Previous in Forum: expert system   Next in Forum: I Need Help with a 1600 Deg C HIP Furnace Design
Close
Close
Close
28 comments

Where does the exhaust air of a submarine go?

09/13/2007 12:54 PM

pls,could any body intimate me with that.thanks has anybody got any thing to say to the russians on their FOAB

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: engine exhaust submarine
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 66

Re: Where does the exhaust air of a submarine go?

09/13/2007 2:57 PM

Are you referring to engine exhaust? Diesel powered submarines run on batteries while submerged. When on the surface, engine exhausts to the atmosphere (sometimes mixed with seawater for cooling). Some sophisticated machines can actually store exhaust gas if the engine must be operated for a time while submerged. The old German U-boats had to surface at regular intervals to run the diesel and re-charge the batteries. This was really the appeal of nuclear-powered submarines - they can stay submerged almost indefinitely.

If you're asking about internal atmosphere exhaust, what cannot be scrubbed is stored until surfacing, if not used in some novel way by the on-board compressed-air system.

09/13/2007 10:06 PM

It is not entirely clear to me, but you might be referring to "Air-Independant" Propulsion (AIP) for submarines. The idea has been around for maybe sixty years, but it was only recently made really effective and many countries are using it. You might look it up in the wikipedia.com reference site, or the US Navy has some information at:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/usw/issue_13/propulsion.htm

r/Sam Hicks

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

09/14/2007 12:46 AM

i suppose you are talking about diesel electric propelled submarines the diesel exhaust escapes through water as the exhaust out let is placed slightly bellow the surface of water and the engine is designed to withbstand back pressure up to 1Kg/Sqcm pressure so that these submarines can run the engines when submerged up to 9 meters depth (this is called snorting) the exhaust out lets are fitted with Non return flaps which will not allow water to enter the engine through engine exhaust system.i was submariner and has served for 10 years on board diesel electric submarines.

crm

Good Answers: 66
In reply to #3

09/14/2007 1:07 AM

Not so good for stealth though.

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member

In reply to #3

09/14/2007 1:17 AM

OFF Corse you are right.to day i dont know how many diesel electric submarines are in use excpt countries like India and countries in indian sub continent.

crm

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #5

09/15/2007 5:06 PM

Almost all nations still have "conventional" subs, Germany recently launched a new one and they build them for other nations too. The diesel sub is not dead.....

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #3

09/17/2007 7:19 AM

Do you mean, running the diesels while submerged at periscope depth by means of the snorkel? This pulls in supply air for the engine and routes exhaust gases as well. I've never heard of exhausting directly into the water. Seems awful dangerous.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #7

09/17/2007 7:26 AM

Why dangerous, some outboard motors have been doing it for years.......!

Is just has to be properly engineered so as not to load the diesel engine too much!!!

In reply to #8

09/17/2007 7:50 AM

Well for one thing, outboard motors don't sit sixty-feet below the surface when they are running! If the flapper fails in the snorkel, you flood the engine.

In reply to #10

09/17/2007 7:20 PM

They are engineered rather well and water will NOT get into the intake.

The changing pressures (the engine takes air from the boat for a second or two) as the flap opens and closes on a rough day are a bit nerve wracking, thats all.....its still better than being bombed........just about anyway.....!

In reply to #7

09/17/2007 7:30 AM

Both air induction and exhaust system is disgned and built such that water seldom enters the engine through air induction or exhaust.secondly the entire submarine crew is trained to operate the systems with grate care.Its not so simple to Join submarines and earning dalphine badge.

crm

In reply to #9

09/17/2007 7:17 PM

...nor to spell correctly my friend. Use the checker!!!

In reply to #11

09/17/2007 11:21 PM

Thank you

crm

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #14

09/18/2007 3:24 AM

Your courtesy does you credit crm.

I am not so polite and neither is Andy.

Andy - I have no desire to diss you or make a mountain out of a molehill, but come on. If the writers intent is clear, is spelling correction necessary ? I have my pet hates and occasional ( OK, quite a lot ) of caustic moments too. Yes, you said it in a friendly/jokey way, but none the less, was that one worthy ? Compared to some spelling mistakes that was minor. The spell checker is American English, some words have variant spellings, other words may be ambiguous to non-English speakers. etc etc. In the cause of not diverting an interesting chat, would you be interested in us kicking off a thread on the topic of spelling ? Your point is valid to some extent, and so is mine. What say you that we both try to get something specific rolling on this one. A bit of dialogue on this topic might be both useful and fun.

I'll make no apology for my spelling or gramme here ( probably nowhere else either), but I think a lot of people may be interested in discussing the general issue. If you have the time, I'd be keen to explore this issue - clear communication is an important topic. Let me know + would you prefer me or yourself to initiate a thread on this. You and I have clashed mildly before, but I think we are both capable of initiating a useful ( and hopefully friendly) debate on the topic.

