CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Torque Spec   Next in Forum: Checking Calibration of Tape Measures, Levels and Squares
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Buffer Storage Tank

10/15/2014 12:05 PM

My company is building an API 620 tank of 500,000bbl capacity. My client has given us a mandate to get to course 6 which is the last shell plating before roofing work and telling us that because of their short down schedule plan, they will use the tank to store produce water to enable them to carry out maintenance after which wewill return back to complete our work on the tank. My response to this request is capture in my letter to my company project manager as shown below:

To, 9/10/2014

The Project Manager,

Subject: Introduction of produce water into the Buffer Storage Tank under construction

Sir,

On the basis of experience, the introduction of produce water into the tank at its present construction stage will raise significant doubt as to the capabilities of the tank meeting all specified claimed controls in the documented procedures to prevent corrosion taking place in the tank materials.

Based on capabilities studies, it had been observed that, despite having international standards in place and industry awareness of the metallurgical and welding engineering requirements to ensure safe operation of materials in sour service, there are regular incidences of in-service failure of materials and equipment. Such events usually have adverse effects on the reputation of manufacturers, fabricators and operators.

This approach of SEPLAT to introduce produce water into the uncompleted tank can be view as manufacturing process defificiencies or direct violation in respect of statutory and regulating requirements (for example, DPR) applying to the product-buffer storage tank.

For OBAX to accept the above subject matter, we should get all requests for product or manufacturing process design changes in writing from SEPLAT. In this case, I would suggest that second coat application should be applied to internal tank wall plating to provide the mechanical resistance to corrosion attacks.

And in order to demonstrate conformity to standard API 620, we should ensure that all inspection and tests specified are fulfilled and noting that only validated design and development outputs (in this case "BUFFER STORAGE TANK) can be submitted for customer (SEPLAT) use. All these tests and other examination have not been done.

We should not forget that outsourcing the construction and installation of the tank does not absolve OBAX of the responsibility to providing a product that meet regulating, statutory and specific or implied customer requirements. See section 6.2.1, API 620 below:

6.2.1 All work of fabricating API 620 tanks shall be done in accordance with this standard and with the permissible alternatives specified in the Purchaser's inquiry or order. The workmanship and finish shall be first class in every respect and subject to the closest inspection by the Manufacturer's inspector, whether or not the Purchaser waives any part of the inspection.

Thanks,

Peter Iyere

Quality Engineer,

Obax .

please i need a professional advice from all.

Thanks.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 32

Re: BUFFER STORAGE TANK

10/15/2014 1:01 PM

Your client is right.

Install the last ring, as you said the 6 shell course.

Install the corresponding stiffening- ring.

Completes the required API 620 NDE.

Fill (Water) into the tank. ( I soppose for the piping associate Hydrotests).

The roof can be installed in the future. (Water is neither flammable nor toxic)

After this, clean the buffer tank, check if there are corrosion tracers........

You have a good opportunity to incease your gain.

Manage your payment.

WP

Guru

Good Answers: 102

Re: Buffer Storage Tank

10/15/2014 1:04 PM

I normally don't respond to anonymous posters, but I'm making an exception for you. Are you saying the roof and possible girder have not been completed and the client wishes to place the tank in temporary service? If so, I would be concerned about the structural stability of the tank itself.

Guru

Good Answers: 1573

10/15/2014 7:56 PM

"please i need a professional advice from all."

You need a competent, on sight engineer's opinion, not opinions from strangers.

Remember: "OBAX started as a multidiscipline professional ARCHITECTURAL & ENGINEERING consulting firm founded in 1985 as ARLOU, INC. Headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri."

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #3

10/16/2014 4:59 AM

1) What is CR4?

Conference Room 4® (CR4) is a forum for engineers, scientists, technical researchers, technical buyers, students and folks who just like technology to discuss engineering news, seek technical help and get answers to burning questions. CR4 is a community website supported by GlobalSpec, the Engineering Search Engine. CR4 is a for-profit website that generates revenue via advertisements and sponsorships.

Guru

Good Answers: 1573
In reply to #5

10/16/2014 7:10 AM

Yes, but,

You need a competent, on sight engineer's opinion.

You need a competent, on-site engineer's opinion, who can asses the actual situation.

Guru

In reply to #7

10/16/2014 5:03 PM

Hi Lyn

It was only a comment.

Regards, WP

Guru

Good Answers: 92

10/16/2014 2:37 AM

Peter! Indeed very anonymos! And word for word in the letter for everyone to see!
Why not try :

https://helpouts.google.com/ instead for this??? You can actually talk to someone there. . . .

My advice is to ask a technical question should not involve you to tell us all about your relationship to your supervisor and never the one to your client!

10/16/2014 6:51 AM

Dear Peter Iyere

I am Mechanical Engineer, fellow member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and working as Engineering Manager with UAE company for installation of new 100,000 barrels capacity Refinery.

To prevent Mechanical resistance to Corrosion attack, I recommond to carry out the internal rubber lining by Ebonite rubber material to internal tank as a permanent solution or temporarily apply water resistance Coaltar Epoxy of ICI company and take the tank in service. Both options will solve the problem.

I personally applied these optios in our refinery water tanks.

Mirza Muhammad Saleem

Engineering Manager,

TransAsia Refinery Limited

Email Removed - Cr4 Admin

Reply to Forum Thread 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bigg (1); IdeaSmith (1); lyn (2); mirza m saleem (1); Whitephone (3)

Previous in Forum: Torque Spec   Next in Forum: Checking Calibration of Tape Measures, Levels and Squares

Advertisement