CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Freeze Resistant Rainwater Turbine   Next in Forum: Force?
Close
Close
Close
27 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 28

Carbon Credits How to Calculate

11/13/2014 9:39 PM

I have searched the net, government sites even David Suzuki: The problem!! I know that one ton or tonne of carbon dioxide = one carbon credit. Now suppose that I removed from the atmosphere some carbon dioxide and stored it in a container how do I calculate the one tonne factor. I assume the pressure it is stored in makes a difference. No place to date can I find any charts or figures on how they calculate a tonne of co2. Lets assume I had a large compressed gas cylinder such as is used in welding and captured CO2 at 2000 PSI. How many tonnes. Or a large container like a tank car and captured it under 50 PSI. What constitutes one tonne of CO2. Thanks for the help and moving me to a higher level..

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

Re: Carbon Credits How to calculate.

11/13/2014 9:53 PM

Wouldn't it be stored in "the cloud"? That seems to be where Bill Gates, Google and the NSA is storing all this stuff now.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

11/13/2014 9:54 PM

I think you're missing the point. brush up on cap and trade

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #2

11/13/2014 10:19 PM

What will you trade for this one?

No sweat.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

11/13/2014 10:23 PM

I have but I have not seen a manner of determining just what a tonne consists of. It is difficult I think to weigh it as in using scales. Assume you had a chimney and you captured the co2 then sequestered it lets say underground as they are doing i western Canada how to you figure in the one tonne. There must be some volume at a certain pressure? For me 5 hrs over a week could not find anything to explain this. I have used compressed gas most of my working life and most is measured in Cubic feet or something and usually starts at a certain pressure in a container. Thanks for your comments.

Good Answers: 472
In reply to #4

11/14/2014 8:15 PM

CO2 can be liquified and stored at room temperature. It's done in fire extinguishers all the time. It weighs about 70 lb/cu ft at room temperature.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

11/14/2014 8:16 PM

Thanks all good info and I think I am set to work out a plan.. Thanks all..

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

11/13/2014 10:27 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 734

11/13/2014 11:35 PM

Weigh the container before and after.

Good Answers: 980

11/14/2014 12:12 AM

One tonne of CO2 can be visualized by this cube 27' on each side....

A balloon a little over 30' in diameter....

"At standard pressure and 15 °C (59 °F) the density of carbon dioxide gas is 1.87 kg/m3 (0.1167 lb/ft3)..."

"We could roughly estimate the volume of 1 ton of gas by using the ideal gas equation: PV = nRT (where P is the pressure in atmospheres, V is the volume in liters, n is the number of moles = mass in grams/molar mass of the gas, R is the gas constant = 0.08206 L.atm/K.mol, T is the temperature in Kelvin). "

http://www.alspecialtygases.com/volume_of_gas_in_a_cylinder.aspx

http://www.uigi.com/carbondioxide.html

Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

11/14/2014 2:23 AM

At STP one gram-mole of any gas occupies 22.4 litres, according to my chemistry textbook, and a gram-mole of CO2 weighs 44gm. The rest of it is simple arithmetic, Mildred.

In reply to #8

11/14/2014 6:59 AM

Thank you for that info.. Now I have something to work with.. GA

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #8

11/19/2014 1:49 PM

Don't forget that PV = nRT

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 11

Re: Carbon Credits How to Calculate

11/14/2014 8:02 AM

Use Pv=RT at gaseous compression, by the time it hits its saturated curve region or boiling point use tables.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 600

11/14/2014 10:17 AM

Why bother with all that? A ton is a ton is a ton.

Put your tank on a scale, open the valve and weigh it. Then fill it with CO2, close the valve and weigh it again. For the accuracy you need, the difference in weight will be the weight of the CO2.

Good Answers: 980
In reply to #11

11/14/2014 10:31 AM

Wouldn't the tank have to be weighed with a total vacuum...? How would you weigh this...↓

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #12

11/14/2014 1:36 PM
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 600
In reply to #12

11/17/2014 2:58 PM

No, it wouldn't have to be measured in a vacuum. With the tank valve open air pressure is the same inside and out. The weight is just the weight of the tank.

He uses a set of truck scales to make the weight measurements. Since he's capturing a ton of CO2 the simplest way to know he has a ton is to weigh it, and he's going to need a large set of scales. So he loads the tank on a flat bed truck. (He weighs the truck ahead of time, too, if he needs to.)

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #11

11/14/2014 11:40 PM

That's a good answer. If someone wants more information on C02, why not just consult the CO2 Bible, Al Gore's textbook 'Earth in the Balance'?

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12

11/14/2014 10:46 PM

It's based on how much you produce (diesel engine, boiler, burner, etc ). Check out the AP-42 to calculate for each source. It's something that has to be done in order to aquire air permit from an agency.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

11/15/2014 12:40 AM

Cap and trade basicly allows companies to pay different agencies to be a loud to product tons of emissions per year beyond the limits of the permit that is issued. The emissions include PM 10, PM 2.5, NOx, SOx, CO, COx, and HAP. Every state has there own version for several years the Feds are just starting with their project the last couple of years.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

11/16/2014 2:38 PM

Stop thinking that CO2 is poison.

In reply to #19

11/16/2014 2:44 PM

I do not recall mentioning that CO2 was poison but I do view it as a source of potential income in the future based entirely on the carbon credit scenario.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #20

11/16/2014 2:47 PM

Indeed! Thanks for the honesty.

CO2 is a source of income and revenue. That's all.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #19

11/16/2014 10:15 PM

No CO2 , no potential for oxygen, from plants and trees--One of the balancing factors that is conveniently ignored..During the warming stages of the planet (which was actually much shorter that the cooling periods), CO2 turned the planet into a Botanists' dream, and oxygen flowed like liquor at a Las Vegas wedding.. One of the biggest problems the planet has is DEFORESTATION.. Which affects the amount of living trees, shrubs, and the like, to assimilate CO2 , and let us breathe...

Register to Reply
Guru

11/17/2014 3:24 PM

THe last year I was in PA for the mining company I worked for I was able to sell 450 tons of combined air pollutants in the market at $2500 a ton. Not bad profit for reducing the emissions at my sites for one year.

Good Answers: 64

11/19/2014 11:23 AM

Carbon Credits are kind of like our current "fiat money" we use, or like a Bitcoin. There is no value except that someone says something has value. Our "notes" that we use for currency isn't backed by anything as it used to be, i.e. gold or silver.

It's like Genghis Khan taking over a country and making some sort of coinage and saying it had value. In his case it was because his authority substantiated the coinage and it was the only thing that could be used officially.

In the case of Carbon Credits, it is nothing but a scam and money making idea fabricated by some ingenious scoundrel to fleece people out of their money.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #25

11/19/2014 12:28 PM

I understand that ISIS will be issuing their own currency.. I suspect that dealing directly with one of these brutes would be dicey…..

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 27 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bakerjohn (3); C-Mac (2); Crabtree (1); Davesets (1); facilitiesmgr (1); Fredski (2); kramarat (2); Kris (1); Lonewolf (1); lyn (2); Noudge79 (1); Rixter (1); roy hammy (4); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: Freeze Resistant Rainwater Turbine   Next in Forum: Force?

Advertisement