Previous in Forum: Virus Spread Simulation   Next in Forum: French Researcher Posts Successful COVID-19 Drug Trial
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Engineering at Home?

03/18/2020 11:46 AM

How many in the CR4 community are holed up at home because of the pandemic? How effectively can you do your job?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 80

Re: Engineering at Home?

03/18/2020 12:25 PM

Hush, being an admin, maybe you can help me. I haven't received the Daily Digest since Sunday, also didn't get it Friday, and for a month or so prior wasn't getting new comment notifications even though I have it set for them in my profile. (and the subscribe button is checked in the reply screen (Yes, email me as new comments are added )) I even sent in an inquiry regarding the new comment stuff and hadn't received a reply.

Can you help?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410

03/18/2020 12:44 PM

With prior to projects starts, phone conferences calls, emails is usually would be no change.
it’s just that face to face, there’s always that comfort feeling.

when I an engineering manager, it seems when one person got the flu, it would go through the whole department.

I encouraged people to take a sick day, just to keep it contained.

i had an engineer that came in with pink eye once, that really pissed me off. Especially when he said it’s no longer contagious...

I told him to go home, and then I disinfected his phone, and anything he came in contact with.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #1

03/18/2020 2:21 PM

I will DM you.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

03/18/2020 2:33 PM

Working on government contracts usually entails CLASSIFIED data/information, so that kinda "limits" what can be 'home-studied.'

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #4

03/18/2020 5:16 PM

Even unclassified information/work can be sensitive enough that one might not be allowed to work from home even if using an encrypted company laptop through a VPN.

Register to Reply
Guru

03/18/2020 5:20 PM

Here in Maryland, my company is encouraging employees who are able to remain productive to work from home but only using company IT assets. Otherwise, the company is directing social distancing at work (6 ft.), limit or eliminate meetings, surface cleanings, etc. The four-person cafeteria tables are all six feet apart now.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

03/18/2020 5:52 PM

well, you could use a private server stored in a bathroom closet in a mom and pop service provider store some where in Colorado.

ADMIN note: Post redacted

This reply has been revised to eliminate political comments.

In reply to #7

03/18/2020 6:13 PM

Yeah . . . .

. . . and we may not have heard the end of that. With any sort of luck. Do they make blaze orange pant suits?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #8

03/18/2020 6:22 PM

They’re not just for hunting....

03/18/2020 10:57 PM

Working for a multi-national company, we're used to distance communication.

The only issue seems to be having enough VPN resource which is being addressed.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

03/18/2020 10:59 PM

Yep,... the traffic will be overloaded,... especially if your using VPN on any offsite automation.

03/18/2020 11:36 PM

I started working from home recently and it will last until I am called back. It is not as convenient as being in the office but still effective. I worked remotely for a month earlier this year while doing some travelling and it was no problem. A high level of encryption is required when working on sensitive subject matter. Companies need procedures for wiping company equipment if something goes wrong. Keep safe all.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243

03/18/2020 11:42 PM

I've done most of my design and calculations, and a fair amount of machining of parts at home for quite a few years, and so for me, it's not that much of a change to stay home.

Add to that the fact that I'll be 80 later this year, and so I have been trying to wean the company from my services for a number of years. This set of circumstances just made the weaning almost complete, So my example is hardly typical...

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

03/19/2020 1:36 AM

In my last pre-retirement job, I once was out for about a week due to an injury. There were other people to do on-site stuff, so I worked at home on CAD drawings. In some ways, this was even more efficient than being in the plant.

So yes, it is possible to be effective in circumstances such as we are now facing.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

03/19/2020 3:57 AM

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #15

03/19/2020 5:09 AM

So true

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #15

03/19/2020 6:06 AM

That is hilarious. I am stealing that. :-D

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #13

03/19/2020 7:44 AM

I’ve similarly done it also,... didn’t have to, but I hate having loose ends to do the next day, at least the first 25 years of my career. mostly loved doing it.

now,... probably because of maybe gained experience, or o long have the stamina of a 25, 35 or even 45 year old...... now it’s more like what I don’t do today,... I’ll do it tomorrow.

Good Answers: 45

03/19/2020 8:05 AM

I've worked from home for years. There are many 'technical' problems, that as engineers, can easily be sorted out. But there are others, which are 'commercial' - like house insurance insurance - planning permission - local rate and taxes - capital gains tax, etc, - all to do with 'business use'.... a clever ploy to make you pay a lot more for nothing in return.

That aside, the actual problem was one of discipline to a work ethic. It was so easy to stay in the office late into the day (or to take time off being called out to deal with domestic trivia).

I found it best to have a totally separate room (assuming you have got one!) so that psychologically you go to work each day - and come home again - and the rest of the family being told not to distract you during 'working hours' - unless an emergency - or a cup of coffee......!

But I was a director of my own family company and could please myself to a great extent....popping into the factory when required to deal with 'shop-floor' issues.

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1034
In reply to #6

03/19/2020 11:58 AM

Limiting meetings should increase productivity, in my experience...

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #20

03/19/2020 1:20 PM

At least for the real work. But how do you go over action item lists, page and line, quad charts, integrated master schedules, milestones, inchstones, earned value management, . . . . . ?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #21

03/20/2020 1:09 PM

Q: "But how do you go over action item lists, page and line, quad charts, integrated master schedules, milestones, inchstones, earned value management...?"

A: Delegate, delegate, delegate!

In reply to #22

03/20/2020 1:15 PM

You mean to send them an invite to the teleconference.

ive been using teleconferences with the Europeans on a weekly basis, and followed up by what was talked about and a agenda (as well as a status update on what was discussed from the prior week) for the next weeks meeting.

delegate is good,... but don’t delegate your job away.

In reply to #22

03/20/2020 4:51 PM

I'm the delagatee.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (2); Brave Sir Robin (5); dkwarner (1); FireAnt (1); GJM (1); horace40 (1); HUSH (1); IanR (1); jesw55 (1); jhowdy (1); phoenix911 (6); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Virus Spread Simulation   Next in Forum: French Researcher Posts Successful COVID-19 Drug Trial

Advertisement