CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Surface Cracks In Hot Rolled Plates   Next in Forum: Magnetizing
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Paradigm Shift to R&D in Chemical Manufacturing

01/29/2014 11:56 AM

The Chemical Manufacturing Industry has always been a prime target for regulators. This has forced the industry to engage in greener and safer technologies and manufacturing of their products. From food chemicals to new age fuel cells the chemical industry has undergone a huge paradigm shift towards R&D.

Long gone are the days when companies manufactured a standard set of products. The industry has been forced to rethink their strategy towards their customers and markets.

Chemicals alone amounting to over $20 Billion in R&D investment in 2013 of which the US accounts for over 30%. This has led to newer, safer products and subsequently a bigger challenge to adopt to newer manufacturing methods, equipment and systems.

IT transformation is synonymous with this change. The chemical industry is now outgrowing their conventional systems which have been largely deployed for qualitative benefits, and are now moving into quantitative benefits. Optimization of Supply Chain, Order Capture and Mobility are a few of the areas where the industry stands to gain.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Re: Paradigm Shift to R&D in Chemical Manufacturing

01/29/2014 3:48 PM

Not sure why you posted this. It makes no sense as a stand alone statement.

I think it belongs in the commercial section.

One only needs to look at West Virginia to see that MORE, not less, regulation is needed in the chemical industry!

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Control Engineering Technical Fields - Education - Industrial Training Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Manufacturing Training Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical engineering Training Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Instrumentation Engineering United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - Become part of the larger group, change your world.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

01/29/2014 6:02 PM

Lyn, if only you had a dime for every post you said little more than "belongs in commercial". If you are interested in the chemical industry, the stats are value added contents. If what you read does not make sense to you, or you are just not interested, why reply (or heckle) the poster? It adds to the negative atmosphere of this discussion board. Don't get me wrong, i agree with your WV part of comment, just not the other two sentences.

In reply to #2

01/29/2014 6:59 PM

I might have a dollar.

You protest because I gored your personal Ox once. I suggested that your commercial thread, thinly disguised as something else was misplaced.

Let's look at it.

"The Chemical Manufacturing Industry has always been a prime target for regulators"

Nothing here but sour grapes. No basis for discussion.

"paradigm shift towards R&D" Nope, nothing here either.

The chart? Yes, it is! A chart.

Is this, "IT transformation is synonymous with this change." the germane thrust of the discourse?

"The chemical industry is now outgrowing their conventional systems which have been largely deployed for qualitative benefits, and are now moving into quantitative benefits. Optimization of Supply Chain, Order Capture and Mobility are a few of the areas where the industry stands to gain."

Please explain to me where I heckled anybody.

Does this make sense to you? Any meat for discussion? What's the point of this thread? I see no question and no call for discussion.

That's just my opinion.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Control Engineering Technical Fields - Education - Industrial Training Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Manufacturing Training Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical engineering Training Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Instrumentation Engineering United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - Become part of the larger group, change your world.

In reply to #4

01/30/2014 9:44 AM

The first two sentences I perceived as heckling. I did not see what the poster was trying to sell ("commercial") as you implied, if they were. It does, in my opinion inspire conversation as demonstrated by my reply to their post and jhhassociates reply. Just my opinion, but i do not think every post has to ask a question in order to qualify as being a value added post. It can be just an informative blog post, and still be a value added post, and possibly strike up conversation and/or questions from the readers instead of the poster.

But the bottom line is if I personally do not perceive the post as valuable to me, interesting to me, I move on. I do not presume just because I do not see the value, it must be valueless to the rest of the world who may read it. (unless I am the moderator and/or owner of the discussion group.) I do not comment just for the sake of tell poster they should never had shared the post with us.

In reply to #6

01/30/2014 11:09 AM

Interestingly two out of three of your posts here are completely off topic and have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

I was hoping to find some rational reason for the entire post. Never mind.

Always drink upstream from the herd.

<unsubscribe>

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #2

02/03/2014 5:02 PM

"....Lyn, if only you had a dime for every post...."

....Then it would only take to for a 'Paradigm Shift'.....BahZiiiiinnnngg!

Really though, the comment Lyn made is completely appropriate and understandable. What isn't easy to understand is your motivation to come to the defense of the original patronizing oleaginous rambling post.

In reply to #10

02/04/2014 1:29 AM

"....Then it would only take two for a 'Paradigm Shift'....."

Darn it.

