Previous in Forum: Gravitational Waves Detected   Next in Forum: Can the Chinese Build a Hospital in 10 Days?
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Acoustic Deterrent for Problem Neighbours

01/25/2020 10:56 AM

We live in an apartment block with around 400 people living within a 200 metre radius.

It was a beautifully quiet place to live until 2 years ago when an apartment was leased to some people who like to party all day , all night , 5 to 7 Days a Week.

when they party they scream like 100 monkeys having their first beer , anybody living within 200 metres has to wear earplugs to get any sleep so it’s a woeful time for young children who can’t sleep then go to school and fall asleep in classes.

normally , in a rich area police would attend and shut them down within an hour or two but for some reason in THIS neighbourhood when we call police we got told aggressively to “f*** off”

i don’t know what kind of drugs they use to keep awake for so long but police have zero interest.

I would have bet money that someone would have walked in with a shotgun by now to remove any ambiguity in their social responsibility...but surprisingly not.

I tried to find a supplier of cheap Long Range Accoustic Deterrent devices like police or army use for crowd control but sadly they are not yet available on fleabay.

any suggestions ?

we can’t move out because we own it and resale values have fallen because of these neighbours.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Re: Acoustic deterrent for problem neighbours

01/25/2020 1:18 PM

I feel for you. Once, long ago, I lived in an apartment and the people downstairs would turn their stereo up loud so they could go outside and listen to it, not caring that other people lived in the building.

I happened to be building a high voltage power supply for a night vision scope. Every time they turned up the volume, I powered up my supply and drew an arc across the output, generated a large amount of static on the stereo, which fortunately was tuned to a radio station.

After a few iterations, my neighbor somehow reached the conclusion that excessive volume was ruining his stereo and didn't turn it up loud anymore.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

01/25/2020 1:53 PM

Circulate a petition to your neighbors and see if you have a consensus opinion that these neighbors are undesirables....If you find that the neighbors are of one mind, and in agreement with your opinion, start a pool and ask for donations to pursue your goal...Hire a lawyer...build a case...sue the landlord...

Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27

01/25/2020 6:14 PM

@SolarEagle has a great idea. Week 1 I would suggest as a start paintballing the cars of the party goers. Week 2 flatten tires, Week 3 spray paint cars. Week 4 break windows.

I was enlisted, S.E. obviously was an Officer and Gentlemen

Guru

01/25/2020 9:20 PM

I can't help noticing that you failed to mention anybody approaching these headbangers and asking them politely to keep the noise down....that would be the way to go....repeatedly asking them to keep the noise down by several neighbors might be enough to drive them out....simple effective

Good Answers: 242

01/26/2020 12:25 AM

It sounds like your local police are less than ethical! Surely there is some superior person or organization that has responsibility for them. You need to find out who and apply some pressure. By "you", I mean a group of affected persons.

Good Answers: 18

01/26/2020 1:01 AM

When I was an apartment dweller I used to have a roommate who was a sound engineer. His speakers in our apartment were classic Altec A7's, which used to be the standard for speakers behind the screen at a movie theater. When our neighbors got rowdy we would put on the soundtrack to the movie 'Earth Quake' and crank it up! About 10 seconds of that and the whole apartment building would be silent, presumably because most of them had evacuated the building and weren't coming back for a while!

Good Answers: 22

01/26/2020 3:08 AM

In the UK, the local council have the responsibility for noise complaints. They will send someone round to measure noise levels, and take the actions necessary to alleviate the issue.

Recording the dates & times of all occurrences helps in court, but if you all have put up with it for two years already you may have set a precedent of acceptance.

While most people will accept the occasional party, I'm surprised this has been allowed to go on for years without a group effort at eliminating the problem. Unless all your neighbours get invited?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

01/26/2020 10:19 AM

These guys are Sudanese , I witnessed a local shopkeeper asking them to keep the noise down and 7 of these guys surrounded him and threatened to stab him / chop off his head ... they also blatantly shoplift from local stores but the shop owners just watch but do nothing , one of them told me “what can we do- they will come back later and kill us or burn our store”

i suspect police do nothing because social services ask them to “give these people a chance to integrate”

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #7

01/26/2020 10:25 AM

most other suburbs would have police kicking doors in , issuing fines and confiscating their sound equipment , but this area has 95 % immigrants and we have social services do-Gooders and civil libertarians bleating to give them “equality” while they engage in home invasions murders burglaries shoplifting rape ...and loud parties.

the country I am too ashamed to mention is a “first world” ally of the US

Guru

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #9

01/26/2020 10:44 AM

Is it?... California?

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Re: Acoustic Deterrent for Problem Neighbours

01/26/2020 10:59 AM

Is there a power panel with a breaker for each apartment in the building? You know those amplifiers draw a lot of current, and there's no telling when they might trip the breaker (hint, hint).

Guru

In reply to #8

01/26/2020 2:34 PM

Then your society is breaking down...Having the rule of law enforced is essential to maintain a civilized society....blurring the lines for one segment of the population does not serve the others well and violates another basic rule for society, equal treatment under the law....When the standing government representatives fail to serve society properly, they need to be removed from office and replaced with someone who will...all that being said the threat of violence is not the same as the act of violence, have these acts of violence actually occurred, or is this just intimidation and fear at work? All I know is when your rights are threatened, you need a lawyer....

