Previous in Forum: The Hero of United Flight 232   Next in Forum: Recent Space News
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

Can Physicists Rewrite the Origin Story of the Universe?

09/16/2019 2:38 PM

This article points out why it is hard to change an accepted theory with one just as good:

physicists-rewrite-origin-universe-inflation

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: Can Physicists Rewrite the Origin Story of the Universe?

09/16/2019 4:11 PM

They most certainly can and have in the past rewritten the origin of the universe. Long ago they thought the universe did not have an origin and it was pretty much stable. Then they got more observational data that lead to today's common perspective of both an origin and increasing expansion. Still, as the article briefly touches upon, today's consensus does not explain everything observed, like dark matter and dark energy. When a new origin theory explains any of the mysterious and previously explained observations then the new theory has a chance to replace the old. This is regardless of how more or less complicated the new theory is compared with the old theory. The clincher is always when a new theory predicts something we didn't know to look for and low and behold the new phenomena is observed.

However, if a new theory offers only more complexity, then as the article confirms, Occam's razor rules.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

09/16/2019 7:43 PM

Well, there has been considerable work invested in developing the present theory. A new theory has to explain all the present theory explains plus some things it doesn't before people are willing to take a wrecking ball to the present edifice and rebuild. As technology advances and better observations and experiments unearth enough "unexplainables" in the old theory, a new theory has a chance to replace the old.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

09/17/2019 1:49 PM

The short answer is yes, given true scientific principles are followed to confirm modification. A complete rewrite is doubtful

In reviewing your source material, I came across a more disturbing topic:

In America’s Science Classrooms, the Creep of Climate Skepticism

Conservative groups are working hard to challenge the teaching of mainstream climate science in schools. In Florida, they’ve found a winning strategy.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

09/17/2019 2:24 PM

With political biases entering science curricula down in Florida, I see fewer Florida students entering college in the future. It's no wonder now that that bridge collapsed.

In reply to #4

09/17/2019 3:10 PM

There's a whole new wave of ignorance, and intolerance, sweeping our country, from the very top on down.

Guru

In reply to #5

09/17/2019 3:45 PM

I'm not so sure how new this is. Look at what Andrew Jackson did to the Cherokee and many other tribes with the Indian Removal Act of 1830. The Seminoles fought back and mostly remained in the Everglades due to its natural defensive capabilities. Ignorance, intolerance and even genocide are not new to this country, despite our rhetoric.

In reply to #6

09/17/2019 4:50 PM

But, but, someone (a "stable genius") recently opined ""I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart," Trump said during an interview Monday with Salena Zito. "He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said 'There's no reason for this."

Jackson, died in 1845. The American Civil War began 16 years later.

I guess they don't teach history, or common sense, at Wharton.

I'll OT this since we've strayed some.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

09/17/2019 11:09 PM

Who else would be capable of noticing inaccuracies in an earlier theory, and then actually trying to correct them? Surely not mystics and ecclesiastics.

In reply to #8

05/03/2020 6:22 AM

Honestly, I'm not at all surprised at this. You noticed that the pendulum swung the other way over the past 15 years. Instead of flying to the moon - proof of flat earth theory. Instead of investing in science, a study of 999 meaning. In fact, such a layer in society has always existed - a mixture of religion, superstition, and a bit of esotericism. I am not against it, but not when it begins to replace fundamental science. I can’t even predict what we will get as a result in another 10 years.

Power-User

In reply to #9

05/03/2020 6:55 AM

We have a lot of history books going back 2000+ year and yet someone want to explain how everything started. This is pure ignorance form people who think a theory is fact!

One tested book is the bible, yeah it will always have questions on who wrote it. But you have to look at history with a open mind.

Even today we can't explain our own workings of this planet, and yet some are coming forward to explain the universe.

If space is fact, then you would have to explain how a rocket that produce thrust due to expanding gases can react to no atmosphere pressure.

No different then a boat impeller that create opposite flow to move forward.

It's a fact that atmosphere pressure is related to thrust.

