Close
Close
Close
40 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 134

Teflon Tape Alternative for Corrosion Prevention in Garden Hose Couplings

11/18/2021 1:40 PM

I have had many garden hoses or spray heads thrown away needlessly because one item went bad and all the other items were permanently connected together by corrosion. I tend to have trouble when I use teflon tape to join hoses or attach the spray head. The teflon tape is slippery enough that as the hose is moved around the couplings start to unscrew. All hoses have a "hury sensor" in them and they will unscrew and spray you whenever they sense that you are in a hurry and do not have time to change clothes.

I often have two hoses connected together with a spray head on the end. I don't want to throw it all away if one item goes bad and I don't want to get wet whenever the teflon tape lubricated couplings come apart. I can not use any of the (wonderful in my opinion) pipe dope compounds with the teflon fibers because they are "wet" and I will have a big sand ball whenever they are taken apart and dropped in the sand (Don't bother suggesting we don't take them apart and drop them in the sand. That is not a fruitful discussion). I am also uneasy about the risk of liquid or paste pipe dope compounds (excess) going through the hose and clogging the spray head.

Any suggestions?

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1681

Re: Teflon tape alternative for corrosion prevention in garden hose couplings

11/18/2021 2:03 PM

For me garden hoses are a throwaway commodity, they are not built to last anymore...I use a 10' heavy duty hose from both ends of an expandable hose to prolong the life of the expandable hoses because they always seem to fail at the connection from stress...I don't use any connection lube, just make sure you have a good washer...another strategy is if you use water in a particular location on a regular basis and that location is some distance away, that you install a "Y" connection and run PVC underground to that location from the "Y" connection and add a hose bib at that location, then you can get by with a short hose...never leave a hose outdoors exposed to the sun....never leave a hose pressurized, turn off the spigot and relieve the pressure....

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 405

11/18/2021 2:07 PM

These hoses are expensive. And worth it.

https://www.waterrightinc.com/

We use them with our RV. Quality chrome-plated solid brass fittings. I like the small diameter 400 Series hose because it stores much easier than a 5/8 or 3/4 hose and it supplies plenty of water for RV use. Not suitable for firefighting or filling your pool . . . .

They do offer larger diameter hoses as well for home and 'firefighting' use when you want higher flow rates.

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #2

11/18/2021 2:26 PM

I'll try one on my next hose purchase, I'm stocked up right now....I like the expandable hoses because they don't require much effort to use...

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

11/18/2021 3:32 PM

If a connection has a rubber washer, no teflon should be necessary, the washer makes the water-tight connection. The metal parts should not corrode. If so, you are buying the wrong parts. The expandable hoses are handy, but do not last. A good quality hose, (buy as large as possible), with quality (brass) connections should last a very long time. Keep pliers handy, it may take two to un-do hoses sometimes. If you use the pliers to tighten the hoses, they probably won't come undone while moving them around.

In reply to #4

11/18/2021 4:48 PM

Teflon tape is not being used as a water seal. Teflon tape is being used to keep parts from corroding together. High end hoses hopefully won't have threads corrode together. In coastal Florida we seem to have all Home Depot and/or Lowes hoses corrode together and corrode to the spray head. If using two hoses and one spray head then if any one item goes bad you throw away all three. Corrosion also prevents reconfiguration.

In reply to #5

11/18/2021 6:02 PM

Man, you've got some really mean water! No problem like that here in Tennessee, and we use city water! Get two pair of Channel-Lock pliers and your troubles are over.

In reply to #5

11/18/2021 6:30 PM

You might try soaking them in white vinegar to dissolve the deposits...

..." Vinegar and baking soda can also be combined to make a paste for scrubbing calcium deposits."...

...and you might try cu-al paste as a preventative measure....or this stuff...

Good Answers: 279
In reply to #7

11/18/2021 9:51 PM

"...Vinegar and baking soda can also be combined to make a paste..."

A paste? More accurately a foam.

How should aqueous sodium acetate help to scrub hard water deposits on hose fittings?

