust stroke did not occur then the third power stroke could not occur, the piston has to return to its starting position for the cycle to be able to repeat. A cycle completes when the engine has returned to its initial condition and is ready to repeat the cycle. After a single stroke a double acting system has not achieved this.

I also agree with you that a pulse jet is not a single stroke system because it is a reaction engine, however it was the closest I could think of because if you think of the air in the exhaust as the piston it does not return to its starting position, rather a 'new' air piston is formed in its place.

Alternatively a gun is a one stroke engine because the 'piston' is expelled and does not return to its starting point, it must be replaced with a new one for the next 'stroke'.

A rocket, turbojet or ramjet cannot be considered as a one stroke engine because they operate as continuous flow systems.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #18

06/29/2012 12:26 AM

I see your point concerning a double acting system. I have to agree with you, double acting systems aren't single stroke.

In reply to #19

06/29/2012 1:55 AM

Thank you

Register to Reply
Associate

06/27/2012 1:39 AM

you can consider a "Wankel" engine as a one stroke engine.

were used in some cars in europe like NSU (MAZDA also produced one).

In reply to #10

06/27/2012 11:54 AM

I don't think that's true. As rotary engines don't have "strokes," then the term "1-stroke" cannot apply. I would think the term can only apply to reciprocating engines. Mmmmmm.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27

06/27/2012 7:23 AM

The Sarich Orbital engine.

I can't put in a link. It's in Wiki.

In reply to #11

06/29/2012 6:00 AM

This the link i wanted. It's to a type of orbital emgine.

Good Answers: 7

06/28/2012 9:57 PM

Single strokes that I have built and run are the single acting steam engine (oscillating etc.). A more true re-compression unit would be the Doble uniflow and Williams single acting units with variable cutt-off and in the case of the Williams engine, a very radical cut-off super re-compression and in a few test engines, a secondary re-compression cylinder (non scavenging). Doble was in the 1930-40s California and Williams Brothers were 1960-70s Ambler, PA. The torque was stupendous on these engines 400 to 500 ft lbs was child's play.

Commentator

In reply to #16

07/03/2012 2:01 AM

can you please give ur mail id or contact number

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #22

07/03/2012 11:11 AM

http://steamautomobile.com/phorum5214/read.php?1,356,page=1 EXCERPT George Nutz Re: Williams Engine Data March 11, 2002 01:17PM <HTML>Peter, I will try not to differ too much but the Williams engine could achieve more than 30% efficiency on the dyno under ideal conditions. True that a Stanley on a good day may have 5-6% and a Doble "E" 12% on the road but the private dynamometer tests published in Machine Design, compiled by a Dr. Robert Ayres, August 1968 show a Williams engine using only 6.44#/HP-HR and a calculated thermal efficiency of 38.8%---that IS hard to believe. With 10% cutoff it was stated to have 25.8% thermal efficiency. It may be true that high compression work takes more energy than it gives back but the great reduction in engine clearance volume allows the Williams engine to have a near theoretical expansion ratio, far more valuable than the mechanical friction losses of compression. Thus the Williams uniflow engine, with 5% cutoff, could achieve over 18 expansions, much greater than an engine with sufficient clearance volume so that compression pressure was equal to steamchest pressure.---MOG.....THIS SINGLE ACTING DIALOG CAN GO ON FOR EVER and it does, so good luck!

Register to Reply
Power-User

07/30/2012 7:26 AM

Hello Srini,

Not sure if this qulaifies. Its a liquid piston rotating a hydro turbine. The Drive cylinder fills from the top. Can that be taken as a second stroke?

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1

09/26/2012 11:00 PM

mechanically speaking is imposible to make a only ONE stroke engine

strokes are the steps the engime make to generate power
1 admition
2 compression
3 force or work
4 exhaust thats for a 4 stroke engine

in a 2 stroke engine is this way
1 admition and exhaust at same time
2 compression and work

so an only 1 stroke engine will be all things at same time so..... is imposible

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #25

09/27/2012 1:11 AM

Hello jmmyadam,

It be more correct to say a one stroke Diesel cannot be made in the method you prescribe.

Cheers Peter

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

09/27/2012 7:23 AM

Jmmyadam, you wrote:

'....

2 compression and work

....'

Impossible? Not if you let us in on the secret behind your 2 stroke engine design that performs compression and derives work in the same stroke....

I'm sure I can fit exhaust, admission, and compression into one stroke.... now if you can just add the ability to derive work from that same stroke....

