CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: USDA Researchers Simplify Pyrolysis Processes for Bio-oil Production   Next in Forum: Magnetic Levitation Vertical Wind Generator
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Associate

Electrochemical Repair Question

04/19/2014 4:27 AM

Dear all:

Thank you inadvance for your input.

Can electrochemical repair last indefinitely or up to 120 years only even if regular electrical input.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1572

Concrete Conundrum

04/19/2014 5:51 AM

That's a hard question. I'll let you know in another 96 years.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #1

Re: Concrete Conundrum

04/19/2014 6:50 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69

Re: Electrochemical Repair Question

04/19/2014 10:50 PM

Yes...let me know if I'm wrong.

Good Answers: 104

04/19/2014 10:59 PM
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 348

04/21/2014 3:31 PM

What's the application exactly? "Indefinitely or up to 120 years" is a long time after all.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147

04/28/2014 11:14 AM

There are several issues involved: (1) you may reduce future corrosion by forced migration of chloride ion out of the concrete near the re-bar. (2) hydrogen is being produced at the re-bar, since this is cathode of the cell, and this could lead to hydrogen embrittlement of the steel if this does not rapidly abate to the environment. (3) I don't think there is any actual reversal of the existing oxides (that are the cause of internal pressure of the concrete that leads to cracking from within. Besides these considerations, there are other undiscussed considerations, such as quake stresses, load fluctation stress, etc. How well is the whole reinforcment grid connected to the cell?

Answer: this will not reverse existing damage to the structure, but does tend to serve as a palliative in extending the life of the structure a little further. I would not translate "indefinite" as anything like 120 years. If protection was applied when the structure was built, then something maybe could be said for an increased life expectancy, as long as the hydrogen issue is covered, assessed, and monitored.

I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I didn't fall off a turnip truck overnight either.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dogsbestfriend (1); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (1); lyn (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: USDA Researchers Simplify Pyrolysis Processes for Bio-oil Production   Next in Forum: Magnetic Levitation Vertical Wind Generator

Advertisement