In reply to #9

11/19/2021 1:21 AM

"Baking soda and vinegar are two of the most useful household products that can be used to clean many things, including hard water stains in the toilet.Sep 17, 2020"

https://www.thespruce.com/hard-water-stains-in-the-toilet-2719033

In reply to #7

11/19/2021 4:14 AM

I'll look into it. I have been trying to avoid liquids or pastes due to the problem of sand if ever disassembled (and they will be). It burns me to be throwing away the expensive sprayer heads just because a hose went bad. During usage the head is pulled back and forth, up and down dragging the hose behind it. Teflon tape prevents corrosion but the hose and head just won't stay together.

Thanks.

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #13

11/24/2021 5:59 AM

Replacement hose end fittings are available.Simply cut off the bad fitting and install a new one.Use plastic fittings except at the faucet,where there is a lot of stress on the hose.Make sure you use a good silicon washer,and a thin coating of Vaseline at the metal faucet will prevent seizing.

In reply to #7

11/19/2021 4:34 AM

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

In reply to #7

11/19/2021 5:01 AM

I never heard of Cu-Al paste. That is good to know about for a variety of reasons.

After the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire I thought aluminum wiring was gone. Wikipedia doesn't seem to list it but over the years many people have told me that the fire was caused by aluminum wiring.

In reply to #17

11/19/2021 10:55 AM

Yes both aluminum and copper wire can cause fire when connections are loose, or corroded, or overloaded....check your mains and breakers for overheating with an IR gun as a regular maintenance procedure....

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #7

11/20/2021 7:16 PM

Oxguard is nasty poisonous stuff. I use it for my wiring to Al but It's a good idea to wash up afterward.

I use Great White pipe dope and brass fittings on my commercial grade hoses with no trouble at all and the Great White is nontoxic and approved for use on potable plumbing fixtures as well as gas.

It is soft set and has teflon in it too.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1003

11/18/2021 7:34 PM

I've never noticed corrosion on the spigot or hose. Maybe what you're seeing is galvanic corrosion.

If the hose fitting and spigot are made of different metals, what you have is a shorted out battery. This would be exacerbated if your water is somewhat brackish, which is more conductive than non-brackish water.

https://beplumbsmart.com/what-is-galvanic-corrosion/

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1003
In reply to #8

11/18/2021 9:55 PM

<Bad link in previous post>

From: https://beplumbsmart.com/what-is-galvanic-corrosion/

"The most common type of corrosion encountered by us plumbers is called galvanic corrosion. Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process that occurs when two dissimilar metals come into electric contact with each other, and the results aren’t pretty. Ever had a hose that just wouldn’t come loose, even with a wrench?* You were probably dealing with the results of galvanic corrosion.

Some garden hoses are produced with aluminum fittings at each end. On the surface, this seems like a great idea–aluminum doesn’t rust, so it should last forever! But remember, rust is only one of the types of corrosion that can destroy metals, and thereby parts of your plumbing system. Hose bibbs (faucets) are generally made from brass, which is safe to use in contact with copper because it itself is an alloy of copper and zinc and is therefore not dissimilar. You can buy a garden hose with brass or even plastic connections and do just fine, but beware of aluminum!

A Bad Combination Leads to Galvanic Corrosion

When you put an aluminum hose connection on a brass bibb, you create a reaction: galvanic corrosion. Neither one of these metals will corrode on its own in contact with water, but when they’re put together, you’re in trouble. The aluminum acts as an anode, and the brass acts as a cathode; this creates an electron flow every time the two metals are in contact with an electrolyte–or every time you run water through your hose. The aluminum will start to literally dissolve, and wherever it’s in direct contact with brass, it will reform itself and fuse to the other metal. Just like that, your hose is stuck–and, if undealt with, it will eventually start to further melt away and leave you with a hose that leaks like a sieve and still won’t come loose.

The moral of the story? Don’t put dissimilar metals in contact with each other–especially not in the presence of water! If you’re in the market for a new hose, make sure you buy one with brass connections at each end–and check the metal on your sprayer, too! If you already have a hose with aluminum fittings, throw it away. And if you can’t get it loose to throw it away, give us a call.

