CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: ETAP 7.0   Next in Forum: Effect On Giving Two Phase 415 Volts Supply Instead of Single Phase and Neutral
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

4 comments

Continous, Intermittent and Standby Loads; Demand Factors?

03/27/2013 11:24 AM

In most oil and gas projects, loads are devided into continuous, intermittent and standby loads; are summed up separately and then applied with 1, 0.5, 0.1 diversity factors for continuous, intermittent and standby respectively. Then,

maximum running load = continuous loads*(1.0) + intermittent loads*(0.50)

Peak Load = continuous load*(1.0) + intermittent loads*(0.50) + standby loads*(0.10)

Are those applied diversity factors: 0.50(for intermittent), 0.10 (for standby) an industry practice? or is there a code that recommends these factors?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 607

Re: Continous, Intermittent and Standby Loads; Demand Factors?

03/27/2013 1:40 PM

That is not a very sensible rationale in the first place. Another recent thread implies that some Iranian code uses it, though.

03/27/2013 2:08 PM

I don't know that there is a particular standard for doing the calculation but i ve seen some engineering consultancies using this method for oil and gas projects .I have also seen this method in below mentioned book.

Handbook of Electrical Engineering:For Practitioners in the Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Industry by Alan L. Sheldrake

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

03/28/2013 11:47 AM

Dear Mr. wael82,

The DIVERSITY FACTOR will be always MORE THAN 1. In your posting you have referred 0.5, 0.10 etc.

Pl. clarify, this, or do you refer DEMAND FACTOR, (which will be always less than 1.0) as DIVERSITY FACTOR.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

05/14/2013 11:45 AM

If i receieve the connected loads, demand factors, and demand load for each load. Further, I managed to obtain what load is continous, intermitent and standby. Then, shall i apply the factors above (1 , 0.5, 0.1) respectively even after applying the deand factor for each load?

It is confusing for me to have two factors, and I don't want to undersize my service, so I hope somebody can enlighten me on whats the difference between demand factor applied to each load, and the factor that is applied to the total intermittent loads for example?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dhayanandhan (1); songsaah (1); Tornado (1); wael82 (1)

Previous in Forum: ETAP 7.0   Next in Forum: Effect On Giving Two Phase 415 Volts Supply Instead of Single Phase and Neutral

Advertisement