so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

4 comments
Participant

Pre-Qualified WPS for Fillet Weld as Per AWS D1.1

11/22/2012 8:57 AM

I want to do fillet welding according to AWS d1.1. So the ITP is asking to use prequalified WPS. But for fillet welds I can not see any prequalified WPS in AWS D1.1. So i made a wps As per B-U2 ( Single VEE Butt weld). But my client is telling it can not qualify fillet welds. So what is the next option..?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 33

Re: Pre-Qualified WPS for Fillet Weld as Per AWS D1.1

11/22/2012 9:29 AM

My friend, who has the authority to decide? Obviously, it is not you. Is it the decision of ITP/WPS to do fillet welding according to AWS d1.1? Did you consult appropriate authority before you made a WPS as per B-U2 ( Single VEE Butt weld)?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

11/22/2012 9:43 AM

The WPS shall be according to AWS D 1.1. There is no dispute in it. The Aramco SAITP for structural fabrication is saying use prequalified WPS. The question is how can i make a prequalified wps for fillet welds since no fillet weld joint designation is available in AWS D 1.1 section 3. But in section 4, note 4 of table 4.2 clearly says that cpj grove weld qualifies fillet weld also. I want to know if this clause is acceptable to prequalified joints also.If not, how can i make prequalified wps for fillet welds??

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1060
In reply to #2

11/22/2012 10:03 AM

What does the client say?

He's the final authority, isn't he?

Providing some anonymous justification from unknown strangers probably won't satisfy the client.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

11/27/2012 5:42 AM

Joint design of fillet weld is so simple that you do not need guiding sketch used in API 1104 to make WPS for pipe joint . Select a plate from similar to the specification of your structure to be welded. If structure is to be made from pipe, cut pieces from the lot and make similar joint that is going to appear on the Project, weld and make a record. If you are going to weld girder to girder or plate to plate, take 3 pairs plate to make "T" joints. Weld in flat position, vertical position and overhead on both sides of plate or otherwise. Make a record of, process of welding, filler metal sizes, electrodes denamination according AWS D1.1, type of electrodes, current amps, welding speed, number of passes, leg size and throat and per-in time for comleted weld. Record must be prepared in both - pipe and plates. If your cilient want non-destructive testing, use ultrasonic/dye-pen to check defect and if your claient need destructive testing ask him whether he need cross-section-cut to inspect the grain size and the heat affected zone. Your proposal to make weld joint with single "V" is not a fillet joint design, it is a groove weld similar to the pipe joint and that is why he did not accept.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AbdulWasay (1); gaganchand (1); Joshi (1); lyn (1)

Previous in Forum: York Manual   Next in Forum: Power Station Operator