:-P

12/07/2014 6:09 AM

Dear friend,

Good day.pls check this animation hope you will get the answer.

search in youtube .... tai chi engine ... v-zRVRJb9pom4

Best wishes

GM Lama

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

12/07/2014 7:02 AM

Present day yes if speaking of Captured Carbon-CO2. Combustion.

Both liquid piston on hydro shaft.

Carbon expansion to liquid hydro shaft, or combustion force against liquid.

Both are injected engine.

Without being a turbine the piston must engage a second stroke.

Register to Reply

03/14/2017 1:22 AM

I have invented the one stroke motor.

Jmmyadam, you wrote:

'....

2 compression and work

Not impossible at all. Very simple to do actually. All in one cylinder and with one piston. Every half stroke (with a full stroke being a full revolution) is a compression stroke and work stroke as well as exhaust and intake stroke. It's really very simple. The trouble I have is making the simple motor as I have no tools for such. If someone has the ability to do so please feel free to contact me at [Admin removed] and we can discuss a non-disclosure agreement as well as other agreements and I would be willing to share in the credit of bringing the energy saving and doubly powerful one stroke motor to the hands of mankind.

I must admit this motor would be absolutely incredible to see in action as there is no loss of energy from a return stroke and basically will fire twice as fast as any two stroke as it fires every half stroke. BAM BAM! WEEee!

ADMIN - email address removed

From the Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the forum's internal messaging system.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #30

03/14/2017 3:41 AM

In standard engine terms, one revolution is not the same as one stroke. You are mixing the terms together.

In reply to #31

03/14/2017 4:32 AM

Forgive me as I do not speak in the terms of a technical burecrate. But I assume you humbly know what I mean. Half a revolution compared to a full revolution. Therefore one stroke.

Guru

In reply to #32

03/14/2017 4:46 AM

So then what constitutes half a stroke?

In reply to #33

03/14/2017 5:03 AM

I thought you had your mind made up on that one already? Are you forgetful or are you trying to change the paradym? Did you tick the little "off topic" square? What happens when you do? Anyways my one stroke motor as was first explained in my first post qualifies under the premise attached to it.

Ridiculous plurium interrogationum pomposity!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

03/14/2017 5:14 AM

That didn't answer the question.

In reply to #35

03/14/2017 5:39 AM

Yes it did! Your simply not paying attention. Here I'll show you how. Grab a magnifying glass and a ball point pen. See the first letter of the first sentence? Point at the bottom of the letter with the pen. Now move the pen down to the top of the letter of the second line. Ok now did you see that little space in between the letters? Look real close with the magnifying glass at that space and start reading from there down the lines of letters. It should be clear as it is your trying to throw my post of topic. What are you a government hack or stooge of the oil oligopoly?

Guru

In reply to #36

03/14/2017 5:56 AM

That still didn't answer the question, and now you are resorting to silly speculations if not outright lies.

In reply to #36

03/15/2017 9:42 PM

Don't be nasty. If you re read post 18 you will understand very clearly why your explanation APPEARS ridiculous. You are using terms that cannot explain what you are proposing. As an example of what i mean. I have invented a way making a man fly by using his arms to get lift. You and thousands of others will tell me that it is impossible. It is only when i explain that the man uses his arms to start the engine in my 'plane that it becomes possible. The term 'lift' is a red herring. You have said you have a one stroke engine. You don't. Redefine your term or get rid of altogether.

I say again "Don't be nasty"

Jim

In reply to #38

03/16/2017 12:46 PM

Ok I won't be nasty. I guess you think I was nasty because I basically told the guy in round about terms to stuff his horse dropping where he outlets his waffles. I don't appreciate people liked4 him that try to distract people with his blabber so he makes himself feel important. He has absolutely no idea how my engine works not do u. So in fact I may be correct because I AM THE DESIGNER of it and I can call any function of it whatever I want. Ok instead of a stroke im calling the function of that particular part of my engine a "NingComePooper" it's a one NingComePooper engine. I give the credit to him and therefore it carries his name until you decide it's better called a one stroke motor.

• But yes the lug nut has turned this post into a joke.

Where is anonymous when you need them!?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 40 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

DaS Energy (3); energyconversion (4); Henk klep (1); JIMRAT (3); jmmyadam (1); mazhur (1); Mengus (5); mog (2); PWSlack (1); ragavan (1); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (1); theblesser (1); Tornado (6); truth is not a compromise (5); WAWAUS (4)

Previous in Forum: Reg: Vehicle That Runs In Air   Next in Forum: A System to Increase Sea Evaporation

Advertisement