CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Ebola and Cholesterol Transport Inhibitors.   Next in Forum: What This Is
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 68

'Text Neck'- Are You Next?

11/21/2014 2:29 PM

Do you suffer from Text Neck? Washington Post ran an article about research published by Kenneth Hansraj M.D. Basically saying that they are seeing more "wear-and-tear" on the cervical spine due to poor posture. This poor posture is leading to numerous problems.

What I don't understand is, humans have been scribing symbols for about 30,000 years and writing for about 5,000 years, why has it taken this long to figure out having your neck bent over creates physical and mental problems? (Maybe this is why I'm all screwed up?)

Before CAD programs came about, I can't count the number of hours I had my head bent over a drafting table( I know I'm not the only one), and now they're saying I've been carrying an extra 60 pounds of weight while I was working?

I'm also curious to know what kind of grant he got for this research?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 67

Re: 'Text Neck'- Are You Next?

11/21/2014 6:24 PM

Well, its opposite certainly one way to lose weight. Has anyone told Curves?

The article is using 'weight' when they should be using 'force.' Yes, they're both forces but weight usually reserved for what you'd be measuring if you put it (head, other body parts, your feet) on a scale. Force is more general and describes what is being applied the cervical part of the spine, its cause is tilting of the head, but this same force could be caused by any number of means besides tilting one's head forward.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 472

11/21/2014 7:44 PM

Now that I lack all coordination and can barely see, texting won't be a problem.

Never tried it. Hell, I'm holding a phone...why use it as a typewriter?

I ask people why they text, and the answer is that they don't have talk to people.

If I can't stomach the thought of voice communication with someone, I won't communicate with them at all. It's saved me countless traffic accidents...not to mention that I have to watch out for the driving texters, that weave during a normal conversation, and slam on brakes if something is funny or they are arguing.

I spend $7 a month to have an uncharged cellphone drifting among the garbage on my passenger side floorboard. There's not even enough juice in the battery for the NSA to figure out that I'm cheating on my diet.

In reply to #2

11/21/2014 7:55 PM

Lol. Do they know you help your landlady carry out the garbage?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

11/21/2014 8:13 PM

I'll always prefer real, fresh made cookies to their digital counterparts.

Same goes for Spam. Ever tried it wrapped in bacon, battered, deep fried, dipped in chocolate sauce...on a stick? OMG!

In reply to #4

11/21/2014 8:38 PM

I like the Mystery Meat actually, fried crispy and then lots of cold ketchup, but I haven't tried it your way. That sounds pretty darn tasty!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #5

11/21/2014 8:49 PM

I was only kidding. I don't eat stuff from sticks. I forget that the stick isn't part of the food and choke myself.

In reply to #6

11/21/2014 8:58 PM

I wasn't kidding. I like it! All that salt and cholesterol - and calories. Calories are units of taste, you know.

Now to find a case of original-recipe Jolt - All the Sugar/Twice the Caffeine!

Guru

In reply to #7

11/21/2014 9:08 PM

I discovered something sick good a few weeks ago. My wife got some kind of gooey vanilla, caramel, peanut butter ice cream...or something like that.

I was making us a bowl to share, and noticed the bag of pretzels on the counter. I crunched up a handful of salty pretzels over the ice cream. You wouldn't believe how good it is.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #6

11/25/2014 1:53 PM

"I forget that the stick isn't part of the food and choke myself."

You need to chew your food better. Sticks can be a great source of fiber. If you have a stick heavy diet, you can dry your solid wastes and use them for fuel in your fireplace.

Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

europium mkII (4); kramarat (4); reward54 (1)

Previous in Forum: Ebola and Cholesterol Transport Inhibitors.   Next in Forum: What This Is

Advertisement