Previous in Forum: 10 Planets or 8 Planets?   Next in Forum: SuitSat is Still Broadcasting
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Did They Just Push an Astronaut out of the ISS?

02/02/2006 9:22 AM

On Friday, an old space suit will be pushed out of the International Space Station (ISS). No, it's not murder...the retired Russian space suit will be loaded with trash, probes and some communications equipment. It's simply SuitSat, the brainchild of a Russian science team led by Sergey Samburov. The idea is to get rid of excess waste from the ISS, while providing "science entertainment". The communications equipment in SuitSat will broadcast greetings in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian and Japanese. In addition to friendly messages, the suit will transmit verbally synthesized information about its temperature, speed and location. The broadcast will last anywhere from a few hours to a week depending on how long the batteries hold out. Eventually SuitSat will be pulled into the Earth's atmosphere and will burn up.

For more information, follow the above link and click the "Listen" icon to hear the full audio report from NPR.

And if you want to track SuitSat throughout its final mission, Check out Suitsat.org.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Flight Path Times

02/03/2006 9:25 AM

Is there a site that gives approximate times for North America reception on 145.990 MHz?

Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #1

Re:Flight Path Times

02/03/2006 10:09 AM

It looks like this site has the information you are looking for:

SuitSat page on AMSAT.org

If you are able to catch the signal, check back with us and let us know what Suitsat says!

- Chris

In reply to #2

Re:Flight Path Times

02/03/2006 1:08 PM

Checking the times it looks like the best opportunity for me will be Saturday afternoon. The duration will be 14 minutes with a maximum elevation of 70 degrees.

Since 440 MHz is pretty directional, the more elevation the better it will be.

I don't have SSTV (Slow Scan T V), so I am limited to voice. If I have time I might throw together a handheld beam antenna, otherwise it is the rubber ducky. ;-)

Let's hope the batteries hold out!

Reply to Forum Thread 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: 10 Planets or 8 Planets?   Next in Forum: SuitSat is Still Broadcasting

Advertisement