CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Skills of a Communication Engineer in a Airport?   Next in Forum: Question About RF Radiated Power Vs Bandwidth
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

24 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 162

How to Easily Connect a USB PC Dongle to an Analog Stereo/Mono Audio Signal

05/09/2013 3:47 PM

I have a need to connect various analog audio devices/signals to stereo Bluetooth headsets via a Bluetooth transmitter. A PC dongle would appear to be a good start, cheap and easily available.

I could buy some complete Bluetooth transmitters, with built in batteries, already built to achieve that, but that makes more bulk and weight, though not that much and I may use this method if I cannot find a way to achieve my aims.

Does anyone here understand how to interface an analog audio output device, whether stereo or mono, to one of these tiny USB PC Transmitter/Receivers (though I only need to transmit to the headsets, not to receive from them, though many headsets do have a mike built in):-

These USB PC Dongles are tiny and very cheap, under US$10! But I simply cannot find a way to easily digitize an Audio source and then apply it to the dongle correctly.

I am hoping that there are some easily obtainable chips to do all the fun stuff.

Any help or information will be most gratefully received.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1099

Re: How to Easily Connect a USB PC Dongle to an Analog Stereo/Mono Audio Signal

05/09/2013 3:57 PM

Pay close attention to this! They reference dongles in it.

My Blackberry is Frozen - YouTube
It won't help you, but it might make you laugh.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #1

05/10/2013 2:15 AM

It helped me and I didn't even have a problem.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #1

05/10/2013 10:48 AM

Brilliant, brilliant and many thanks for sharing.

But it did not help me much on a technical level for some reason!!!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 225

05/09/2013 4:13 PM

Man, that thing is HUGE!

In reply to #2

05/10/2013 10:55 AM

You are fully correct, it is huge and the more modern versions are far, far smaller.

See here, USB connectors, picture taken from Wikipedia:-

The one I posted is the type A in the top left corner, a really HUGE connector, in comparison to the later versions, also depicted!

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 234

05/09/2013 5:16 PM

Why bother reinventing the wheel? First page on a Google search;

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/9198-bluetooth-stereo-transmitter

Adds Bluetooth to devices with 3.5 mm stereo jack.

The MANHATTAN Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter is a small, wireless transmitter that connects with any 3.5 mm stereo jack to provide Bluetooth convenience. It's ideal for use with TVs, game consoles, CD/DVD players, MP3 players, notebook computers or any device with a 3.5 mm stereo jack that could benefit listeners with Bluetooth connectivity. An LED indicates device connection and charging status. With one-touch pairing, wireless music and other audio is enjoyed with A2DP- or AVRCP-enabled headphones, speakers.

In reply to #3

05/10/2013 11:12 AM

Dear RAMConsult,

you appear to have poor reading or cognitive functions, I cannot say which without an examination by a local Doctor.

In my second paragraph/sentence I wrote this (please look back and check for yourself), to offset anyone mentioning the units you mentioned:-

I could buy some complete Bluetooth transmitters, with built in batteries, already built to achieve that, but that makes more bulk and weight, though not that much and I may use this method if I cannot find a way to achieve my aims.

What were you imagining that I was talking about?

What my aims are, are to basically build effectively a USB device inside the equipment, with a USB socket on the outside, to be able to plug in one of those USB Bluetooth sticks that I pictured. I would anticipate supporting both USB 1.1 and 2.0.

Compatability for true 3.0 is a bit over the top I feel and not needed, especially as USB levels are downwards compatible.....

I assume that I will need a PIC or similar to both control the chip for "pairing" for example and maybe also to digitize the audio signals before applying them to the USB Bluetooth stick.

I am hoping for a "quick & dirty" solution from someone here....otherwise I will buy the finished version mentioned twice now, and accept the extra weight that I also previously mentioned that I wanted to avoid.....

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 234
In reply to #8

05/10/2013 3:52 PM

My engineering skills picked up where my cognitive skills failed me. You said easy, light, battery powered. Use your cognitive skills to tell the forum what's easier than buying something that is COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf), lighter than 19.8 grams, occupies a space 70x23x17 mm, has 6.5 hrs of battery life (the battery/charger takes up most of the space), and comes with all the necessary approvals like GMbH.

I simply used the specs that you provided, if you want more battery/power in a smaller form factor (0.7 oz seems pretty light) like a spy mike or surveillance bug, then put it in your specs, and raise your level of effort and price an order of magnitude or more.

BTW-I guess that you'll find my cognitive skills in the same place that you left your interpersonal skills/meds. Have a nice day and don't forget to thank the other forum members for their assistance...