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

01/26/2020 4:18 PM

Local Authorities can invoke proceedings for things being a statutory Public Nuisance. Contact the local public health team. Their number is in the local telephone directory, and with any luck their website as well.

In reply to #10

01/26/2020 4:47 PM

Haha...the shoe fits...

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #11

01/26/2020 5:34 PM

Tried that , after the second time they padlocked the switchboard (illegal) , and the spot where the switchboards are located is one of the spots where they defecate at night when they are partying , presumably because the garden is cleaner than their own apartment.

Guru

Good Answers: 249

01/27/2020 6:39 AM

If you can find an amplifier powerful enough to generate the Mosquito Tone,you may be able to return their favor,say a couple of hundred watts and a parabolic reflector to direct the sound?Calculate the focal distance to a fine point,and sweep the areas.

Also,a microphone and an amplifier,that amplifies their own sound and generates feedback at a very high level would be quite irritating to them.You could adjust sensitivity of the input to a certain level.I am sure you have heard the squeal in many places when the input gain was too high

Shared costs would make it feasible.

United you stand,divided you fall.

If they are violating a building or fire code by locking the breaker panels,call the electrical inspector or fire department.

Keep going up the chain of command to the Mayor,who just loves bad publicity.

Do not do anything illegal,but there are many ways to make your voice heard above the din.

Call your local TV troubleshooter,make a public spectacle.

Mold and germs hate bright lights.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 251

01/27/2020 6:53 AM

If you can't beat them, then join them!!

Option 1) Turn up (as a group) for each party, eat drink and be merry from their pantry and then leave.

Option 2) Wait until they finish and then crank up your own party to keep them awake and so on.

Option 3) Anonymous reports from various residents about soliciting, under age drinking, drug deals and so on as each party commences. Maybe even choose a federal jurisdiction to bypass the local (apathetic) authorities.

Option 4) Complain/Report them to the social services branch involved with copies to the local federal politician. After suitable time, then same letters as open copy to the media.

Option 5) Send a Tweet to "I trump you" with details and see what happens

Good Answers: 287

01/27/2020 11:51 AM

If we don't know which country you're in, it's very difficult to advise properly.

It sounds as though anything you do which can be traced back to you would be very dangerous.

Maybe you could anonymously hire some vigilantes like the seven samurai (the magnificent seven).

Good Answers: 144

01/27/2020 2:41 PM

At a magic shop. I used to sell little glass vial stink bombs 3 for a $1.25 they smelled like rotten eggs magnified 50x for awhile. They were made so someone stepping on them let out the stink.

Being about the size of a cigarette butt and fragile. One would walk on it unknowingly.. like right outside the door.

I'm not condoning this.

Just letting you know how someone else dealt with a similar situation.

If I remember correctly.

That's a scary situation.

Sorry you have to deal with that level of nonsense.

Good Answers: 24

01/27/2020 5:01 PM

Does you local council have noise regulations?

Perhaps approach them, lodge a complaint, if the council gets involved, they have more weight to swing than you... and more influence with the police and other authorities, also lodge an official complaint that the police refused to investigate and responded to you with abusive language, there is no excuse for that.

Guru

In reply to #18

01/27/2020 6:04 PM

You mean the "A" team???

No, not them....the real "A" TEAM....

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member Australia - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 1

01/28/2020 8:46 AM

If you haven't already;-

Record the date, time, durations. You could also measure dB levels (noisemeter app). Also a have a record of your complaints and the response from police, council etc.

I would enlist other residents so it is not just you complaining. Put your complaint in writing with a summary of the incidents and undersigned by residents.

If there is a local Sudanese community association it might be worth talking to them.

You could also talk to your local member of parliament.

Lodge your complaint with the local council and the Environmental Protection Agency.

I would try to find out who manages/owns the property and lodge a complaint to them also.

With your incident records and record of inaction by council and police I would then go to the media, starting with a local print journalist. After all, the successful integration of these people into the local community is always promoted and talked-up by politicians and mainstream media.

I feel for you. I had problems with crazy nuisance barking by dogs in my neighborhood. Bureaucrats like the council and police want to take the easy path, they are really not interested in you and your complaint. I found that persistence paid off.

Guru

Good Answers: 249

02/03/2020 10:18 AM

Hypothetically speaking,but not encouraging anyone to take such action as is mentioned below:

In other words,Don't try this at home.

How about a small directional low-power EMP generator that would shut down their equipment.Impossible to connect you to it.

Maybe tune it to the voice coils of the speakers.

Power it from an isolated battery power supply so it does not show up on your power usage(yes,the power companies can monitor second-by-second power usage on anyone). Easy with the new smart meters.

Just a power spike that did it.

Brief fast bursts are very hard to trace.

I also know that a few people are terrified of thunderstorms,so a good set of bass speakers and a audio file of a thunderstorm approaching might make them go inside at least.

Jus' thinkin'

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #23

02/03/2020 12:23 PM

Hypothetically speaking , that’s in the vein of what I may have hypothetically been thinking of..... :)

And because a microwave directed beam sounds expensive to build.

Reply to Forum Thread 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); dkwarner (1); GM1964 (1); HiTekRedNek (2); JE in Chicago (2); Just an Engineer (1); JWthetech (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (5); SWB123 (1); WAWAUS (1); zedex_niner (1)

Previous in Forum: Gravitational Waves Detected   Next in Forum: Can the Chinese Build a Hospital in 10 Days?

Advertisement