Previous in Forum: Concept for Software Program Development   Next in Forum: FT8 for DX Communications with Low Power
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 242

Missing Icons Win 10

10/08/2021 5:06 AM

My first indication of problems with my desktop shortcuts was a change in the shortcut icon images on desktop at boot up,changes which I did not make.

Everything still worked fine so it didn't bother me much.

Later,I noticed my icons for Bluetooth and Airplane mode were missing.

My phone and camera are still connected and able to transmit/receive.etc.but there is no shortcut and the devices menu shows no Bluetooth devices found.

Updated all drivers.

I suspected problem with last update.

Restored to a previous date,still same problem.

On line suggestions do not work.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for constructive suggestions.

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Guru

Good Answers: 134

Re: Missing Icons Win 1

10/08/2021 6:51 AM

I have been very annoyed since my last update. You left out some details that are important for comparison. I have a Samsung S20 FE Android and my updates come from AT&T.

In the years that I have had cell phones I never noticed them seem to turn themselves on. Around the time of my last update this annoyance is now common. After spending time studying what used to "just work" I have a theory for my phone. It seems that if I promptly turn off my phone after a call it will turn itself back on. This is a problem because my phone is normally in a case on my belt. As I move around the touch screen in contact with the inside of the case has gone through numerous rounds of opening apps, closing apps, starting downloads of new apps and starting the registration process in software that I never wanted to register or provide any interaction with.

It now seems to be necessary to wait about 3 seconds after completing a call to turn the phone off. Turning the phone off (single, quick press of the "off" button) immediately after a call allows the phone to turn itself back on.

Another annoyance (seems new to me) is what happens when the screen times-out. In the past I remember the phone switching to the same "off" state as when the button on the side gets a quick, single push. Now the phone goes to an off state with a very dim time displayed on the screen. This seems to be a state where the accelerometers are looking for some sort of a "I want to turn my phone on" motion. Thus, as I go through my day with the phone on my belt the phone turns itself on, downloads apps, places calls, etc.

It would be nice if after an item is purchased the consumer could force the vendor to not fix things that are not broken. This is in addition to them "enhancing my experience" when I don't want my experience enhanced. I'm sure "big tech" tracks my GPS and possibly monitors my microphone based upon some legal language buried somewhere that basically says that if I want my phone to work at all I have to be the victim of whatever privacy invasion that their team of lawyers calls "enhancement". I wonder if this 3 second delay in being able to successfully turn off your phone is tied to some legal language somewhere that gives "big tech" more freedom if the phone is "more on".

Good Answers: 275

10/08/2021 6:52 AM

I think you need to give more context.

Is the problem with a phone or a PC?

"Win 1" ? is that some kind of Microsoft operating system for a mobile phone?

In reply to #2

10/08/2021 8:33 AM

OOPS! A misprint ...WINDOWS 10.

Sometimes things get lost in the Bifocal Zone.

The problem is with the desktop.

Desktop is a Dell Optiplex running Windows 10.

No icons in the action center for Bluetooth,no Bluetooth devices found in Devices Menu,no Airplane Icon either.

Good Answers: 1683
In reply to #3

10/08/2021 10:16 AM

Have you tied clicking the ∧ in the tray? That shows the hidden icons....

In reply to #4

10/08/2021 11:37 AM

...............................................∧

In reply to #4

10/08/2021 11:46 AM

YES.

In reply to #6

10/08/2021 12:00 PM

The good thing about win10 is that it fixes itself....just allow auto updates

In reply to #7

10/08/2021 2:18 PM

In reply to #7

10/08/2021 5:22 PM

The problem is when I go to Start > Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices there is no option to turn on Bluetooth.

Also no Bluetooth icon in the Action center,and yes,I expanded it to show hidden ones.

It used to be there until recently.

In reply to #7

10/08/2021 5:23 PM

All updates are up to date.

In reply to #10

10/09/2021 2:50 AM

I would give it a few days to fix itself, which I have found it usually does...

Good Answers: 4

Re: Missing Icons Win 10

10/09/2021 6:46 PM

I would suggest putting all the latest DELL hardware drivers back in. Some problems can be avoided by NOT letting windows update hardware drivers. Check with motherboard manufacturer for hardware drivers. Especially with older units.

This has resolved problems many times on a variety of boards.

You can always save your data, and clean install.

In reply to #12

10/13/2021 6:21 PM

All Dell Drivers were installed as one of the first things I tried,as was a roll back to a previous update of Windows 10.

I went back two updates just to make sure.Problem remains.

I do remember installing an Android emulator for Win 10 desktop that did not work out,so I uninstalled it,but the icons were there afterwards,so I don't think that was the cause.

Still looking for a way to restore the icons.

The curious thing is that my phone can still send images to my desktop,so the application is still there.

Good Answers: 4

10/14/2021 1:16 AM

Can you see the rogue app in the task manager startup tab? High lite and disable. Properties will show location for further deletion.

If not listed, are you familiar with Glary Utilities?

Good Answers: 275
In reply to #13

10/14/2021 4:56 AM

I might be trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs here, and, I might be wrong.

But Can you just do a search for the Bluetooth dll (You can see I'm on AMD so it might not be the same as here). Choose the big one, then Right-click-hold and drag to the desktop, and, choose create shortcut here.

Same sort of thing should work for airplane mode.

Good Answers: 86

10/14/2021 4:17 PM

The main issue is that Windows user has acces to less than one percent of actual, hard core OS environment settings on user interface. The rest are cryptically and undocumentally (?) stored in registry. Some fluke in registry manipulation at update is probably all your problem. But don't expect to find it yourself. Forget about drivers etc. It may get resolved by "itself", yet It's not a bad idea to make a clean install once in a while. I use to keep all programs, drivers etc in one place to make install easier. But I'd do a few FULL reboots first, including mains cut-off to make sure. Wake from hibernation or sleep for example, is not a full reboot. And can lead to analogous to soft "race" and other conditions that need more than one boots to resolve. S.M.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); Haymaker (2); HiTekRedNek (5); Randall (2); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (5)

Previous in Forum: Concept for Software Program Development   Next in Forum: FT8 for DX Communications with Low Power

Advertisement