Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Why are DM and SOFT Water Used?   Next in Forum: Hydril Dampener
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 6

Build a 2.5 HP (1.8kW) Stirling Engine

07/09/2007 2:54 PM

Build a 2.5 HP (1.8kW) Stirling Engine

It has been done before by at least one individual. Old Chinese proverb says, "What one fool can do another can."

Go to <starspin.com/stirlings/jimd6.html> for photos and details of the Mountain Man's Stirling engine, the Jim Dandy #6. Jim Symanski built this engine to run his machine shop via old time belts and pulleys.

Next get a copy of "Around the World by Stirling Engine," by Brent H. Van Arsdell from <stirlingengine.com> Chapter 10 consists of 9+ pages devoted to and interview with Jim about his engine. Brent and Jim discuss details of the engine built by Jim Symanski and his ideas for future improvements.

For some background material go to <http://www.stirlingengine.com/ecommerce/product.tcl?usca_p=t&product_id=84> to find a link to download a copy of Chapter 6 from the book "How I Built a 5-HP Stirling Engine" by Dr. L Merrick Lockwood.

On man in New Zealand has some of the material in hand and anxiously awaiting the remainder so he can get strarted on this project.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 35

Re: Build a 2.5 HP (1.8kW) Stirling Engine

07/09/2007 5:35 PM

There is a guy who converted a 3hp briggs-stratton engine to a stirling engine. His site seems to be down, but you can still find it archived. It looks like it took quite a bit of modifying but still a neat project, although I doubt it had much hp.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

07/09/2007 6:10 PM

Re: Future Energy Sources 1.10.1 Stirling Engines,

In Post #55 Scapolie posted a photo of a early effort "Vee" conversion Stirling engine.

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 1

07/10/2007 8:51 AM

A well known UK supplier of domestic central heating systems is building a Stirling engine in Japan that will run 24/7 and in the off periods return power to the national grid when not heating the house.

In reply to #3

07/10/2007 11:06 AM

"A well known UK supplier of domestic central heating systems is building a Stirling engine in Japan that will run 24/7 and in the off periods return power to the national grid when not heating the house."

For a mortgage payment or equivalent of how many Pounds Sterling and an approx. 10 year payout.

And Kockums builds one for submarines that provides 2 months of continuous underwater operation utilizing their Stirling Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system. Don't even think about asking the price. It's not for sale.

Neither ot the above have anything to do with a DIY project for the man who wants to build his own!

10/28/2009 12:49 AM

I know that this post is old but I am very interested in building a sterling engine for my home energy production. My idea is to build the device half in and half out of a cement ditch so that in the winter the heat from the ground and the cold from the snow will run the engine, and during the summer time run the engine with the heat from the sun and the coolness from the ground.

Any ideas as to how I can do this, I am looking for a big engine around 10hp to 50hp and able to supply enough power to run our home 24/7 off grid with storage battery backup.

In reply to #5

05/04/2010 4:39 AM

Hello,

Are you still interested in Stirling Engine

I am going in for serial mass production of Stirling engine.

Looking forward

Thanking you
With Regards

Madhav Chowdhary
(founder/owner)

SWEE Technologies
Pune (India)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

05/18/2010 1:35 PM

You are better off with a solar during day and cheap fuel during night The heat intensity is far better than the temperature differential between the land down and the surface

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); davah (1); frankd20 (1); madhavchowdhary (1); Stirling Stan (2); wbfroggie (1)

Previous in Forum: Why are DM and SOFT Water Used?   Next in Forum: Hydril Dampener
You might be interested in: Engine and Engine Component Repair Services, Search Engine Software, Centrifugal Pumps