Previous in Forum: Flow Batteries in Miniature   Next in Forum: Central Heating Efficientcy Plumbing Question
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant

Putting unleaded petrol into diesel tank and run for 80 miles.

07/25/2007 3:05 AM

Yesterday , while I was talking to the Gas station owner they filled the tank in my Jeep Commander 3.0 CRD with petrol instead of diesel fuel. I drove the car for 2-3 miles and I parked it until the afternoon where I went to my house 40 miles away.

The car was stalling and making some noises and thought the fuel had either water or dirt - a not very rare event. When I arrived I realised that 1/4 of the tank burned and this morning I filled it up with fresh diesel from another gas station and it improved.

Now I'm draining the fuel and then I'll drive to the garage to check whether the damage was greater. I would appreciate to hear any comments on that.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: automotive disel engine petroleum
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 2

Re: Putting unleaded petrol into diesel tank and run for 80 miles.

07/25/2007 4:19 AM

I've always been under the impression that the main danger is seizing or wearing out the injector pump. If you've got that far and it's still running you may be OK but you may find the injector pump life shortened. Modern diesels are mostly'common rail' diesels with electromagnetic injectors and a continuous pump which may be more tolerant.

Anyone else any experience???

South Africa - Member - ShoSholoza Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

07/25/2007 5:19 AM

This happended to my VW Passat last week [petrol into the diesel fuel tank]. Car got to about 3 km and then cut out. Had to be towed to the service centre, fuel system drained and blown out with air. Runs OK now.

Does your Jeep have a catalytic converter? What is the effect of burning petrol instead of deiasel on this??

In reply to #2

07/30/2007 3:14 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Yes , my Jeep has a catalytic converter ! Unfortunately I don't know which is the effect of burning petrol instead of diesel .

Register to Reply

07/26/2007 7:03 AM

What you heard was pre-ignition (spark-nocking).

It probably didn't hurt the engine; but, have compression checked to be sure you haven't damaged pistons, rings, or warped valves.

In older diesels that were fairly hard to start; some owners manuals advised adding a couple gallons of gasoline to the deisel fuel for easier winter starting.

Again, you probably didn't hurt anything in that short distance; it just sounds terrible.

Have a gret day.

Eddie-nel

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

Good Answers: 12

07/26/2007 7:36 AM

I have a VW Combi 2.5TD here in South Africa that is used as a pool vehicle. Despite the DIESEL ONLY warning on the fuel flap and the similar warning we had stuck onto the speedometer, it has now been twice filled up by my idiots . . . er, staff. Both times the tanks and fuel lines was just cleared and we filled up again. No damage to the engine after another 20 000 km, and it does not have a catalyst (I think!). Still pulls like a bomb, even at the 1500-2000 m altitude we operate at - hooray for common rail turbodiesels!

Register to Reply

07/26/2007 7:30 PM

Gasoline can be mixed with diesel up to 20% without much harm done. In fact its advised to do so ( mixing 20%gas+80%diesel ) each 100.000km, in order to remove dirt and fattys glued to inside of the fuel tank and piping (these sediments increase as the use of bio-diesel increases, as bio-diesel is biodegradable). Don't forget to change fuel filter after this procedure.

Gasoline is much less of a lubricant as diesel is, so increased wear of injection pump and injectors is expected, but since it's a one time situation, not a continuos one, and in fact there was a mixing of diesel+gas, you shoud be fine.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster

12/26/2008 7:22 PM

What about putting water into a diesel tank? Without going into detail about the whys and wherefores my wife put about a litre of water into my Frontera. I don't know whether to start it or not? What will happen?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/21/2009 11:18 PM

I accidentally put about 4 litres into a Navara ST-R 2006 model which had more than 1/4 left in the tank. I quickly realised what i'd done but my mechainc advised to top it up with Diesel...

i'm a bit worried but kept getting the assurance that it won't be a problem. Anyone with some good advise.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/02/2009 10:08 AM

The pump attendant put 50 L of petrol in my 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0.CRD. I did not notice and drove 173km before it would not go anymore. At the time it was fully laden & towing a big boat in extreme heat. The tank was drained, filters and an actuator or swirl valve was replaced and the car now runs again. I've been informed by a number of mechanics that I can expect to encounter serious engine trouble sooner or later. Anyone out there that could explain what type of damage is to be expected?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

12/21/2009 9:00 AM

It'll start rattling.

Get rid when the knocking starts. A piston's trying to get out!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); bar_code506 (1); constantine (1); eddie-nel (1); gideon (1); The Hammer (1); Wrenched (1)

Previous in Forum: Flow Batteries in Miniature   Next in Forum: Central Heating Efficientcy Plumbing Question
You might be interested in: Fuel Testers, Fuel Cells, Fuel Additives

Advertisement