In reply to #13

05/10/2013 4:03 PM

If you really did read and understand, you would have seen my thank you well before your post telling me to do it........it was post #10, yours was #12 I believe!

DUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 446

05/10/2013 7:09 AM

Don't know if this will help. I saw a pair the other day for about 8 bucks. It will transmit from any source, from the looks of it. The one I saw didn't have a mic.

http://www.cnewindow.com/cool-wireless-headphone-with-tower-receiver-and-spy-voice-recording-p-3596.html

In reply to #5

05/10/2013 11:15 AM

The "Tower" part is simply too big, the converters already mentioned are far smaller and probably lighter too....but thanks for the thought.

05/10/2013 11:21 AM

Firstly thanks to all who have already contributed in some way and any others who may contribute in the future.

It would appear that I have found an area where we (CR4) have little or no expertise available (really surprising indeed), which is really sad for me, but nobodies fault, so I will have to press on, on my own, and see if it is possible to develop such a unit, of buy the ready made ones....

But I will give it a week or more time, just in case someone out there really does know how I should approach this problem.....in the meantime, I will try and find some ready made chips that will allow me to achieve my goal or not!!

05/10/2013 12:00 PM

In reply to #11

05/10/2013 3:35 PM

Does nobody read and understand here?

That is now the third time that these units have been mentioned, I was the first, saying that I did not want to use them due to weight considerations, but I will if there is no better way.....

Please Guys, stop mentioning them, I have ordered one for evaluation over a month ago, it has still not arrived, though I was warned that it would take a month or more, its still a long time in 2013.....

I have found chips and finished PCBs, really cheap, great units, but I don't want to buy 3000 at a time, or even 1000 or 500......so that may not be a valid option and I will have to go with the finished units that everybody keeps mentioning!!!!

In reply to #12

05/10/2013 4:08 PM

Being an a$$hole probably isn't going to garner you much assistance.

Good luck on your quest.

In reply to #16

05/10/2013 4:59 PM

It sounds as though you are very experienced in such matters, luckily I am not!!! I bow to your greater experience(s?) and knowledge in such matters.....

Have a great day anyway.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #18

05/10/2013 5:18 PM

Nice way to dingle the dongle.

In reply to #19

05/10/2013 6:54 PM

LOL!!!

In reply to #18

05/10/2013 5:18 PM

Guilty as charged, and the hat fits well.

But I do make an effort not to insult people that are trying to help me out.

In reply to #20

05/10/2013 7:10 PM

You supplied nothing extra that was in the least useful, as the information you supplied was contained in my original question - if you had taken the time to understand it fully before replying, you would not have put finger to keyboard......why should I be grateful, for what????

I need good in depth infos, stuff that I am not already aware of, from people with great knowledge.....'nuff said?

Tip, never lose your cool.....

By the way, you don't lose your cool, you appear to simply throw it away......

Still I wish you a great day, tomorrow might be even better.....

In reply to #22

05/10/2013 11:47 PM

No worries brother.

Some of the most interesting threads come from people that are incapable of figuring it out for themselves, and then getting outraged when the perfect answer doesn't show up within 6 posts.

Keep up the good work.

05/10/2013 4:08 PM

Hi Andy,

What your are trying to accomplish is do-able, but complex. The analog to digital (ADC) is something that a PIC could handle, but 8-bit PICs really struggle with more complex protocols like USB. A few years ago I loooked into using an usb memory stick on a PIC project and quickly gave up on it. The USB 2.0 spec is 650 pages, but this site does a good job of deciphering it http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.shtml. On my project, I used an SD card instead which still severely taxed the PIC. Another option is using an ARM or Arduino processor. You could experiment with some development kits (like the raspberry pi) to see what the processor would do. At the very least, check out the developer forums for the raspberry pi, ARM and PICS to see if anyone else has done something similar. When you get an idea of what is involved you can decide which route (off the shelf vs. develop your own) is best for you.

Stilicho

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #15

05/10/2013 4:46 PM

GA.

Some really good sensible suggestions, many thanks.

Good Answers: 9

05/10/2013 11:09 PM

G'day Andy, it might have helped if you mentioned earlier that you had already sourced and ordered a proprietary unit. Nuf Sed

What do you expect to use as a power supply for the A to D converter?

What sample rate do you want?

What frequency?

If you know the answers to these questions you will be able find the device you want.

Jim :)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (11); Doorman (1); JIMRAT (1); kramarat (5); ky (2); lyn (1); RAMConsult (2); Stilicho (1)

Previous in Forum: Skills of a Communication Engineer in a Airport?   Next in Forum: Question About RF Radiated Power Vs Bandwidth

Advertisement