CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Audio Door Phone Connection Diagram   Next in Forum: Recycled Gold
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

Power-User
CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 22

Ad in Magazine Powered by Cell Phone

10/03/2012 2:40 PM

http://mashable.com/2012/10/02/ew-has-smartphone-inside/

"They told us, but we did not believe them: The Oct. 5 print edition of Entertainment Weekly, which features a one-of-a-kind digital ad running video and live tweets, actually has a smartphone inside of it. A real, full-sized 3G cellphone inside a print magazine.

The digital ad is designed to promote the CW network's fresh lineup of action shows (The Arrow and Emily Owens, M.D.) and, when you open the magazine to the ad, the small LCD screen shows short clips of the two shows and then switches to live tweets from CW's Twitter account.

When we spoke to CW representatives earlier this week, they did tell us that "the ad is powered by a custom-built, smartphone-like Android device with an LED screen and 3G connectivity; it was manufactured in China." This is all true, though the device is far more than just "smartphone-like.""

Emphasis added by me. I'm very curious to know if these 'phones' were manufactured for this specifically, or if it's a clever way of reusing or recycling discarded hardware. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy but it appears they only are being sold in NYC and LA.

If you watch the video, you'll notice they find a speaker. That seems to indicate that they were removed from cell phones - possibly broken ones? I know you can buy thousands of exactly the same models at a time. So in theory they could standardize the process and get 1,000 editions out there all the same.

What do you think? Pointless waste or a good idea?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 232

Re: Ad in Magazine Powered by Cell Phone

10/03/2012 6:00 PM

This is within a printed magazine... real pages, ink, lots of slick advertisements... where can you get those now-a-days?

"Pointless waste or a good idea?" I don't see it as a waste. This is an experiment, and results will be gleaned. Good idea? I don't really see that either. But, it's not my idea or experiment.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Audio Door Phone Connection Diagram   Next in Forum: Recycled Gold

Advertisement