CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Another Solar Power Use For Vehicles   Next in Forum: Controlling MONKEY TRICKS in Fields
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 148

Separating Ferric Chloride from Water

07/18/2014 11:46 AM

I'm working on a small scale water treatment idea that I'm not quite ready to explain fully but one step of the process would involve separating Ferric Chloride from water to ultimately be used for drinking water. the idea is to line the bottom of a weir with magnets to keep as much of the ferric chloride concentrated in the bottom of the weir as possible and minimize the amount that makes it over the weir into a settling tank that is also lined with magnets along the bottom and has an intake on the bottom for a small recirculaton pump to pump the concentrated FeCl3 back to the bottom of the previous weir. the third settling tank would have calcium carbonate added to it to neutralize any FeCl3 that makes it past the prior settling tanks. the intent is for the flow rate to be slow enough that the flow won't overcome the magnetic attraction.

thoughts? would this work?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

Re: separating Ferric Chloride from water

07/18/2014 12:41 PM

Is FeCl3 that is dissolved in water attracted to a magnet?

FeCl3 is commonly used in water purification already.

Hopefully, you're not etching copper with this solution.

I'm thinking RO filtration is not neutralization with CaCO3.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #1

07/18/2014 1:25 PM

I have read it is, but unsure until I test. Not etching copper except maybe accidentally. Neutralization with calcium carbonate SHOULD result in iron precipitating out, but again until tested it is theory. Point of intended process is to avoid power requirements of RO. There are some processes ahead of this step that should result in a pure water mixed with FeCl3

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #2

07/18/2014 2:07 PM

Not sure either. Let us know if that works.

I know FeCl3 is used as a flocculant in water treatment and that CaCO3 is used to neutralize the remaining FeCl3.

We used to have to use RO filtration on some of our PWB fab. equipment. Ugh.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: Separating Ferric Chloride from Water

07/18/2014 4:30 PM

From what I understand ferric chloride is paramagnetic, meaning it will take on magnetic properties while in a magnetic field....So in order for this to have a chance of working as desired you would need some rather powerful magnets I think.....also I don't think that you can just use the same stuff over and over without some sort of reconditioning...as it binds with impurities....

Good Answers: 109

07/18/2014 4:42 PM

Here may be something similar:

http://www.google.com/patents/CA1096518A1?cl=en

Ca(OH)2 may be easier to dissolve in water to act as a buffer agent. It is much more soluble than FeCl3. But then you may have the Fe(OH)3 to contend.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14

07/19/2014 9:31 AM

ELECTROCOAGULATION is the way to go . No Chemicals to your Drinking water!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

07/21/2014 12:09 PM

You did not state the relative concentration residual of FeCl3 (ferric chloride) in solution. For one thing this material will very quickly ruin RO membranes (as if those were involved here), especially if there is any chance of chlorine contacting the membranes.

Ferric chloride can be easily ion exchanged with either of magnesium or calcium (or sodium or potassium). Simply pass the solution over resin that has been regenerated with either Mg, Ca, K, or Na. Very high selectivity exists here for removal of iron (and also copper, lead, and some others). During regeneration, depending on which chloride salt you use, you can easily recover sufficient iron to effectively "clean" the resin and start over, but you must discard the regeneration water.

Good Answers: 59

08/01/2014 9:50 AM

Magnets have no effect on solutions of iron compounds or any other magnetic elements in solution. Try it.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

energyconversion (1); James Stewart (1); kevinm (1); lyn (2); MUKULMAHANT (1); Rorschach (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Another Solar Power Use For Vehicles   Next in Forum: Controlling MONKEY TRICKS in Fields

Advertisement