CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Are Rotational Molds Movable From Shop To Shop?   Next in Forum: Calculation of Overhead Costs for Lathe Machine
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Diameter of Skirt for Hemispherical Head

05/10/2013 12:47 AM

Dears

Can somebody tell me is there any standard to decide diameter of skirt support where the type of head is Hemisperical one??

Also please tell me when Y-ring option is selected instead of skirt welded directly to hemispherical head??

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Hemispherical Head
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 709

Re: Daimeter of Skirt for hemispherical head

05/10/2013 3:42 AM

I don't think there is a standard for this; you may design it at your own option, so long as it meets strength requirements.

In reply to #1

05/10/2013 4:17 AM

Thanks!!. However In my opinion mean diameter of hemispherical head shoud match with mean dia of skirt support if there is a sufficient clear gap between butt weld joint of shell to head and skirt support to head.Correct me if I am wrong.

Your reply that "there is no standard applicable" is valid also for selection of forged Y-ring?? OR Y-ring should be selected in certain cases like creep temp. range etc.

And if one decide to go for Y-ring then how to decide the dimensions of this Y-ring??

Is there any standard of any PMC available?? OR is there any standard procedure to dimention Y-ring??

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 648

05/10/2013 4:07 AM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 709
In reply to #2

05/12/2013 7:51 PM

I have seen vessel skirts anywhere from o.d. = shell o.d. down to stanchions of pipe. I think you are right to mention the distance between head-to-shell and head-to-skirt joints.

I am not familiar with the Y-ring terminology, and again I don't know of any standards for it. However, seismic considerations (e.g., overturning moment) may apply.

Good Answers: 5

Re: Diameter of Skirt for Hemispherical Head

05/12/2013 6:48 PM

Most times the skirt goes around the waist .. or the ankles if you're really lucky..not the Hemishperical head...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bht2010 (1); PVnilesh (1); PWSlack (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Are Rotational Molds Movable From Shop To Shop?   Next in Forum: Calculation of Overhead Costs for Lathe Machine

Advertisement