Previous in Forum: Polar 150 Guillotine Won't Cut   Next in Forum: Heating Up the Attic
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

Diaphragm vs. Peristaltic

02/26/2019 11:16 AM

Is there a preference between diaphragm or peristaltic pumps for pumping aluminum sulfate? Also, is there a preference between the two for pumping sodium hypochlorite?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Diaphragm vs. Peristaltic

02/26/2019 12:53 PM
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

02/26/2019 4:09 PM

Depends. Are you trying to move high volume or is accurate metering the goal?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

In reply to #2

02/26/2019 4:34 PM

Accurate metering is important; its for water treatment. The chlorine needs to pump from .025 to .25 gpm, and the alum needs to pump from .05 to .5 gpm.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #3

02/26/2019 5:15 PM

Peristaltic pumps are the way to go for that kind of application.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 92

02/26/2019 9:43 PM

Diaphragm- that's my personal preference.

With your flow requirements you should easily find metering pumps of either style to fit the need. It's just that my experience with peristaltic pumps over time is that the hose wear reduces accuracy. Enclosed models may have a slight advantage in terms of containment safety over diaphragm pumps, but exposed hose types are worse. With either one the hose or diaphragm is a wear component that will eventually have to be replaced.

Also, peristaltic pumps require a speed controller to vary flow but most diaphragm type metering pumps use an adjustable stroke. Prominent is one manufacturer I know of that has both types, so I'd suggest you ask someone like them.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

02/26/2019 11:04 PM

The answer is as simple as this:

PeriStatic pump hands down !

Why: the availability of Materials which is just a tube comes in a multitude of Polymers with a broad chemical stability and compatibility, also the sizes available of the tube ID can dictate pressure and volume.

This being said, not all PeriStatic pump are created equal both in quality and designs,

I have if you wish what I spent a lot of money in qualifying for my business, so I can save you a lot of money and time specially in doing it right the first time.

Here on one of my websites, you will find a great resource that I offer free of charge to my industrial clients.

CR4 Admin: From the Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the forum's internal messaging system.

This post is strictly commercial. Since I couldn't move it to commercial space I removed all of the commercial information.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

Good Answers: 7

02/26/2019 11:56 PM

My usage of both styles has been on a smaller scale over the years with the type of instruments I've worked on.

My experience - a peri-pump is not as accurate with the volume of fluid it moves, and as the tubing/hose wears it can be further compromised.

I like diaphragm pumps since they are displacing a set amount of fluid, you just need to be sure of proper vacuum and pressure for delivery.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58

02/27/2019 2:36 AM

Both types will work for your application. The choice will be down to one or more of the following - the system requirements, cost, accuracy of dosing required, reliability and availability requirement, speed and cost of repair, availability of skills required to repair etc.

Not sure if it is relevant to your application, but the peristaltic pump is almost pulsation free,which is not the case with a diaphragm pump.

In reply to #7

02/27/2019 4:10 AM

Please, do not dismiss the temperature which can be a huge variable depending on what you are dosing. A lot of experience is supporting my statement.

Register to Reply

02/27/2019 6:12 AM

Thanks for the info

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

02/27/2019 9:11 AM

For those applications, a proprietary dosing pump is the solution.

These are normally found in engineered-up package dosing plant, with all valves and controls attached, from a number of suppliers. Commercial preference would dictate the way to go in these matters.

02/27/2019 9:49 AM

If you are running a Floculator, we always ran Diaphragm such as LMI on the Alum, and peristaltic such as Stenner on the CL. The Stenners are a high maintenance, temperamental affair and not very fun to work on. I have recently used the Walchem brand for Boiler Chemical feed. They have some advantages depending on what you need.

Register to Reply
Guru
India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 52

02/27/2019 1:20 PM

Both type of pumps can be designed for required pressure and flow rates(with in limits) But-

Fundamental difference

Diaphragm pump: - Liquid contact with multiple materials and multiple components

Higher probability of contamination, and dissolved material in flowing media

peristaltic pumps:- Liquid contact with single materials single component(tube)

Lower probability of contamination, and dissolved material in flowing media

Choice is your

Guru

Good Answers: 1662

02/27/2019 4:05 PM

If you order the incorrect pump, based on the personal opinions of forum members, you will be the one who suffers if your choice is not right.

If you go to a couple of pump suppliers and pose your question, with as much detail as you can offer, they will then be obligated to offer the correct pump AND give you tech support if you have problems.

This is your very best option.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #6

02/27/2019 5:53 PM

So sad, admins removed the link I posted to Parker polymer / chemical compatibility chart in helping on your project , achh, now I know why I am not hanging around CR4

Arrivederci

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818
In reply to #14

02/28/2019 4:22 AM

Quite. Neither the forum nor its individual subscribers can be liable in the vent of a incorrect selection.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (2); jadestarcat (1); JNB (1); JosephSager (1); LAchavez (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (2); rakesh_semwal (1); Sid_Sidow (1); SolarEagle (1); stclaireusa (3); The Prof (1)

Previous in Forum: Polar 150 Guillotine Won't Cut   Next in Forum: Heating Up the Attic

Advertisement