Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 2000 Chevy Cavalier Won't Start   Next in Forum: Auto Rickshaw Project
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

18 comments
Associate

Will a Bad Brake Booster Cause a Vehicle to Stall?

09/01/2012 1:00 PM

Well I'm pretty sure I need a new brake booster. I did a lot of research on the internet and found that my car has all the symptoms of a bad break booster. I hear constant air coming from the pedal when I brake and its hard to brake. My car idles fine when in park but when I put it in another gear, the idle jumps up and down and the car wants to stall (when it gets low enough the car jerks forward) and sometimes it does stall but it starts up easily. When its in park I turn the wheel side to side and the RPM does the same thing but doesn't stall. The head lights and the dash lights dim when the car is about to stall. It has gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. I thought it was a spark plug at first before it got this bad and now I realize its something worse. The engine is a refurbished one that just got put in a couple of months ago. It has a new battery. I checked the throttle body and its super clean. I had the engine running and was under the hood and didn't hear air coming out so I don't think there is a vacuum leak. I was wondering if my brake booster can be the cause of my car stalling?? or could I need a new IAC valve?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Brake Booster GMC Jimmy Stalling
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1058

Re: Will a bad brake booster cause a vehicle to stall??

09/01/2012 1:09 PM

Yes, that may be the problem.

GET IT FIXED!!!

Driving without adequate brakes will not endear you to anyone, least of all your insurance company, or the person you run over when you can't stop on time.

Take it to the man!!!

Good Answers: 483

09/01/2012 1:43 PM

Guessing without the appropriate testing feedback, is pretty much an exercise in futility....

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #2

09/01/2012 1:45 PM

The vehicle won't idle and it won't stop. What more do you need to know before it gets towed to the shop and repaired?

In reply to #3

09/01/2012 2:17 PM

Maybe this person can't afford to do that, and is forced to rely on friends and personal ability...Maybe this vehicle isn't driven on public roads in traffic....The fact that the vehicle hasn't been towed into the shop for repairs, and the poster is asking for advice on this forum, suggests that there may be extenuating circumstances....But without testing feedback from the troubleshooting process there is little to be gained, especially from someone who thinks that listening for a vacuum leak is a definitive test....

In reply to #4

09/01/2012 2:47 PM

Don't justify driving an unsafe vehicle, just to prove your point.

The OP obviously doesn't have the ability to troubleshoot the problem.

Changing oil and air cleaners is one thing.

Many lives might depend on this vehicle stopping properly in an emergency.

"Maybe this vehicle isn't driven on public roads in traffic" is an irresponsible statement!

Go to the naughty step!

In reply to #5

09/01/2012 3:06 PM

Good Answers: 4

Re: Will a Bad Brake Booster Cause a Vehicle to Stall?

09/02/2012 3:13 AM

well as a beginning you could try disconnecting the vacuum line to the booster & plug it making sure it does not leak & tying to see if it still runs poorly if that stops it from stalling then it is possibly the booster but DO NOT drive the vehicle while you have this set up as brakes will not have vacuum assistance. after that get back to us & tell us what has happened

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 150

09/02/2012 4:45 AM

As Brettj has mentioned, it might be a broken or damaged hose or brake servo or simply a hose has fallen off.....

It might be a cheap fix or a less cheap fix, but you do need to get the car towed to a professional mechanic and not play around here......it is simply too dangerous for all concerned......

09/02/2012 8:24 AM

Pull the vacuum hose to the break booster. With the vehicle parked push on the brakes and if the engine runs properly. Purchase a rebuilt or junk yard booster.

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/02/2012 10:40 AM

Obviously Samantha is not experienced with mechanics thats why she asked us for our opinion but a few simple suggestions & basic diagnosis can give her a rough idea where the problem is so she can tell if the mechanic she goes to see is ripping her off or is being honest & I figure a few basic tests can help diagnose the problem if not no harm no loss as long as the instructions are clear with safety warnings

Power-User

09/02/2012 11:11 AM

Samantha two things if you are looking for a vacuum leak you won't hear it unless it a major 1 you will want to look for hose barbs the thing hoses attach to & hoses that aren't attached to something & also look for splits in hoses all along & right at the barbs.

The other thing you haven't just started using an ethanol blend fuel for the first time? I just went to some ones place they thought it would save money & used it for the first time & their vehicle just ran really rough & wouldn't idle stalled all the time was un drivable they thought it was a major problem & new premium fuel solved their problem.

The difficulty braking is the only symptom that isn't the same that is why I suggested pulling the booster hose off & plugging the end to see if it fixed the problem at idle if it did fix it, the diaphragm is sucking air & as you state you can often hear it inside the car when the pedal is pressed.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #11

09/02/2012 11:21 AM

Well i took off the hose and plugged it up and it did fix the idle problem. Im going to buy a brake booster now and install it. No worries i know how to do it. Thanks everyone for your help!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

09/02/2012 11:29 AM

Excellent!

Good luck!

In reply to #12

09/02/2012 7:52 PM

well we were all wrong you do have mechanical ability & just needed help diagnosing the problem. Good luck to you & hope you get it done without any problems

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #14

09/02/2012 8:56 PM

Yeah i have a little knowledge of a cars engine and what not. The brake light switch gave me a lot of trouble. At the end of it, i couldnt install the booster after all the work because the bolts to get the booster off was behind too many things and its impossible for me to get to. So i have to have a mechanic go through all that. Sucks because i went through everything but oh well. thanks for everything though!

Guru

In reply to #15

09/02/2012 9:06 PM

Welcome to the club.

When the brake booster was installed at the factory, there was no interior, instrument panel, dash or any of that stuff that you can't snake through to get to the nuts on the INSIDE of the vehicle. No motor, either.

This is one of those times when you'd like to be squeezing the privates of the guy who designed it, when you ask him, "Why did you do it that way"?

You did your legwork and found the solution. That deserves a GA!

In reply to #16

09/03/2012 7:07 AM

Oh i really want to do that! Lol and thanks. I need a new stop light swith now lol im scared to put a new one on seeing how the old one was so weird.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #17

09/03/2012 6:56 PM

Sounds like you better make sure your horn works.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); brettj1au (4); lyn (5); rhandwor (1); samantha0440 (3); SHOCKISCAN (1); SolarEagle (3)

Previous in Forum: 2000 Chevy Cavalier Won't Start   Next in Forum: Auto Rickshaw Project