CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Power Harvesting (Solar)   Next in Forum: Effect of Nitrogen in Air for Composting?
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 131

New Oxidant Process for Cleaning up Water

03/02/2015 2:23 PM

New sheriff in town for bad actors in water is OH• (OH free radical). This guy has a higher standard oxidation potential than even ozone (O3).

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2015/01/28/mitsubishi-technology-enables-low-cost-wastewater-recycling/

This having been said, and the water properly treated with this in a way that (1)removed all organic pollutants, and (2) killed/destroyed any and all pathogens in that water, would you drink it? For argument's sake, we will further treat this water to remove any undesirable salts such as nitrates, phosphates, etc. We will also enrich the water by restoring natural pH and mineral balance by passing over marble.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1029

Re: New Oxidant Process for Cleaning up Water

03/02/2015 2:56 PM

You first....

In reply to #1

03/02/2015 3:07 PM

ROFL - you got me on that one!

In all seriousness, however, it appears that communities facing ever increasing water shortages may really appreciate this new method in the not so distant future. Actually, I think I would drink this, as long as (1) the final product was passed through an ultrafiltration set-up. (2) no pathogens detected at 10 log sensitivity. It also depends on how thirsty one is, I suppose. Anyone else for a large, clear glassful of Spring-P water?

Good Answers: 1029
In reply to #2

03/02/2015 3:28 PM

Certainly true that thirst is a great motivator....I was once lost on expedition and was forced to drink from a canal directly after canteens had run dry....ordinarily I would hesitate to even swim in it, but luckily I survived with no ill effects....So I think you are correct in pairing desirability with need...are we running out of bottled water???(lol)

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #2

03/02/2015 3:32 PM

With its inherent unpalatability and calcium depletion capabilities? No thanks. I'll stick to Dubonnet.

In reply to #4

03/02/2015 3:41 PM

As long as you actually like fortified wine (extra alcohol), spices, herbs, and quinine. Sounds absolutely horrific. I prefer Temperanillo made from West Texas grapes. Only recommended in small, "beneficial" doses - since we musn't overdo. Best to have with apples, British biscuits, and cheese.

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #5

03/02/2015 3:51 PM

Are these West Texas grapes?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #6

03/02/2015 4:06 PM

No man! Those look like sheep raisins.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 267

03/03/2015 7:28 AM

How about we just water the grapes with the waste water. Let them do the recycling. And drink grape juice.

In reply to #8

03/03/2015 11:19 AM

That is OK with me, but there are other uses and demands for wastewater, such as cooling power plants, and one of the big problems is keeping unwanted colonization in said cooling towers from organisms typically found in treated effluent. Why not simply wipe out most of the nutrients in that water, then the bugs that took care of the nutrients, in such a case?

There is still something unpalatable about the thought of watering vinyards with waste water, and since most of the irrigation for grape production is done by sub-surface irrigation, you do not want slime growing in your system. That means you still need to kill off the aerobic organisms that are producers of extracellular material.

Guru

Good Answers: 80

03/03/2015 7:56 AM

What's the big deal? The water you drink every day has been through a "natural" (meaning through a pathway caused by nature and essentially unselected by mankind, although it may unintentionally include elements constructed or altered by man) version of this process countless times. The major barrier here is psycho.logical.

As a side note, I deal with chemical manufacturing and environmental remediation. We use hydroxyl radicals quite regularly for cleaning up hydrocarbons contamination in soil and groundwater, although we use peroxide compounds to generate them. This is commonly used for waste water pretreatment as well, one common pathway being the Fenton's reaction- named after British chemist James Fenton, who first demonstrated it in 1894 (not exactly new news).

OH. radicals are VERY short lived, so if they can generate them efficiently AND contact them effectively with the waste water that is a big deal though.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #9

03/05/2015 2:20 PM

I understand why you might say that this is not such a big deal. Fenton chemistry involving hydrogen peroxide and M(+x)/M(+x+1), truly has been utilized, researched, discussed, and argued over for more than 100 years. We still do not know for sure if OH• radical or ferryl ion (protonated or otherwise) is the responsible agent, and it could be that both are, depending on reaction conditions:

http://tchie.uni.opole.pl/freeECE/S_16_3/Barbusinski_16(3).pdf

"The nature of the oxidizing species obtained in Fenton reaction is still a controversial subject. It is something intriguing and at the same time fascinating that a simple reaction (of Fe2+ ions with H2O2), observed by H.J.H. Fenton over one hundred years ago, proves to be very difficult to describe and understand."

One thing is clear in this new system: OH• radical is the only oxidant being produced, and the reaction is well understood, and no one has to go out and buy the chemicals and mix them to do the oxidation. Electrons as the ultimate reagent once again.

Good Answers: 1

03/05/2015 11:31 AM

Good post.

Having had dealings years ago with ozone, including enhanced (ultrasound), various issues come to mind: Working with oxygen gas stream, as opposed to air introduces its own set of challenges; tramp particle fouling and corrosion of electrodes; matching kinematics of feed stock chemistry of the moment with oxygen rate; development of electrode hot spots with resulting imbalance of OH production are some that come to mind.

But worth looking into.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bullardrr (1); Crabtree (1); James Stewart (5); JNB (1); lyn (1); ozzb (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Power Harvesting (Solar)   Next in Forum: Effect of Nitrogen in Air for Composting?

Advertisement