CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Grow Lights for Vegetables   Next in Forum: Electric Fixture Safety
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

4 comments
Participant

Identification of Terminals u1 v1 w1 w2 u2 v2 ,

01/11/2013 12:57 PM

i received a three phase motor 86 kw which does not have any terminal box in the motor and wires are also not marked , i try to find the winding i marked six wires as 1,2, as one coil 3,4 next coil and 5, and 6 the third coil , actually it is connected to a star delta starter , now i connect 1, 3, and 5 to main contactor and 2, 4, 6 to the delta contactor when i start the motor in star it is working but as soon as it switch to delta the breaker trips , that was a 100 amps breaker i thought it is small then i changed it to 150 amps breaker but still the breaker is tripping , i tried interchanging wires but of no use i am confused pls give me some suggestion how to find out the terminals what i am connecting is correct, is the breaker small how much starting current a 86 kw , 380 volts motor need in star delta . pls help me how can i solve this problem.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1095

Re: identification of terminals u1 v1 w1 w2 u2 v2 ,

01/11/2013 12:59 PM

Ask the motor manufacturer to indentify them for you.

There is probably a schematic on their web site that will guide you.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 143

Re: Identification of Terminals u1 v1 w1 w2 u2 v2 ,

01/11/2013 8:08 PM

Reversed windings.

Rare but not unknown in a motor returned from a rewind. One out of the three windings has it's start and finish swapped over. For a 400V motor use a 50V AC supply to carry out the tests. Basically we need to make the motor becomes a three winding transformer. Then by measuring the voltage of the secondary the start and finish of each winding can be found.

With the windings correct you can move the meter and test link to any of the following positions and get 0V. If you get 110V twice in the test, you've got a reversed winding.

If unfortunately you manage to pick a reversed winding to start testing it would appear on the first test to be correct by giving 0V output.

Once you move the test voltage to the other windings you will get 110V output. The reversed winding will be common to each pair of output windings that have given 110V.

In reply to #2

01/13/2013 11:27 AM

If you have 6 leads, pairing them into 3 sets is possible by continuity test

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2

01/12/2013 12:37 AM

tonys is correct, you ensure the following also,

1. full load current of motor

2. tripping curve of breaker

3. the motor is dual speed or not

check this article also, http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/71498

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

electrobrains (1); lyn (1); roykav (1); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: Grow Lights for Vegetables   Next in Forum: Electric Fixture Safety

Advertisement