CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Multitasking Solar   Next in Forum: Source of Zinc in Industrial Waste
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 111

How to Grow Fuel the Real Way, No Subsidies Required

02/04/2015 12:50 PM

Here is completely (as near as I can see), the answer to removing ethanol production from a source based on cereal grains (as far as fuel ethanol, or maybe even beverage ethanol distillate).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEg2HmxedDw

It is not intended to be a "commercial" for the Alginol company, but it demonstrates their efforts for seven years, their committment, and the progress they are making.

www.alginol.com

The fact that a high ethanol yield per acre is made, and the remaining biomass is converted into gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel is remarkable and noteworthy.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 207

Re: How to Grow Fuel the Real Way, No Subsidies Required

02/04/2015 6:36 PM

quite interesting. basically its solarto be a success they'd really need to ramp up their acreage, thats doable. I'm no fan of ethanol but it is a legit fuel. I never saw that much on their biodiesel but if it performs I could see them teaming up with any number of partners to get in the market

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

02/24/2015 12:24 PM

When one considers the carbohydrate content of most algae (>25% up to 40%) it would seem to be a viable feedstock for ethanol production that can easily replace corn. Algae should require less actual water consumption (although water utilization can be high), as the water is easily kept from evaporating in the bag system, and is also able to be recycled into the next run.

Good Answers: 721

02/04/2015 6:51 PM

Kind of a sideline fan of using cattail grass for ethanol production myself.

Very high ethanol production per acre plus uses swampy land and can be set up where the land is also used for sewage, bio remediation work or wildlife wetland applications in locations that normally would be way too wet or poor of soil/water conditions for any normal crops.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 3

02/05/2015 10:35 AM

Impressive. If you're out of whisky and feeling cooled, you just sip on your gas tank a little and it should make you get going. A blood alcohol level of 0.05% is euphoric

But the algae could be detrimental if they are invasive or someday it will evolve.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #3

02/05/2015 2:07 PM

Doesn't algae also produce a large amount of atmospheric methane? If the climate change boys are right, then according to research, we should also get rid of the hydro power industry, as the reservoirs used produce over 20% of the methane currently being measured...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

02/05/2015 2:35 PM

Who measures the methane, and what did they eat last night? I don't really want to know.

Algae has growth stages/phases as follows: Inoculation/Induction, Linear, Peak Quasi-Static, and Die Off. The situation in most ponds, lake, reservoirs,etc. where water is just sitting around, is stage 3-4 where the algae is somewhere between static level and die off. The dying algae basically fall to the bottom and rot, thereby bacterial activity produces the methane (also called swamp gas). Algae in waters where the sulfate ion is present above (I think) 50 mg/L (ppm) are not known to be methane producers, but below that figure (sulfate removed) methane is produced, and it is due to an alternate bio-pathway in the organisms.

The aquaculture of algae can be in a -semi-closed (bag) system, or an open system.

Open systems are subject to all manner of problems when/if wild strains take over.

Semi-closed systems would not experience that problem as often.

All algae production nees to be operated in the higher linear growth phase to maximize production, minimize die-off, and to ensure the controlled balance between sugars, higher saccharides, oils, and proteins in the product organisms. This appears in yield branching ratio during production of the sugars for ethanol, with the remainder going into pyrolysis to make gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #5

02/05/2015 2:44 PM

Thank you much, for the informative post…mac

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

02/05/2015 3:23 PM

YW. I appreciate that.

In reply to #3

02/06/2015 8:20 AM

But the sky could fall and land on your head too!

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 3

02/05/2015 11:07 PM

The highway patrol would not want ethanol to become fuel someday.

"I got a leak on my tank officer, that's all the smell came from."

In reply to #8

02/06/2015 8:16 AM

What was the source of that picture? It looks like my nephew!

Someday? Ethanol, in case you failed to notice has been in our gas tanks for quite a number of years now, and is presently about 10% of gasoline. We could also blend gasoline with anhydrous ammonia (with small modifications of the tank to handle pressurized operation above what little there is now). Talk about finding or noticing a fuel leak! WOW!

In Brazil, they changed to automotive fleet to accept up to 100% ethanol, how does that grab ya?

02/24/2015 12:21 PM

Here is the latest new factoid on algae: a way to make biodiesel and jet fuel from the same organism: Isochrysis. Isochrysis is currently only grown in small lots to feed crustaceans, I think. At the current rate of production, it might cost $10,000/gallon of fuel produced, but there is hope in scale up - the organism will grow rapidly. It produces some FAME's (biodiesel), but also contains high enough levels of Alkenones (C29-C39 or so) to make the extracted "oil" a black greasy semi-solid. Olefin metathesis converts theses long chain keto-olefins to shorter chains consistent with jet fuel.

http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/feature/jet-fuel-from-algae

http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/v2/viewArticle/preview.do?id=209569

http://www.whoi.edu/news-release/two-fuels-from-a-single-algae

http://www.elevance.com/technology/metathesis/

This last link is all about olefin metathesis, includes a description of Grubbs' Ruthenium catalyst that is central in exchanging butene with the double bonds in the Alkenone molecules.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

C-Mac (2); Fredski (1); James Stewart (6); Kulas (2); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Multitasking Solar   Next in Forum: Source of Zinc in Industrial Waste

Advertisement