Nasa claims their rockets go 17,000 mph and yet not one single data explaining rocket engine flow rate, they talk about thrust only.

You can't have it both ways. Even the SR-71 would only go under 100,000 ft any it's not made of aluminum as Nasa rocket are.

SR-71 being 93% titanium due to mach 2.3 that creates temperatures above melting point of aluminum.

So do you believe Nasa rockets go 17,000 mph or 24,933.33 ft/sec?

So got off the topic a little, but you can't have theories without questioning with some facts.

Tom

Good Answers: 1725
In reply to #10

05/03/2020 10:31 PM

Good Answers: 32

05/03/2020 1:58 PM

While I do believe that there was some sort of "explosion" 12 or so billion years ago ( I wasn't there and Lynn won't tell me ), the truth of the matter is that we have discovered a star ( and likely many more ) that predates our conception of the Big Bang by 2 to 5 billion years. This body is not in a neighboring universe but in our own. This indicates that something was already here and our part of it is newer. The possibility of an expansion and contraction could account for this "anomaly". It may be that the universe doesn't expand and contract as a single unit but as several separate sections.

In reply to #11

05/03/2020 5:48 PM

The question is who created the explosion, you can't have nothing one moment and then a big bang from nothing.

Intelligent designer beyond our understand, is what happen. You can destroy a bridge with TNT, but someone made the TNT and who lite the fuse?

Guru

In reply to #12

05/03/2020 10:55 PM

Who said there was nothing earlier? Who said somebody or something had to start the process?

Your entire reply is nothing but a straw man propped up by flimsy ignorance in order to knock the straw man down.

In reply to #12

05/04/2020 3:42 AM

The big bang was caused by gasses being pressed together in a tight little ball ( about a trillionth of the size of the dot at the end of this sentence [.] ). This created extreme heat and an explosion. Considering that the amount of matter (gas) in that ball was equal to the amount of matter that makes up our entire universe, give or take a few atoms. That had to be a lot of heat and pressure.

Not to be crude but imagine a fart; pressurized gas, and tiny particles of stuff that we don't want to talk about, forcibly ejected from the body in the form of heated gas. No intelligent design, just a biological function; nature at its finest.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but this doesn't imply intelligent design. just a fact of nature. However this doesn't mean that we aren't just a big lab experiment being studied by some big eyed aliens.

In reply to #15

05/04/2020 4:34 AM

Again, where did these gases come from, who made the atom?

To have a big bang, where did the ingredients come from?

Even farts come from foods and other odd things we eat....lol

The big bang is design to filter the real question of who made everything.

Is there a God, who made?

We will never really know, but coming up with theories is like a bed time story that nobody questions!

In reply to #16

05/04/2020 8:39 AM

Just out of pure curiosity, do you believe in aliens, intelligent beings from other planets?

In reply to #17

05/04/2020 9:10 AM

What I believe, has nothing to do with common sense questions.

Maybe you should explain your own thinking, before asking others.

I been down that road before, educated liberals use it to attack words like: stupid, uneducated and so on. Especially when they themselves can't answer the question!

Nice try "NOT SO SMART"!

In reply to #18

05/04/2020 10:58 AM

I'm not a liberal and have no intention of insulting you or anyone else. As stated it was simply a curiosity. I'm always open minded enough to listen to, and sometimes even adjust my understanding of, others who think differently. I've learned a great deal here on this forum over the years by doing just that. my conversation with you is now ended, I do wish you good luck my friend.

In reply to #11

05/04/2020 10:26 AM

You have to remember that all of the techniques that fix an age to anything billion of years old have significant uncertainties due to the many assumptions needed to produce a metric. Stars do not come with a UPC to scan with their expiration date. Nor are they granted a birth certificate one can look up if you pay the fee with the appropriate bureaucrat.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

lyn (3); not so smart (4); redfred (5); Rixter (1); SienJoe (1); SolarEagle (1); TommeyReed (4); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: The Hero of United Flight 232   Next in Forum: Recent Space News

Advertisement