CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Image Fusion   Next in Forum: 30% Increase in Fuel Economy for Large Ships
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 4

Texas A&M Physicist Sees Energy Solutions in Green Nuclear Power Technology

05/09/2013 12:53 PM

COLLEGE STATION -- In the mind of Texas A&M University physicist Peter McIntyre, two of America's most pressing energy challenges -- what to do with radiotoxic spent nuclear fuel and dwindling energy resources -- can be solved in one scientific swipe. He is developing the technology that is capable of destroying the dangerous waste and, at the same time, potentially providing safe nuclear power for thousands of years into the future. (Read the rest of the article here.)

An obvious first question, for someone like me who hasn't looked much at nuclear power, is how much fuel is available. Here's an overview article attempting to answer that question.

Another recent article about titanium dioxide provides a counter-argument against putting all our eggs in the nuclear basket. The base article for the thread implies a solution to the nuclear waste issue. IF titanium figures in our energy future in any way (maybe others yet to be discovered), we have a savings account on the moon. (Of course, we would probably get into a conflict, over mining it, with the aliens based there. )

I think all energy solutions requiring chemical extraction from the environment (i.e., from it's natural occurrence) are subject to "finiteness" and possible unknown deleterious effects on the Earth "system." (Just how much of life's evolved status is customized to the existing arrangement of materials in the surrounding environment for life forms? For instance, IF we decided that sea water was of value for some mineral (or even as a source for creating fresh water) how much of a change could/would it withstand (such as salinity, or mineral content) before certain lifeforms might begin to be affected in negative ways leading to a cascade or domino effect? Just a musing. The point being, we don't know.)

Will we someday conclude that low-tech living is the most sustainable paradigm for our species? Or, possibly, locally produced energy (), on an individual residence basis? (Toshiba technology Wiki article.) If so, maybe a combination of methods would power a household. (Somehow, the thought of millions of small nuclear reactors plastered across the map doesn't appeal to me.)

Just looking at the few links I came across in making this post, actually, has me thinking there is no shortage of possible solutions to a sustainable energy future. Lots of minds working on it. Do they have a chance, though, as long as fossil fuels (coal and oil) reign supreme? (i.e., The energy "powers" that be can support or hinder those ideas -- who gets funding, for instance, and then who funds its commercialization, etc., in which case we have to wonder just how many potentially good ideas fall by the wayside.)

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Energy fuel nuclear power
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 523

Re: Texas A&M Physicist Sees Energy Solutions in Green Nuclear Power Technology

05/09/2013 1:02 PM

We will go the cheapest way, it's that simple....

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 759

05/09/2013 2:13 PM

Throw the word "Green" into anything and it becomes a paragon of virtue (except envy).

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #2

05/09/2013 2:47 PM

Also synonymous with inexperienced or naive.

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #2

05/09/2013 7:22 PM

I'll throw couple more in with 'envy'

Being 'green around the gills' is not a virtue.

Being 'green' in reference to experience is usually not a virtue.

Ideas about the etymology of 'Gringo' also comes to mind, but I am pretty sure that bit of folklore is not factually based.

In reply to #5

05/10/2013 12:31 PM

O.K., guys. I think I get it. (But sometimes one never knows for sure. I would have never known it is also a song by Chevelle, whom I also never heard of until now. Too hard and grating for my ears... The dangers of musing and then surfing.) The cake is a lie. (?, Again, learning as I go.)

Where is Inspector Dreyfus? Maybe here? (For my taste, the Steve Martin remakes don't hold a candle.)

(As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #6

05/10/2013 4:37 PM

Thank you for that.

Peter Sellers was brilliant. I needed to see that today.

05/09/2013 3:44 PM

I would say "green" is in the eye of the beholder. Ex: this article. (Each of us could edit that article to fit how we would define green.)

SE, I would modify your statement to "cheapest AND most profitable."

And I understand your reaction to the word, AH.

Likewise, your perspective, Usbport. But I'm not sure naive can be applied across the board, accurately.

That's a problem with using inflammatory words. I wish the lead article had had a better title. But, journalism relies on "good" (or, rather, "catchy," faddish?) headlines inducing one to read the related article. I just copied and pasted it. I hate catch-phrases as much as anyone, because they can turn people off before any discussion gets started. It produces and invites stereotyping. I was more interested in technology than in vocabulary.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Passerby (2); SolarEagle (1); truth is not a compromise (2); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Image Fusion   Next in Forum: 30% Increase in Fuel Economy for Large Ships

Advertisement