CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: HVAC Course in India   Next in Forum: NVH Test Engineer a Good Field to Go into?
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Commentator

Question About Working Through Recruiting Agencies

07/14/2014 10:01 AM

I had a quick question. I recently took a job as a test engineer through a recruiting agency that I have worked with in the past, we'll call them Company A. I recently found out that my client company that I'm working on-site at, got my resume and hired me through a recuiting agency called Company B. Does this mean that I'm working through two recruiting agencies in a kind of double dipping thing? In other words my client company pays company B, which pays company A which pays me? Does anyone have any experience if this is good or bad? I was not informed about company B when I hired on. Also I don't believe my employer was informed about Company A when I hired on.

Thanks for any help

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 677

Re: Question about working through recruiting agencies

07/14/2014 10:26 AM

Which of the two companies sends pay tickets at the moment? With which company is the Contract of Employment? Which company deducts tax and (in the UK) National Insurance contributions?

In reply to #1

07/14/2014 11:14 AM

My personal contract was with Company A but my manager said their contract was with company B when they hired me on. I don't know what pay tickets are, I'm pretty sure company A is deducting taxes from my paycheck

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #2

07/14/2014 2:44 PM

Why aren't you certain, then? Surely you have a pay slip showing the amount paid gross, the deductions, and the net pay? Who is your line report? Why are you asking here instead of companies A and B? Do you know how a telephone works?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737

07/14/2014 12:50 PM

You then work for company A. Your work product is for company C, your client company. You are not "double dipping". This is actually a fairly common temporary worker configuration. Don't worry about it. Company A may specialize in identifying quality workers while company B cultivates assignments to complete. Depending on the tax laws, insurance and a whole lot of other aspects company C may even be getting your services at the lowest rate.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

Re: Question About Working Through Recruiting Agencies

07/14/2014 11:36 PM

Just like real estate sales, there is many unknown or not obvious relationships between companies. Some call it "Hanky-panky" others call it business. Who does your employer pay the recruitment fee to (company A or B)? The one they pay for you is the one you work for. If the other one is involved with it, that is a separate business matter between the two recruiting agencies. This is also very frequently used for government contracts and businesses that for one reason or another want to use outside personnel instead of hiring them into the company. This is often done with maintenance personnel or telephone solicitors.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 16

Re: Question About Working Through Recruiting Agencies

07/15/2014 11:29 AM

I've worked for contractors, too. It was common practice for Contractor A ,the one who interviewed and hired me, to use Contractor B to actually hold my contract. The reason was that Contractor B was minority-owned or female-owned or a small business. This allowed Contractor A to demonstrate they were following Federal guidelines which then allowed them to successfully bid on government business.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

7055 (1); Crabtree (1); old salt (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); reward54 (1)

Previous in Forum: HVAC Course in India   Next in Forum: NVH Test Engineer a Good Field to Go into?

Advertisement