CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Final Year Project Topic   Next in Forum: High School Project: Solar Power to Fix Dead Car Batteries
Close
Close
Close
20 comments

Rotation of the Trolley

12/13/2014 6:10 AM
  • i am designing this system, the trolley as you can see in the cad model i need to rotate it, the torque required to rotate this trolley is 1654 Nm and i need to rotate this trolley 7-8 times the tank contains water as well.
  • suggest me the mechanism to go for?
  • and suggest me the motor ?
  • As the system that i have design the motor output is having a sprocket and that is rotating the trolley but when the trolley lifts up to go in the next tank the sprocket in the trolley falls out and u have to fix it back.... suggest me some idea as this trolley has to go in several tanks
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 921

Re: ROTATION OF THE TROLLEY

12/13/2014 7:47 AM

What CAD software are you using?

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

12/13/2014 7:51 AM

Uni graphics nx 6 This is the current picture of the process how it works

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #3

12/13/2014 10:52 AM

Can you convert the file to Parasolid as a 3D model?

I would be interested in seeing the assembly as a model so I can better understand the problem.

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

12/13/2014 2:35 PM

Ok i will send the assembly

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 11

12/13/2014 7:50 AM
  • mechanism suggestion - $50
  • Motor specs - $100
  • Evaluation for your design - $150

Total - $300... Great! payment could be done via Western Union.

First come first serve basis, Open week days, Saturdays only half day.

Seriously, have this done and approved by professional Mechanical Engineer, so that when everything fails your not the only one to blame.

In reply to #2

12/13/2014 10:53 AM

GA.

There is wisdom in your statement. Liability can be a very thorny issue, if not expensive.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #5

12/13/2014 8:46 PM

Yes, certainly. The OP has to do a little bit effort & IQ how to identify sound and unsound answers on the forum. Commenters has different frame of references.

Asking a forum will definitely increase IQ if he survive, however he'll get through a lot of confusion first. If OP is involved in a project, there is a cost for consultation either with experienced academic people or licensed professional.

Good Answers: 1598

12/13/2014 11:55 AM

Since this is a multi stage dip process why does the basket need to rotate?

Why does each basket need a dedicated lift motor/trolley? Use one motor/trolley for multiple baskets.

Describe the process in detail. Otherwise this is all just speculation with no basis.

Register to Reply

In reply to #6

12/13/2014 2:40 PM

The basket need to rotate for washing then it goes to degreasing the for reverse osmosis tank...... Currently this trolley is being rotated manually and i need to turn it with some mechanical and electrical means the total torque required to rotate this is 1619 Nm If u have some idea let me know

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754

Re: Rotation of the Trolley

12/13/2014 1:44 PM

Several ideas are unclear in the drawing. Of them, the most unclear is the multiple angled cables/chains from the trolley to the basket. What are you really trying to do?

Good Answers: 1141

12/13/2014 1:47 PM

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #8

12/13/2014 2:06 PM

The CAD rendering looks to me like a plating line. Each tank has a different process (liquid) and the baskets would be moved from one tank to the next.

No reason for brute force, just smooth speed. I've watched these lines work. One transport trolley for many tanks is all you need.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141
In reply to #9

12/13/2014 2:23 PM

Yes, but you don't know the size....1000+ ft lbs of torque for a winch?

Good Answers: 25

12/14/2014 6:11 AM

I assume it is 7 tank process of degreasing. I have never seen anyone rotating the basket. System consists of oval monorail system with electric hoist mounted on motorised trolley running on the monorail. There are people who offer automated system. Weight of the basket is quite less hardly 250 kg.

In reply to #14

12/17/2014 5:27 AM

yes the trolley contains bike tanks and that needs to be degrease before paint. the trolley needs to be rotated to get better cleaning

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 117

12/14/2014 6:33 AM

You may not need to rotate if all you wish to do is swirl the contents of the basket in the liquids. Consider mounting the shaft on a 180° pneumatic actuator. Moving the basket + 180° and then -180° several times may give you a better washing action than rotation. Speed is easy to adjust by restricting the air flow so no expensive gearboxes, cogs or clutches to buy and maintain. No worries about the number of motor starts per hour. Actuators are specified by torque ratings so you already have all the information you need to specify one yourself. It is also bulletproof against any jams as a pneumatic actuator will not burn out like a motor would.

Register to Reply

In reply to #15

12/17/2014 5:31 AM

can you please help me out with the mechanism that u r suggesting.... some link where i can get a better understanding

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 117
In reply to #18

12/17/2014 8:24 AM

Your posting did not make it clear if you want to rotate the basket around a vertical or a horizontal axis. I have assumed a vertical axis.

The link below gives you an overview of different types of rotary actuators and how they work. I would suggest for your application that you use a double rack and pinion type as they are simple, very efficient, easy to maintain and available in torques of up to 6000Nm. DIN size 205 rated at 2000Nm is probably what you need. I have not suggested a supplier as there will be many local to you. Look for "pneumatic rotary actuators" on any search engine.

http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/FPE/MotorsActuators/Article/False/6426/FPE-MotorsActuators

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

12/15/2014 12:20 PM

I think the OP means that the area shown with a YELLOW arrow is where it rotates and the RED arrows show that the movement is up and down? Where the "trolley" moves along it's track, it appears that there are proximity sensors at each stopping point? My suggestion would be Hydraulic cylinders, you would be putting a lot of stress on the pivot shaft if you use a motor / gearbox combo.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

12/17/2014 10:51 AM

Well, I'm more confused now than when I first replied. The OP has yet to fully describe what he wants to do because from the descriptions he has given, what he wants to do is not possible. You cannot rotate a square inside of a square without proper clearance. The OP needs to explain!

OP????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (3); hassanaskari (5); jhhassociates (2); lyn (2); Noudge79 (2); Original_Macgyver (2); SolarEagle (2); suresh sharma (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Final Year Project Topic   Next in Forum: High School Project: Solar Power to Fix Dead Car Batteries

Advertisement