Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Is It Possible for a Sensor to Detect Only Continuous Sound?   Next in Forum: ODTR Test
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 47

LCD Replacement

02/25/2013 1:15 PM

Dear All:

I have to replace a broken 32 characters x 1 line display, part number DMC-32132; but I can't find it, even on ebay, it's too old. There's a few others with a variety of characters and line numbers i.e. 16x2, 20x1, 40x1, 40x2, 32x2, etc. My question is can I use a 32x2 or a 40x2 lines instead?.

My concern is that my original LCD's controller has a function that states the line Number:

Function set 0 0 0 0 1 DL

N

F * * Sets interface data length (DL), number of display line (

N), and character font (F).

37 μs

I will be using line 1, always. Do you think it would work?.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 245

Re: LCD replacement

02/25/2013 1:37 PM

Old parts by themselves can be notoriously difficult to find.

Have you tried to find a similar controller with the required display you could cannibalize for parts?

Yes it is more expensive, but it may be cheaper than trying to redesign the original controller to work with a different display. As for will the alternative displays work, I don't know.

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #1

02/25/2013 1:51 PM

Hello Jack:

Yes, I did; I don't mind sacrificing a whole other apparatus if it has the same display.

If you happen to see one, tell me where.... wait, er.. What?! no cannibal emoticons? OK I go for the closest match:.

Thank you !

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 213

02/25/2013 3:41 PM

Optrex the manufacture is now Kyocera Display might want to check with them.

Good Answers: 29

Re: LCD Replacement

02/25/2013 10:31 PM

These displays use a common driver system, the HD44780.

The chances that the 40 x 1 would work are pretty good - you might get random garbage for the last 8 characters though. If you can get one cheap off eBay and can bear to lose that money if it doesn't work - go for it!

If a 40x2 is cheaper then the first line will be the same as a 40x1. The second line may be filled with blocks. I used white on blue 16x2 and they came up as blocks when not initialised (cleared by software).

Good Answers: 1

02/26/2013 7:41 AM

Hi Yahlasit.

You can use any SERIAL LCD you want provided that you modify the code. Here is the Datasheet link.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/114919/OPTREX/DMC32132.html

Here is the link to how to address the characters:

http://www.eng.uwo.ca/electrical/e-shop/data-sheets/LCD.pdf

What is the LCD used for?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #5

02/26/2013 5:24 PM

Not quite. The DMC-32132 uses an 8 bit or 4 bit parallel bus interface - not serial.

02/26/2013 6:40 PM

I have run into the same problem with an integrated pc that runs our select colder machine. I ended up gutting a newer monitor of its LCD and all the electronic that it uses to operate it. I then removed the busted LCD from the integrated pc and did an entire swap. I wasn't able to hook the power controlling board from the mother board to the newer LCD as the power supplies were rated at different voltage. I was able to solder the monitor cable to the mother board, the I used an externally mounted toggle switch that I soldered leads from my power cord to the power board that energizes the new LCD and to the 120v power cord that now plugs into an outlet to control the on/off function. After buttoning it all up it looked stock with the exception of an extra toggle switch and power cord... any questions?

Good Answers: 59

02/26/2013 9:02 PM

I can give a hint in the right direction.

As long as The character encoding and (polarity) is the same standard way, it ought to come up legible. If formatted strangely, maybe.

Humans are superbly adaptable to readable, but in some sense squirrely displays.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 62

02/26/2013 11:04 PM

According to this your LCD is 44780 compatible so any line number 44780 LCD's will work OK. Functionally that is, it will print the most characters it can hold on first line (only). I' m not sure how you 're going to make a 2 line LCD look decent, sitting in a single line space ... S.M.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Dig_it (1); jack of all trades (1); Johny451 (2); leveles (1); ozzb (1); Robotech (1); SimpleMind (1); Yahlasit (1)

Previous in Forum: Is It Possible for a Sensor to Detect Only Continuous Sound?   Next in Forum: ODTR Test