CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What is the Relation Between the Mathematics and the Engineering?   Next in Forum: Coulombic Spacecraft Propulsion
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 59

Shark Skateboard Wheels

09/14/2013 1:11 AM

I would like to see more research done on them other than what some users think.

I could see how having a 'treaded' wheel on a skateboard would help, but my first thought is...I need more info.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537100752/shark-wheel-the-square-skateboarding-wheel-that-sh

Drew K

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1116

Re: Shark skateboard wheels

09/14/2013 3:13 AM

I say if kids fall for this, they are likely to become golfers or fishermen when they grow up.

I know of no other groups who spend more money on fads and gimmicks than kids, golfers and fishermen.

The only way to get more traction from less contact area is with softer compounds that will wear out more quickly.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 463
In reply to #1

09/14/2013 11:29 AM

Hey! I resemble that comment.

I just got done tying about 15 rods and reels to the top of my van. There is no such thing as too much fishing stuff.

As far as those skateboard wheels...

I could see them being problematic for the guys that do tricks, like jumping, riding handrails, etc. It seems like they might screw up the trajectory of the board.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #5

09/14/2013 11:43 AM

These are just the clubs I keep in the house. I have many more "old" clubs in the workshop.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #6

09/15/2013 8:53 AM

I like the "trendy" use of duct tape there!

In reply to #8

09/15/2013 10:02 AM

It sets me apart from the crowd.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 615

09/14/2013 4:27 AM

Next time somebody asks for a student ME project, offer this idea.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 229

09/14/2013 8:00 AM

Isn't the best research on a product what the user thinks. Their the ones that are going to use and buy them. We are talking about a limited market, skateboards. So why not let them test the effectiveness.

Now if you looking for new tires for that bike. Id stick with the conventional round tires for awhile. When they get to using the design shape for automotive tires you can be sure more testing will be done.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 595

09/14/2013 9:35 AM

Consider why tires have a tread pattern. Unless these treads are to deal with a skim of dirt on the hard pavement, I do not see any advantage but marketing to the gullible.

Good Answers: 535

Re: Shark Skateboard Wheels

09/14/2013 1:14 PM

Haven't skateboarded for a while....

This was state-of-the-art in my day.....

So I would have to look for celebrity endorsement for recommendation.....

Good Answers: 11

09/15/2013 10:56 AM

Living between a commuter rail station and the local skateboard track installation, plus a neighbour's dog that goes nuts with the noise from passing skateboarders, (max piercing frequency unknown), then surely technology like the tweel scaled down to skateboard proportions could offer more take up by the devotees. (A tweel is another airless tyre available in big and small sizes).

It could offer more grip with the built in suspension effects, (tread is optional), and generally quieter running. Have I taken the fun out of it all?

The tweel also has parallels in the 2005 TADWA BEACH TREKKER, (search the web), for taking people in wheel chairs onto the beach.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member for some time now, see my profile.

Good Answers: 3

09/18/2013 12:57 PM

Guys,

I just replied to this and got a form not recognized or similar message.

Those words have now vanished; I was merely pointing out that the fishermen and golfers MAY have an expensive sport or pastime but I can think of many more!

Cycling, Motor racing, Drag racing, Horse Racing, Skiing, Yachting esp in the heavier categories....... I could go on and on but I suspect that I will be dumped again so I will keep it brief.

Enjoy,

SLEEPY

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 161

09/20/2013 11:26 AM

So do you often skate through standing water? When you do is hydroplaning a problem?

If hydroplaning is not a problem (assuming you are staying on paved surfaces), there isn't much need for a recessed pattern on the tread.

Why would they choose that pattern for the tread anyway?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 59

09/20/2013 11:41 AM

When I look at the contact patch I can see that it is smaller than that of a solid wheel of the same material. This would mean less traction, but because of the wavy patern, and the fact that the profile of that contact patch changes could it act like an anti-lock system?

Would this make a slide more controllable or less?

Would it make the wheel more likely to slide or less.