*It does seem like the logical solution to this problem would be to use a wrench, but don’t do it. Outdoor hose faucets may sometimes seem to be solid as a rock, but the fact of the matter is it’s still being held in place mainly by the (relatively soft) copper pipe it’s attached to–and you might as well put that wrench right on the pipe and crank it for all the good it’ll do you."

https://beplumbsmart.com/what-is-galvanic-corrosion/

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #10

11/19/2021 4:30 AM

I should have been more specific. It is galvanic corrosion. I don't have fuzz-balls growing on the hose connectors. I just have the items "welding" themselves to their mating item. I can take huge water pump pliers (channel locks) and twist until I start breaking things. The parts just don't come apart.

I don't recall this being true in the past but now when you shop HD/Lowes for a "good buy" on a hose and sprayer head and then a few weeks later go back for another "good buy" on more hose you will often end up with a mixture of brass, aluminum and mystery metal.

I guess there is a lesson to learn here. At $12 -$18 for a sprayer head and $30+ for a hose I don't really feel like being "upsold" to a better investment. There is a problem to deal with. I don't think HD/Lowes can be a consistent source for items if you want brass-only sprayer heads of the type my wife uses and brass-only ends on hoses. Thus, I am trying to make peace with HD/Lowes items.

In reply to #14

11/19/2021 11:02 AM

Plastic sprayers are the best, easiest to take on and off...I used to have the same problem...a case where the cheapest is the best, haha...

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #10

11/20/2021 7:22 PM

I have a couple of hoses with aluminum fittings and those are the ones that get stuck! I prefer brass. I use one of the hoses (G-force) as a feed for my wet cut diamond saw as it stows well in the bag with the saw and can be easily drained prior to putting it away.

The other is use on the patio and it s@cks to work with if I have to disconnect it! But it too stows away well and the boss likes it.

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 48

11/19/2021 3:05 AM

Is there a problem in your neck of the woods with getting plastic clicklock hose fittings? They are available everywhere this side of the pond and some are even directional to stop water being sent back into the supply line.

Metal hose fittings from my experience have some interchangeability problems with slightly different threads, imperial BSP or Metric, luckily no NPT much here. Besides that the metal hose fittings are 5 to 10 times the price of the plastic alternatives.

If I need to use a brass barb fitting into an alloy sprayer then I use Loctite 567 sealing compound, a white paste which should be used sparingly. It hangs on and prevents corrosion and can be undone and redone several times before needing another application.

Still here we have no town water, a close cousin of glyphosate for plants and caustic for car paint and window glass, and rely on dam water or rain water for all our watering. Bore water is a slightly less or more toxic equivalent of brackish water so that is out.

In reply to #12

11/19/2021 4:33 AM

I'll Google a "plastic clicklock hose fitting". I don't know if we have them by different names or if they are only sold on your side of the pond.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #15

11/19/2021 9:41 AM

Careful with the plastic quick couples.
My kids like to "throw" the hose down and I've snapped quite a few. (And that is a HUGE hurry sensor issue.)
I spent some money and upgraded to metal ones I found on Amazon.
Prior to the quick connects, my hoses just kept getting smaller. I'd cut off the corroded ends and replace with a "repair" kit.
With the quick connects, I can keep a spare hose lying around waiting for a quick change. Then, fix connection later when I really have time.
Next time I upgrade them, I'll find ones that have shut offs or don't allow water if not connected to something.
By the way, I live in an area that even Culligan won't attempt putting in a water softening system. I'm used to replacing plumbing regularly due to the mineral deposits.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

11/20/2021 3:31 AM

I keep a tin of the fittings and when they break it is just a matter of replacing the broken bit and at the price it is no deal breaker. The metal ones here often are not interchangeable between brands so I gave up on the brass ones even on the pressure washer supply line.

The neck sizes vary as do the position of the snap ring or groove which means they appear to hold until the water is turned on but only decouple when you are in a hurry in your best clothes, never when you are wearing a raincoat.

In reply to #15

11/20/2021 3:26 AM

Hi Bruce, this is what I mean by click lock, they go under many different name for the same device the same thing.

Good Answers: 275
In reply to #12

11/19/2021 5:21 AM

Phew, I was beginning to think I was on another planet. Over here Hozelock is the brand leader:

But I got better mileage from a lookalike set from Poundland (about $1.4).

Here's a selection from the range:-

In reply to #18

11/20/2021 2:34 PM

I've tried those quick connect fittings and they always leak like a sieve...

