Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: CNC Shop Floor   Next in Forum: 2003 Saturn Vue Clutch Issues!! Help Please!!
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

21 comments
Associate

Hyunda Tucson 2GLS

08/01/2012 3:14 PM

The cigarette power socket does not work. This happeed after a faulty equipment was powered. Any idea where and what to look for to resolve this problem? It seems a minor issue since the other sockets work well: one behind the central arm-rest and the other one at the boot

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 110

Re: Hyunda Tucson 2GLS

08/01/2012 3:27 PM

Check the fuses. I don't know where the fusebox is on your vehicle.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 746
In reply to #1

08/01/2012 4:31 PM

That would be in the owner's manual. :)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1084
In reply to #3

08/01/2012 4:49 PM

The fuse box??????????????????????????

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 746
In reply to #4

08/01/2012 6:03 PM

Yup. Check the index... It will be right in there - pull the bad fuse and replace with the spare inside the owner's manual. :)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 504

08/01/2012 3:56 PM

Fuse box location....

Good Answers: 504
In reply to #2

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2GLS

08/01/2012 6:10 PM

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 402
In reply to #6

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2GLS

08/01/2012 7:40 PM

/That's a funny looking owner's manual...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 157

08/02/2012 4:31 AM

If the fuses are all in order AND the handbook does not detail one for that socket, you may be suffering the dreaded "Far Eastern Car Lurgey", which is what some Eastern manufacturers do, that is, the add an extra "in-line" fuse holder......somewhere else. Not even logically "attached" TO THE UNIT IT POWERS.....

If you are lucky, its in the works manuals at the dealership and its location.....ask there.

Good Answers: 89

08/02/2012 5:23 AM

The cigarette lighters are the first things to fail.

Sell it ASAP but in the mean time you can light your fuses using the old school method.....

In reply to #9

08/03/2012 8:39 AM

Wal, this is really going to work very well. Thanks good friends...I will do just that (check the fuses, not ignite one though!) in the next 30 minutes.

08/02/2012 6:59 AM

I assume you have check your fuse , if not look in the socket mine did'nt work I looked in and a piece of one of the plugs I ouse was there, took it out everything worked.

If you need a new socket don't but from Honda expemsive, go to automotive strre universal replacment for about $8.00 instead of around $42.00 from dealer,. Any good mechanic can installthe universait if it needs different elctrical connectuions.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3

08/02/2012 8:04 AM

Is this a switched socket or is was it on all the time? If it is switched I would suspect a circuit board trace opened on the relay board for the socket. If it's not switched I would check for 12 volts at the "hot" center terminal of the socket using a ground other than the socket common. If you have power but lost the ground it may not be to hard to trace the ground connection and find the burned spot. Likely near the crimp terminal at the socket or ground lug. No 12 volts at the socket may indicate a burned fusible link in the wire somewhere. Since there doesn't seem to be an obivous fuse problem this may be the case. With any luck an online users forum may be able to help locate it.

After you get it working keep the cover over it closed to keep Dimes or whatever the local currnecy out!

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member for some time now, see my profile.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #11

08/02/2012 4:22 PM

Someone is telling you that it's time to stop smoking

Sleepy

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #12

08/06/2012 4:56 AM

I have replaced the blown out 20amp fuse with a 15amp spare provided. The cigarette lighter is back but other accessories are not. I will get the correct amparage later...I normally power my GPS from this socket, hence it needs to be in full working condition all the time. Thanks regards to all CR4 family!

In reply to #15

08/06/2012 5:19 AM

The cigarette lighter is back but other accessories are not.

Then you have another blown fuse...Where did the 15A fuse come from? Are you sure it was spare?

In reply to #16

08/06/2012 5:34 AM

Yep! This one came from the engine compartment fuse box as "spare" (I had the option of a 10 or 15). Other accessories aren't working from the same socket. One such is an FM modulator. I thought it may have something to do with the lower amperage perhaps? The original was 20amps and the new one I installed is 15amp. I will get the correct one soon and see how it responds.

In reply to #17

08/06/2012 5:59 AM

With you now...other plug in accessories.

If you needed more than 15A (unlikely really) then the fuse would just blow.

The accessory plug adaptors themselves often have an internal fuse of a few amps.

open up the plug (unscrew the tip) to check it.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #17

08/06/2012 6:06 AM

There must be another fuse blown or a fault Because the size of the fuse won't stop things from working it will just blow the fuse easier.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #17

08/06/2012 11:21 AM

It should not make any difference. It sounds as though the socket (or the plugs) have a mechanical or contact problem.....dirt may also be a factor.

Plus some some plugs have a fuse built in which may be blown. Generally speaking these are marked as such, but I would not be surprised if they were not....

The worst that can happen if you use the wrong fuse is that it may blow again if too low a current value.....Too high a value will make no difference unless you put something in the socket that shorts it out completely. Then you may burn wires......

In reply to #16

08/06/2012 11:16 AM

You got it I am sure.

GA.

Good Answers: 4

08/02/2012 9:42 PM

I have never worked on your type of car but in a vehicle I had a few years ago it was a Mazda. I lost power on the lighter socket & all fuses were good so I took the socket out of the dash & found the terminal on the back of the socket was a male bullet connector & was made of lead when the socket was over loaded / over heated the lead piece melted & disconnected the power wire. I have not seen any other sockets like this since but it is worth a look you may just find the terminal on the socket has burnt from the over load or possibly there is a fuse behind the socket

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Anonymous Hero (2); brettj1au (2); lyn (1); Maggie1 (3); passingtongreen (1); protchfoird (1); Sleepy (1); SolarEagle (2); TommyTech (1); Usbport (1); Wal (3)

Previous in Forum: CNC Shop Floor   Next in Forum: 2003 Saturn Vue Clutch Issues!! Help Please!!