Kris

ps - sorry to all for interrupting the topic at hand, but Andy has triggered my mind for an interesting subject to discuss. It may be of value to all contributers on CR4. Just for reference, I spell checked this post - 1 error was corrected, and I did not deliberately load it to fool the spell chacker. My grammer is as bad as my spelling ( I have a very funny joke on that topic Andy, but you'll have to take me up on this to find out ).

In reply to #15

09/18/2007 8:13 AM

I get your point completely, but it is SO easy to use the checker, thats what its there for!!! Its free even......!

I try to set a good example, but of course nothing is 100%, neither am I....some words still get through uncorrected....my Grammar is getting Germanized I see occasionally....awful!

I need the checker, in spite of the fact that it is a USA dictionary, who cares if it spells the American way and not the British.....

I am a Brit....but I try and be nice to our "Revolting Colonies" wherever I can!!! Its too far back in time to worry!!

Signed,

(Still a member of) Perfidious Albion. (I wonder how many of you born in the USA, know what that means and who said it? The Brits will know.....)

In reply to #16

09/18/2007 9:40 AM

"Revolting Colonies"

LOL. You just made the point in a humorous and witty way. Nice one Andy.

In reply to #11

09/18/2007 8:33 AM

"It is a poor man that can only spell a word one way," Mark Twain.

In reply to #17

09/18/2007 1:30 PM

Love it!!

In reply to #9

09/18/2007 1:49 PM

Yeah, you'd think so, but accidents do happen. USS Squalus sunk in 1939 when they dove and the main induction wasn't completely shut. Even though they had green across the board and put pressure in the boat they were able to flood both engine rooms, the after battery, and the after torpedo compartment. Twenty-six men perished when the boat sunk to the bottom in less than 300 foot of water. Granted this was a few years before USN put snorkels with flapper valves on their boats. You are correct in your assertion that water SELDOM enters the engine through air induction or exhaust. If it routinely happened, they would probably have a difficult time in getting volunteers to ride those pigboats. Submariners are well trained as they should be; everyone depends on each other to stay alive.

09/17/2007 7:33 PM

Hi placid, I'm not going to be following this thread (interesting though it is), but I thought you might like a link to the rather trragic story of K-boats. It's sort of related to your question.

Kris

In reply to #13

09/19/2007 5:38 AM

Thanks for the link i knew about steam boats of Royal navy but information avilable is fantstic on the web site you sent Thaks

crm

09/19/2007 5:20 AM

in the sea

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

09/19/2007 1:49 PM

What I neglected to mention was that on some subs, the air from the schnorkel passed through some compartments before getting to the engine, causing a really strong breeze, that got rid of a lot of the smells from undersea life, for a short time at least!!

Even the girls in Pompey(or any other Navy port!), no matter how good you bathed, knew that you were on a sub as you exuded diesel from every pore!!!

If you were on a RN Frigate (or destroyer) in a MK44 Turret in a big shoot, your farts smelt of cordite for several days later!!!! That was worse really!!!

You Guys do not know what B.O. really is !!! In the middle of the south China sea with temps of over 110°F up top!!!...and warmer below!!

The VCDs that supplied our fresh water were good, except they needed constant attention to work correctly, sometimes they would both go out and leave us with enough to drink, but not to wash.......till we got them running again....like 24 or 48 hours later!

The water sometimes had tiny tar particles floating in it from the fresh water tanks, if you washed a shirt (or anything else) with even the tiniest amount of nylon in it, the tar became part of the shirt immediately!!!

In reply to #23

09/19/2007 11:14 PM

We used to carry sufficient fresh water meant for drinking and cucking,and we had VCDs producing distilled water for batterries and engine cooling bathing was not permitted while we were at sea this was for Sovit Built submarines.and Sovit built submarines were not built with bath rooms.when HDW built submarines joined the fleet water rotine was same.The bathrooms built on board HDW built German submarines were converted as stores the day German submarines joined indian fleet.this is just for your information

crm

In reply to #24

09/20/2007 3:23 AM

Wow, very interesting!!!

You know what I mean about B.O. then???

In reply to #25

09/20/2007 5:25 AM

I dont know

murali

In reply to #24

09/20/2007 6:08 AM

What does cucking mean? I guess VCDs are distillers.

In reply to #27

09/21/2007 6:22 AM

Sorry "Cooking", my failure....

VCD = Vapour Compression Distillery.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (9); Anonymous Poster (2); crm (7); CSM Engineer (2); Kris (3); Kyoto (5)

Previous in Forum: expert system   Next in Forum: I Need Help with a 1600 Deg C HIP Furnace Design

Advertisement