In reply to #28

11/20/2021 3:45 PM

Must be poorer quality over there as even the cheap shop ones here work without leaking and the O rings can be bought by the packets of 10.

Always leave them connected as the UV rots the O rings.

In reply to #18

11/20/2021 3:48 PM

Hi Randall, Hozelock is available here as well but do I really need the RR of hose fittings. The cheap knockoffs work just fine for us.

11/20/2021 12:20 AM

Teflon tape on its own will not jam the threads. I always use some hemp with teflon tape over the top. Teflon keeps it neat and sealed until the hemp swells up to keep it tight.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

11/20/2021 5:33 AM

I usually think of hemp as a fiber product like rope. What form of hemp are you using on threads?

In reply to #25

11/20/2021 2:20 PM

Probably something like this...

In reply to #25

11/23/2021 11:56 PM

That is correct. Plumbers hemp.

Plumbers normally wrap hemp on the pipe threads then apply graphite Grease over the hemp so it will come undone and help seal. The Hemp expands when it gets wet to keep the joint sealed

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

11/24/2021 3:22 PM

I've been plumbing all my working life, never seen any thing like hemp, or graphite used on plumbing threads. Yes, it's probably used in packing for boat drive shafts, valve stems, and such rotating joints. For threads it was pipe dope, whatever that's made of, a glue-like substance that was hell to undo, and then teflon tape and paste. I've also used gasket cement, that was the stuff difficult to undo.

Good Answers: 2

11/20/2021 10:15 AM

Another problem with cheap brass fittings is that some manufacturers use free machining brass which contains a fair amount of zinc. Water supplies that are alkaline or acidic can "leach" the zinc out of the fitting and you end up with a brittle porous copper fitting. See this on fittings used around waste water treatment plants.

Aluminum and brass make a 1.0 VDC battery, some of the Junior Scientist books show the kids how to make a battery using brass strips and aluminum foil along with a little lemon juice to make a crude battery. Aluminum and Stainless Steel make a weak battery, if the Stainless is passivated, the aluminum takes a beating, if the stainless is not passivated, it rusts.

The option on the garden hose is to make sure the brass coupling is not plated or have a plastic coating.

Login to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

11/21/2021 10:58 PM

I think the problem is that the EPA is trying to to get all lead out of plumbing parts. No telling how many people have died from drinking from a hose!

Anyway, I just smear waterproof grease on the threads and they seem to come apart fairly easily. Just last weekend, my wife brought me a couple of hoses that she didn't grease before assembly and I was able to finally get them apart by spraying with Fluid Film, letting them soak for 30 minutes, then using a pair of 24" pipe wrenches on them. I thought the fittings were going to break, but they actually came apart. Don't know if they can be put back together or not.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

11/22/2021 2:24 PM

Not only did I drink from garden hoses, I would clinch the lead shot onto my fishing lines using my teeth.

Probably explains a lot . . . .

. . . but I'm not dead yet.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 275
In reply to #34

11/23/2021 5:09 AM

I'm not worried about the split shot I clinched onto fishing line with my teeth, but, I hate to think how much lead shot I've swallowed in pigeons and rabbits shot by my Dad.

In reply to #35

11/23/2021 3:46 PM

" . . . that too shall pass."

Login to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #33

11/24/2021 1:12 AM

We don't need lead in plumbing now although the word "plumbing" comes from the Roman word for the metal, plumbum. (The English word lead is AngloSaxon.) It is good if EPA is trying to eliminate it, as we can now use plastics (which are all nontoxic, despite popular myth-information) and other metals. I doubt if many people died from lead in garden hose fittings, as it is insoluble in neutral or alkaline water, and is a cumulative agent that retards mental development. I'm more worried about the bacteria in the garden. There is a debatable legend that the Roman Empire collapsed because only the rich ruling class had lead-piped water in their homes, and their offspring became more and more retarded. It doesn't quite work that way.

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 40 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3mily (1); Al-mentor (1); Brave Sir Robin (3); BruceFlorida (7); Deefburger (2); Griffex (1); HiTekRedNek (1); Linz27 (2); mike k (3); Randall (2); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (8); Stef (5); steve45 (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Recycling plastic   Next in Forum: How Electricity Works

Advertisement