CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Canadian Company Claims Breakthrough in Transforming CO2 Into Liquid Fuel   Next in Forum: MON/Methane Number
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

OK, What Sci-Fi Book Would You Like to See as a Movie?

06/11/2018 1:32 PM

We've just been going over the best SF films to date. Now which SF books would you like to see made into a movie? I'll start with one of my favorites "The Door Into Summer."

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12

Re: OK, what Sci-Fi book would you like to see as a movie?

06/11/2018 1:51 PM

Setting (the popularity bar) relatively low, I would personally like to a movie of Robert Heinlein's ''Have Spacesuit, Will Travel''...

... and/or an asian sequel to ''The Forbin Project''...

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #1

06/11/2018 7:31 PM

Other than those, I'd like to see ''Con Air 2 (in space)''...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 363
In reply to #14

06/11/2018 7:51 PM

You mean like Airplane II, The sequel.

United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #14

06/12/2018 7:24 AM

hah. i like it

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 280

06/11/2018 2:15 PM

The Illustrated Man.

Yeah, already been done, the incoherent storylines of the vignettes bumbled along through the dimly lit painted curtains that passed as scene sets.

The 1969 film doesn’t begin to reveal the crafted short stories that Ray Bradbury quilled for the fans.

Needs Deserves a remake, a re-do, a reboot.

Good Answers: 26

06/11/2018 2:25 PM

I need some help with my answer because I don't remember the book's name, so maybe someone HERE recalls the title?

Years ago I read a paperback Sci-Fi novel in which a spaceship (a) having a "double name" carried the humans from earth in search for a new world and (b) had robed navigators who chanted (like Catholic monks) memorized star chart tables as they 'worried' galactic navigational beads.

It was only at the story's end that you learned that the "double-name" meant New York, NY, and that earth didn't exist any more...akin to the "Statue of Liberty" realization moment in Planet of the Apes.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Location: Washington (the state), 2 blocks from the Columbia River
Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

06/12/2018 10:45 AM

Book you are thinking of is "Cities in Flight" by James Blish for the double name NY, NY.

As for the memorized star chart table you might be thinking of "Starman Jones" by RA Heinlein.

My nominations are "Wasp" by EF Russell, "Little Fuzzie" by H Beam Piper and "Bill, the Galactic Hero" by Harry Harrison (at least with a budget of more than $100,000).

'Nuff of this, back to work. (drat)

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

06/11/2018 2:47 PM

Mathew Reilly novel "Temple"

is kinda SciFi (not too distant future, but mostly action (The action part is a little out of there) ... similar to the early Indiana Jones movies...

Ice Station is a little better...

Area 7 is good too.

Yes,... I like Mathew Reilly, But if I had to choose one, It would be Arthur C Clarke Rendezvous with Rama for now.... I read that in the 70's as a teenager,... loved it.

Given some time,... I'm sure I can come up with a few others....

Good Answers: 1218

06/11/2018 3:02 PM

This Hollow Earth....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

Re: OK, What Sci-Fi Book Would You Like to See as a Movie?

06/11/2018 3:28 PM

Friday by Robert A. Heinlein With Jamie Lee Curtis as Friday!

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #6

06/11/2018 4:01 PM

An inspired choice, both of the book and the casting.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #8

06/14/2018 10:51 AM

Thank you. She still has an amazing body.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 802

06/11/2018 3:49 PM

Hal Clement's novel "Needle" would be great to see. It won't have much CGI effects or action. Along the same vein but with certainly plenty of action is Wesley Chu's "The Lives of Tao", supposedly this is going to become a TV series.

Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 138

06/11/2018 5:01 PM

Larry Niven's "Ring World" series...

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #9

06/12/2018 10:26 AM

Yes, that or even the Man-Kzin Wars. Larry Niven did a lot of joint projects with other SYFY authors, they wrote their books with the intention that other authors can take their book and write a sequel to it, like Poul Anderson worked with Larry Niven and Stirling, a lot of authors wrote novels keeping that series going.