01/29/2014 6:12 PM

All industries are constantly evolving, some more than others. Companies should know that and be agile. Like Lyn was eluding to, it doesn't matter how many regulations we have to keep us safe if we cut back the budget of the governing bodies so much they do not have the staff to enforce it. Before WV, it was TX, both not that there where not enough regs, but that there was not enough inspectors/inspections to enforce the existing regs. The article eludes to another part of the complex problem, regulations need reformed. As industries change, so should the regulations. Just as companies must be agile to change with changing times, so does our Gov/Regulations. It is always about balance.

Good Answers: 116
In reply to #3

01/30/2014 8:02 AM

The US chemical was a long way behind Europe in terms of safety, productivity and emissions. Much of the increased spent is about leveling the standards. A small amount is about inflation and the rest reflects the trend for users to outsource some of their intermediary operations so instead of supplying bulk quantities of raw chemicals the suppliers are providing smaller quantities of semi processed chemicals (so called custom chemicals). This involves capital spend but the tax breaks are better for R&D than for Capital and the boundary between the two is so blared that the chemical companies can "play the system" to their advantage.

The graph is just raw facts, there are as many interpretations of those facts are there are statisticians.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

01/31/2014 12:31 PM

PGiridhar-

Since you are a new participant in the purpose of CR4 and these threads, perhaps I can share some things I have learned and view as a relatively newcomer (2007).

Is this entry a question? -- No

Is this entry a "press release"? -- Sure sounds like it

Is this entry a "product sales flier"? -- Sure sounds like it

I quote-->

Post all advertisements in Commercial Space. If you are posting engineering-related press releases, sales fliers, product announcements, or descriptions of your company and the work that it does, please select Commercial Space as the appropriate forum. Please post only one notice for your company. The CR4 admin will remove additional posts and we may delete them all if we feel you are simply spamming the site

Your use of this forum for this obvious commercial entry is an abuse of the system, a waste of your time, my time and the time of all other members. From the previous answers it isn't hard to see that others feel that your entry belongs in the commercial section.

If you are to have effective postings that are participated in by others you must follow the guidelines and post this elsewhere. It doesn't belong here and to continue this incorrect posting will be detrimental to the replies you will get in the future.

You have done yourself a disservice to your goals. If you want results in your favor do things in the way they are supposed to be done.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #8

02/01/2014 8:50 AM

old salt: I have read the original post by PGiridhar many times, and I just can't see what product or service it is supposedly selling or press releasing about. You (old salt) and others here keep saying 'it is sales/commercial' but I just cant figure out what you all see it is trying to sell, or what company it is a press release for? Please tell me what in original post justify you alls accusations? You really have my curiosity up.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201
In reply to #9

02/03/2014 11:54 PM

BIN95-

All that is needed to make it clearly obvious that the OP is sales pitch would be to honestly sign it with any of the following:

The American Chemical Council, the Society of Chemical Manufacturers & Affiliates, The Texas Chemical Council, The American Chemical Society, Sales Association of the Chemical Industry, The (insert any of the states) Chemistry Council, Adhesives and Sealants Council or any of the many other trade/sales associations of the chemical industry.

I have also read it several times and each time I read the OP it sounds more and more like the various sales/project pitches that I used to make. These were usually directed to local or state entities in order to persuade them to let us expand/build another chemical plant. At least I had the courage to face the people who I was attempting to influence.

The original posting or those similar to it, are usually placed in the first few pages of the annual reports of various chemical companies.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #9

02/04/2014 1:43 AM

Even though the message is too incoherent and rambling to nail down conclusively what they are trying to shuffle, it remains offensive for the apparent apathy toward the quality of the message or form in which it is delivered.

"....This has led to newer, safer products and subsequently a bigger challenge to adopt to newer manufacturing methods, equipment and systems. IT transformation is synonymous with this change. The chemical industry is now outgrowing their conventional systems which have been largely deployed for qualitative benefits, and are now moving into quantitative benefits....."

That is crappy communication, indicative of a writer who care not about the reader, the message or its delivery. To fail to call it out as unacceptable it to invite degradation of the value in CR4. Pointless, unconnected, rambling windbags can be found all over the place on the internet.

(Preemptive inoculation for leaving myself open with the previous sentence: I work hard to keep on point and make the connections as I ramble on CR4, as any self respecting windbag should.)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BIN95 (4); jhhassociates (1); lyn (3); old salt (2); truth is not a compromise (3)

Previous in Forum: Surface Cracks In Hot Rolled Plates   Next in Forum: Magnetizing

Advertisement