CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Cannot Be Processed?   Next in Forum: Pneumatic Torque Wrench with Range 0 to 50Nm
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Participant

ASTM Standards

08/23/2013 3:40 AM

How can I select a standard for fabrication?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: "ASTM"
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

Re: ASTM STANDARDS

08/23/2013 4:06 AM

1. Turn off Caps Lock.

2. Go to the library, pull them off the shelf, and go to the check-out desk presenting a valid Reader's Ticket.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754

08/23/2013 4:55 AM

Select whichever standard(s) are in force in the location(s) where you wish to sell your product(s).

(In a sense, the standards will select you rather than you selecting them.)

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Popular Science - Cosmology - Beam me up Scotty!

Good Answers: 5

08/23/2013 7:22 AM

You might start with the AHJ (Authority having Jurisdiction) Your code office or an architect. If you have to ask this question please don't fabricate anything until you find out.

Good Answers: 4

Re: ASTM Standards

08/23/2013 9:11 AM

You can try searching in the IHS standards store for ASTM Standards.

http://global.ihs.com/astm_bos.cfm

Also, here is a document with some background on standards.

http://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/test_measurement_equipment/calibration_instruments_standards_reference_sources/standards_technical_documents

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

08/23/2013 9:58 AM

There are several organizations where you can find Standards for almost any type of engineering process, including, of course, manufacturing and fabrication. As a practical engineers with many years of expertise, I recommend and I use frequently the IHS Standards Store (http://global.ihs.com/), the leading global source for analytics and information.

Once you are at the portal of IHS Standards Store you can search for a Standards by entering the document number (all Standards have a reference number) or the title of the document (if you know it), or by entering a keyword. For example, you may want to try this, I just entered the keyword "fabrication" in the search box and I got 350 Standards associated with fabrication and manufacturing. The result includes standards for civil engineering fabrications (i.e. bridges), mechanical engineering fabrications (gears, etc.), electrical engineers (semiconductor processes, etc.) and so on.

For each document you can see the details and an abstract, before buying it. The prices vary from a few dollars to hundred of dollars depending on the importance, details and size.

I really recommend the IHS Standards Store where you have in one place thousands of standards at your finger tips.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 111

08/23/2013 11:06 AM

I suppose you could select carelessly or carefully. I recommend the latter.

Good Answers: 1141

08/23/2013 1:28 PM

Ask the customer what standards are required for this project.....If they don't seem to be correct, then recommend the proper standard....You should be familiar with the standards that apply to the type of work you do....If you aren't, then I would recommend you acquire the printed standards that apply and study them until you can quote for any situation(or at least know where to find it)....Standards will vary in different parts of the world, and certification will be required....Standards are like laws, they are to be obeyed, it's not a choice....

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Popular Science - Cosmology - Beam me up Scotty!

Good Answers: 5

08/23/2013 10:07 PM

I know it sounds great to spend a year reading all of the standards in the Ihs store that reference fabrication, the very meaning of fabrication which is very vague what are you fabricating? i still recommend however to avoid confusion, and to focus on the specifics of a project or projects you are looking at contact either the local AHJ., code office, or the project architect. Whatever you do, don't bid a project or start one without knowing what standards you need to conform with.

Good Answers: 168

08/23/2013 11:12 PM

First - Welcome to CR4!

Second - What do you want to fabricate? There is no way anyone can recommend a standard when they have no idea what you want to make, nor what objectives you have for the fabricated item(s).

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)

08/25/2013 1:12 PM

09/01/2013 8:52 AM

Dear Balaji,

1: 1st Decide what u want to fabricate.

2: Then find what are stds that normaly used for similar products.

3: Find where you want to sell the product.

4: Find which standard your coustomer prefer

5: Now u can finalise the std. ( Some time u may decide for more than one std / code )

6:Then approch std publisher for getting copy of std.

7: Study it, understand it, interpret it as suitable for your product.

8: Make quality plan for this.

9: Decide a 3rd party inspection to approve your quality plan.

These are minimum that coming in my mind first.

Further u need to make a quality manual, procedures, formats as per the code/std asks.

If factory is not yet built, u need to make a layout of the factory as required for the product and production capacity.

Then need to make a project report

U need to make an estimate for man, machine, finance etc etc....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

1tech (2); amichelen (1); C K ManojKumar (1); ci139 (1); dkwarner (1); K_Fry (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); terrapin (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Cannot Be Processed?   Next in Forum: Pneumatic Torque Wrench with Range 0 to 50Nm

Advertisement