CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Voice Controls Can Be Surprisingly Distracting to Drivers   Next in Forum: Wood Cars
Close
Close
Close
29 comments
Power-User

Are We Ready For Self-Driving Cars?

11/27/2013 10:37 AM

Advanced technologies are always welcomed by Americans, and now they have to show that they are ready to accept a car that can drive itself, which is one of the most significant innovations that we've seen in the past couple of decades. With the way self-driving technology has progressed in recent years, we can expect to see fully-autonomous cars hitting the streets in about 10 - 15 years.

Do you see yourself driving an autonomous car in near future?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 472

Re: Are we ready for self-driving cars?

11/27/2013 11:00 AM

I don't think it will happen, regardless of how far the technology comes.

First of all, I don't think people will be willing to give up the sense of control they have while driving, despite the fact that a computer can do it better and safer.

Secondly, the revenue stream that comes from human drivers will not be relinquished. Although there are accidents, the money that flows from DUIs and traffic tickets, (into state and local coffers), will never be eliminated.

In reply to #1

11/27/2013 11:24 AM

Add there the tech-related cons like dangers from hacking, limitation for customization etc.

Anyways, i am curious to see the expected Tesla model.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

11/27/2013 11:08 AM

Yes, and ownership could then become a thing of the past.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

11/27/2013 11:27 AM

AFAIK The unresolved barrier preventing fully autonomous cars will be liability issues and not the capability of the technology. Certainly the owner of an autonomous vehicle cannot escape the liability issue of proper maintenance. Will use of autonomous drive vacate owner liability in the event of an accident if all systems are found to be working properly at the time of the accident? Will liability insurance rates on autonomous vehicles drop? Will this necessitate autonomous vehicles tracking human or program operation of the vehicle? Will the autonomous operation liability holder be allowed to monitor and save all pertinent operations including human control performance? Will this data be available to legal authorities with or without a warrant?

I do not see these questions as an insurmountable barrier to autonomous drive but to my knowledge they have not been fully vetted by the public.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

11/27/2013 12:05 PM

Another question popped in my head. Will unoccupied autonomous operation be legal?

In reply to #9

11/27/2013 1:03 PM

That would be cool too.

You could send the car out for pizza, and just have them put it in the seat.

...or program it to pick you up at the airport.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703
In reply to #11

11/27/2013 1:08 PM

It would, therefore, put car parking revenue into the history books too. Think of all the land space that could be released for solar energy capture to power them all...

Imagine a world where one simply dials in a departure point, a destination, and a pool vehicle arrives and drops one at the destination automatically. Heck - it could even do it overnight - "I'm leaving now, Dear. See you at breakfast."

In reply to #12

11/27/2013 2:03 PM

Ah! Now I get the ownership thing.

That would be nice. It would ease the traffic issues for people like me, that have to carry ladders and tools.

If I wasn't working, I would be happy to get rid of ownership, and just call a car when I needed one.

In reply to #11

11/27/2013 3:59 PM

What about car maintenance. The car drives itself to and from the shop.

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #14

11/27/2013 4:01 PM

What shop. It fixes itself.

Has a 3-D printer in the trunk to make new items.

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

11/27/2013 11:45 PM

Self driven cars would be computer controlled & driven probably with under ground electric supply, maintaining safe distance from other vehicles etc. Traffic cops, ticketing, pollution on roads etc will vanish, break down services might increase. However, components will be much less & simpler

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 158

Re: Are We Ready For Self-Driving Cars?

11/27/2013 11:31 AM

No. It will happen eventually, but not anytime soon:

1. Computer programs depend on sensors - and they fail. "Garbage In Garbage Out".

2. Programmers make mistakes - all programmers.

3. When #1 & #2 coincide, you get the biggest fuster-cluck you have ever seen.

Good Answers: 1141

11/27/2013 11:56 AM

It would be nice to have your car drive you home when you've been drinking....avoid the DUI or leaving your car someplace(you might forget where) or waiting for a ride....

In reply to #6

11/27/2013 12:01 PM

That would be awesome!!

Not just drinking either....think of the possibilities.

I can't make out the writing on the front. Does that say SolarEagle?

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 921
In reply to #6

11/27/2013 8:01 PM

Wouldn't work in Florida if there was any way for someone to take manual control, you could be in the trunk and they will still arrest you because you have the means to drive DUI.

