CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Checking Calibration of Tape Measures, Levels and Squares   Next in Forum: Change In Group Number In PQR
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Assembly of Weldments and Significant Figures

12/17/2014 6:36 PM

Should not the application of 'significant figures' apply to the assembly of multiple weldments/assemblies?

I have done a lot looking for insight on the specific topic to no avail.

In summary:

If members of a weldment are spec'd to x.xxx, the overall weldment dims. should be spec'd to a tolerance of x.xx, and if they are joined to another weldment in an assembly the tolerance should not be more than x.x. etc. etc.??

What do think? OR can you direct to a reference that addresses this topic?

Thank You,

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1573

Re: Assembly of Weldments and Significant figures?

12/17/2014 6:47 PM

Coordinate or GD&T?

New or existing drawing?

ASME Y14.5M-1994?

Will the finished weldment have the correct F,F ans F?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 331

Re: Assembly of Weldments and Significant Figures?

12/17/2014 8:15 PM

On weldments, tolerance isn't normally x.xxx but fractional.

Anonymous Poster #1

12/17/2014 11:09 PM

Try this.
Geometrical tolerances are specified in Annex D of BS EN 1090-2

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

12/17/2014 11:30 PM

That may be sort of a right idea, but I don't think tolerances should be relaxed a whole order of magnitude at each step. Maybe by a factor of say 2, though.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Re: Assembly of Weldments and Significant Figures

12/18/2014 8:29 AM

Sometimes F, F & F are in the eye of the beholder. The first F is the question here. Sure it may Fit but if the overall assembly is 1/4" long over 34' is that an F or not? Some would say yes, as I would, but some would say no and justifiably so if the print says 34' +/-1/8" and if this assembly is made up of six or seven weldments bolted together I think the first F should be reasonably relaxed.

It would be nice to find a standard rule stating such.

Thanks,

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #5

12/19/2014 1:02 PM

I suspect the F, F & F question has to be answered separately for each industry. What is OK in shipbuilding might be overkill in a small factory building steel tanks for the oil patch, and so on.

I am not at all sure the standard propagation of errors applies in this assembling of multiple weldments, although it sort of makes sense that there will be a much larger error bar given x number of weldments assembled into one piece, than for y weldments assembled, when X>>y. Perhaps there even has to be built in flexibility in assemblage to allow for this? I dunno.

12/19/2014 8:22 AM

I don't know specifically about weldments, but in structural steel an example would be column plumbness. You are allowed to be out of plumb at L/500 until a maximum of 1" out or 2" in at the 20th story, then beyond the 20th story you are allowed 1/16" per story..........., and you need to always fall within those lines. This information is located in the AISC Code of Standard Practice. Maybe AWS has something similar.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 17

12/19/2014 10:11 AM

A good designer will look at individual components for tolerances after the tolerance of the final assembly is established, at least where there are no written specifications or established "standards". Tolerance buildup is often overlooked and can create a problems not only on assemblies but also on individual parts with, say, multiple holes in a line. If not dimensioned properly, the buildup can be substantial.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); James Stewart (1); Kevin LaPaire (1); lyn (1); malarrrrkee (1); Massey (1); phoenix911 (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Checking Calibration of Tape Measures, Levels and Squares   Next in Forum: Change In Group Number In PQR

Advertisement