You also have a bending and stretching that will be increased before traction is broken.

Thoughts?

Drew K

Good Answers: 11

09/20/2013 11:50 AM

Speak with skateboarders and they don't see treads as a plus ... particularly when doing tricks like slides. And the common view is that treads on skate wheels don't last long anyway. (Not deep enough).

A quick look at truck rating websites to choose wheels and HARDNESS and WHEEL DIAMETER are seen as more important than treads. Indeed, treads don't get a mention on some sites.

DUROMETER

If you ride vert: You'll find that most vert surfaces are designed for harder wheels - they are smooth to combat the lack of vibration dampening and somewhat grippy to make the slick wheels easier to control. Go with a set of wheels at the higher end of the durometer scale: think 97A or above.

If you ride street: Skaters who enjoy the technical side of the sport need a wheel that will add pop and road feel to their set-up. Hard wheels - 97A and higher - are best for all of you park riders.

If you are an all-around rider: If you rarely go anywhere without your skate, you may fall into this category. All-around skaters like to cruise around town, but can also drop in on a pool any day of the week. You'll need to compromise a little, so go for a medium-hard wheel, somewhere between 90A and 97A.

If you cruise/longboard: Pavement tends to be bumpy and cracked, so a set of wheels that will ease the rattle of the road will make your board feel and perform much better. Soft wheels are designed for just this purpose; with durometer ratings of 75A through 85A (78A is pretty standard), cruising wheels help dampen the vibrations to let you glide with style.

Bottom line, there is a significant range of durometers, so be careful to choose a wheel with a hardness that compliments the type of riding you prefer. Harder wheels, typically defined as those with a durometer of 90A or above, are designed for technical skating. Powerslides, ollies and other tricks are easier with hard wheels, so street and vert skaters tend to prefer these. Unfortunately, hard wheels don't dampen the vibrations caused by rough roads, so if you enjoy cruising more than tricks you may want to opt for a softer durometer. Softer wheels are slower and wear out faster, but they make riding on bumpy surfaces more comfortable and fun.

DIAMETER

The diameter, or size, of your wheels affects your board's top speed, acceleration and ability to turn. Skate wheels are measured in millimeters and typically range in size from 49-75mm. Bigger wheels will give you a faster ride, because a single rotation will cover more distance. However, it's more difficult to make sharp turns on larger wheels and they don't accelerate as fast as their smaller counterparts. Small wheels are also more effective for street skating maneuvers such as powerslides and blunts, so take your style of riding into consideration, as always, when deciding on a new set of wheels.Here are some suggestions for wheel size based on your type of riding.

If you ride vert: You want faster wheels, so go with some biggies. Try out something between 55-65mm, but you may find that you want to go even larger down the line.

If you ride street: Think small if you like to do technical tricks. Smaller wheels equal a lighter board with a lower foundation, ideal for street riding. Pick out wheels with a diameter somewhere between 50-55mm. If you are an all-around rider: As discussed in the durometer section, all-around skaters will need to find a middle ground when it comes to wheel size. Select some mid-sized wheels - somewhere between 52-60mm - and you'll find that you can tackle most terrain comfortably.

If you cruise/longboard: Longboarders and other riders who like to carve out sections of road on big, fat boards tend to require larger wheels to give them speed and stability. Longboard-specific wheels are generally about 64-75mm in diameter, but there are even larger wheels out there if you so desire.

Bottom line, the larger the wheels, the faster you go; the smaller the wheels, the closer to the ground you'll ride and the lighter your board will be. It should also be noted that smaller people tend to do better riding on smaller wheels, while larger people might feel more comfortable on bigger wheels. This is all a matter of riding style and personal preference, so use these ranges as a starting-off point and determine the best fit for your own set-up.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Don from Oz (2); Drew K (1); kramarat (1); lyn (3); ozzb (1); redfred (1); Sleepy (1); SolarEagle (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: What is the Relation Between the Mathematics and the Engineering?   Next in Forum: Coulombic Spacecraft Propulsion

Advertisement