You should know that just having keys in your hand is enough to get you a DUI down here.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 269

11/27/2013 11:59 AM

Okay we all become passengers. The liability issues become the automakers. Hey I'm not in control. The car has an accident why should I be liable. So they need to be insured not me. Don't need a drivers license or insurance I not driving.

Not going to happen. So why give up control.

Also think there will be problems with the auto insurance companies to insure them.

11/27/2013 12:53 PM

No, not ever.

And one would not "drive" an autonomous car. One would ride in it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 210

11/27/2013 6:57 PM

unfortunately I can easily envision a day in my lifetime that the freedom of driving will be impinged on by government requiring that all cars on certain roadways be equipped with technology that works in conjunction with "smart highways"(for increased capacity and smoother traffic flows.) I'll even go so far as to guess California being the first to strip driving privileges.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

11/27/2013 7:12 PM

B-b-but dude....you'll be saving the planet.

You won't need cars; you'll have a $65 billion high speed rail.

Don't you want to visit San Francisco?

Good Answers: 210
In reply to #17

11/27/2013 7:15 PM

that thing will never work, its just a giant sinkhole they throw money into

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 104

11/28/2013 1:52 AM

I'm getting sick of driving.

I've been considering employing a driver.

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 23

11/28/2013 10:16 AM

I may consider owning one if it is capable of finding a daily parking spot and self parking itself in the streets of midtown Manhattan in NYC without getting any bumper dents and scratches..

In reply to #22

11/28/2013 10:29 AM

Why would you want to own a car in midtown Manhattan in NYC when you live in Manila?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

11/28/2013 11:55 AM

He doesn't live anywhere near Manhattan. It is impossible to park any vehicle on the streets of Manhattan and not get dents and scratches. The alternate sides of the street parking rules will guarantee dents and scratches if nothing else.

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

In reply to #23

11/28/2013 12:24 PM

Well I still own my house in the city, that's why?

And RedFred is quite correct, it is near impossible to find a street parking in Manhattan! But why not if the technology is up it already?

11/29/2013 9:08 AM

It will happen. It is not a very smart thing to do, and has a lot of drawbacks, but it will happen. Why? Technical people like to push the limit of possibilities, I am one of those but that is not the biggest reason. The biggest reason is we have too many lawyers. This would be the biggest boon to the legal profession that has come in a long time. First the fight over to do it at all, legally. But then once it is done, who do you sue. The human wasn't driving the car, was he? The designer only designed a capability. The manufacturers who can't even build the perfect car, even though that is impossible. The mechanic who did work on the car, did he mess up something? The various electro-mechanical fields surging through our environment, from the sun, from emergency channels, from cell phone, from broadcast media, not to account for intentional pulses meant to disable. Lawyers would love the unanswered questions about liability, and remember they really don't care who wins, as long as they get their money. We have lots of lawyers in congress and senate of both state and national so we will defiantly move that way. The trucking industry had the chance to move to this technology many years ago, but as a group decided it was better for the drivers to maintain all control and to install the sensors to alert the driver and have the ability for the trucking company to monitor the drivers. Not all of the trucking companies installed the equipment, but those who have reported improvements. Besides, the equipment to monitor only with alerts was a lot cheaper, and if something went wrong with the equipment, the driver was still ultimately responsible. I think that is a better way to go, although equipment to slow down the speed for an impaired driver might be good.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #26

11/29/2013 9:42 AM

"But then once it is done, who do you sue."

Simple: Everyone. However, the entity with the deepest pocket is first.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

11/29/2013 10:20 AM

"We have lots of lawyers in congress and senate of both state and national "

That's why the country is so screwed up now. They spend all their time looking for bribes and campaining for the next election and they don't have time for anything constructive.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

11/29/2013 11:13 AM

"...and they don't have time for anything constructive."

Like reading the Bill before voting on it.

Or, better yet, taking an extended vacation.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 29 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

4wsilver (1); Anonymous Hero (3); Fredski (2); GMZ Ahsan (1); Jordan Perch (1); Kilowatt0 (1); kramarat (5); lyn (4); ozzb (1); PWSlack (2); redfred (4); SolarEagle (1); vsar (2); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Voice Controls Can Be Surprisingly Distracting to Drivers   Next in Forum: Wood Cars

Advertisement