Good Answers: 133

06/11/2018 5:09 PM

The problem I have with movies based on books that I have read and loved is that when I read a story, I visualize the characters and the action in my own mind. Invariable, the screenwriter's and actors interpretation of the story is never what I envisioned. In the worst cases, the screenwriter tries to write his own story, using the basic storyline and characters of the original author. The best SF and fantasy movies that I have seen were the original creations of the screenwriter, and not based on an an existing book (or at least, a book that I never read)

In reply to #10

06/11/2018 5:20 PM

Movies can never replace the strength of your imagination of reading.

movies have always been somewhat disappointing when watched after you read the book. Jaws was my first experience.... but my disappointment was only slight.

Good Answers: 1218
In reply to #12

06/13/2018 11:00 AM

Maybe someday AI will enable us to make personalized movies that appeal to us based on our own perceptions, so that everyone sees a different movie, cast and scenery etc. that is tailored to your own thoughts....a computer generated movie..in vr.... Hey that might be a good idea for a movie !!...

In reply to #27

06/13/2018 11:13 AM

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #27

06/13/2018 11:54 AM

I believe the movie "Clue" was supposed to have the audience select which of the three endings to show.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 634

06/11/2018 5:10 PM

I second the nomination of 'Door Into Summer'. I'll also nominate a few other Heinlein books: 'Citizen of the Galaxy', 'Starman Jones', and 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'.

Two of Isaac Asimov's stories were made into movies, and both were badly done: 'Nightfall' and 'I, Robot'. Both were particularly annoying because both of them told the exact opposite message of what Asimov was trying to convey. -- So I'd like to see both done again, if they could be done true to the story.

There are so many others to choose, but I'd also want to nominate the 'Lensman' series by E. E. 'Doc' Smith.

Good Answers: 694

06/11/2018 6:11 PM

Is the producer of the movie going to read the book? I think lots of times they don't.

Register to Reply

06/12/2018 8:33 AM

War for Eternity

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

06/12/2018 8:39 AM

I would love to see the Ben Bova (awesome SciFi) "Moonrise" & "Moonwar" (or anything from the Grand Tour series) made into good movies.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

06/12/2018 8:41 AM

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. Apparently, HBO owns the rights, so that's a good start. They usually make quality movies/series.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 27

06/12/2018 10:34 AM

Sargent Rock.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 60

06/12/2018 11:07 AM

I would like to see a few movies to correct gross errors of the past.

Starting with Lost Boys. The book was excellent and the movie was "based upon a title" and had nothing whatsoever to do with the story.

The Dark Tower series, true to the book storyline, rather than the Gunslinger "light" that hit the theaters. Seven or more movies, or perhaps a miniseries (maxiseries?).

Finally the Hitchhikers Guide trilogy. All six books of it. Again, true to the books (and perhaps the radio scripts as well).

Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series would also be high on my list.

Aspirin's Myth series (Myth Inc, Mything Persons, ImPervEctions and others) would make a very light hearted series.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

06/12/2018 11:22 AM

I agree that I would've liked Douglas Adams to have included more of the original material in the Hitchhiker's movie script he wrote. I suspect his untimely death had a lot to do with minimizing any rewrite performed but that was Douglas Adams work.

The enormous amount of material from all six books though could make twenty or thirty films all on their own. A TV series might be a better choice but this would still require some thought full reduction. Speaking of television and Douglas Adams, I loved the two television seasons of Dirk Gently Holistic Detective.

06/12/2018 4:04 PM

While not true SciFy (more fantasy fiction), Anne McCaffrey's "Dragon Riders of Pern" series was great...

Good Answers: 90

06/12/2018 4:29 PM

... nobody should be surprised to learn that book reports I had to do in school were often stories that happen to have been made into motion pictures..

Never failed to do well with those.

A good amount of my daily reading could be described as 'dimwit exchange'

That said if I'm the producer of said movie IlI' also be the writer.

Who doesn't have thier own ideas for movies/books? ...but like many things.. it's only an idea without action. Ahhh well.. back to work

Good Answers: 28

06/19/2018 12:30 PM

How about " THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST"

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); Baxter (1); Bayes (1); dnielsen (1); Doorman (1); gringogreg (1); Janissaries (1); JE in Chicago (1); JL Dowell (1); Jpfalt (1); MR. Guest (2); North of 60 (3); not so smart (1); Original_Macgyver (2); phoenix911 (4); redfred (3); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); SSCpal (1); tonyhemet (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Canadian Company Claims Breakthrough in Transforming CO2 Into Liquid Fuel   Next in Forum: MON/Methane Number

Advertisement