Previous in Forum: DIGITAL ELECTRONIC ENERGY METER   Next in Forum: Battery back-up
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 3: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73

What do you think is the average age of an active registered CR4 user?

06/28/2008 1:20 PM

My impression of the active CR4 user is someone who enjoys thinking, learning, and being challenged. Pretty much an unselfish lot, willing to share their knowledge, just for the asking.

I come to CR4 for many reasons, and it sure beats watching mindless TV.

I'm 54, and anecdotal evidence suggests that I'm probably at the top of the bell curve.

So the question is, why do you enjoy CR4, and what do you think the average age is here, and why.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: What do you think is the average age of an active registered CR4 user?

06/28/2008 1:31 PM

Good question. I enjoy CR4 because it stimulates my little gray cell (yes, singular) and causes me to research stuff and work problems, all without getting belittled for being dumb and slow. Plus, I enjoy hearing from some of the people. There's Cnpower to tell me about China, Hen to tell me about S. Africa, Del to tell me about perverted cats, and so on. I learn a lot about India and their industrial development, and I get good challenges from people like Steve S. And, I get really good laughs from folks like PW, Sparkie, and Vermin.

And, oh, I'm 39.

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #1

06/29/2008 2:40 PM

Challenge? Moi? I am sure I have no idea what you are talking about!

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

06/28/2008 1:54 PM

Allowing for the 9 lives and averaging stuff out with sticktactics an smuch and allowing for long life light bulbs. I reckon we're all at least 83 in hooman years, but that's only blompty fine in Cat years.

But seriously I rackoon that more than half of us are over the average age.

Ok If I have to guess.... 58.5327865491

Del

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Sol solar system, Earth (not Giaha), USA, WA, N.E.
Good Answers: 13

06/28/2008 2:10 PM

Hi Bricktop,

I too have cogitated the matter and concluded that although there appear to be people of quite a range of ages on these pages (couldn't help the alliteration), it seems the majority of frequent contributors is over 40 or there abouts. Some I think are even in their 70s and there might be one or two around 80.

As for me; I am 58 and disabled which gives me way too much time on this computer.

I am really glad to have found this site, however. I find stimulating, thought provoking conversation, a good laugh now and then and even a bit of consternation at times. This is just what the doctor ordered to keep my grey cell going.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

06/28/2008 2:26 PM

I'd say the average age is fiftyish. I'm 53

Ditto to your impression of the CR4 user.

Oh yes by the picture you present us as your avatar you have aged well.

United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

In reply to #4

06/28/2008 3:29 PM

The avatar is my grandson, age 3. I also have a picture of him on my desk, ( with the angelic look, not the maniacal ).

Elders say spittin' image.

I spend a lot of time with this kid. He has blessed me with the ability to see the world through new eyes.

His photo reminds me to never say anything that I wouldn't say in front of him.

The avatar is how I perceive myself on the inside.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #7

06/29/2008 1:39 AM

I fully agree that few things in life inspire you as much as small kid! You are constantly reminded how angelically innocent children are compared to the grown ups with mind so much of prejudices!

Incidentally Avatar is a Sanskrit name which is normally familiar only to people from Indian sub continent. Avatar, quite a sweet name, means incarnation. Do you have some link with India?

I am biologically 67 yrs mentally much younger thanks to stimulating forums like CR 4!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182

06/28/2008 2:36 PM

Not the number of years does count but the mental age.

From this point of view I think ALL Cr4 participants are very very young since they still want to learn more about every thing, their curiosity and interest are not yet worn.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/28/2008 3:17 PM

Ah! Mental age ?

Easy...

8 going on 16

In reply to #6

07/01/2008 6:28 AM

I've resorted to telling people my IQ is 81 + 58i. I have a very complex neuron.

In reply to #68

07/01/2008 5:55 PM

I think the 58i is just in your imagination...

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #68

07/02/2008 1:37 PM

My IQ is a little bit higher, but in my case, it is totally imaginary... in fact I fear that I may be a figment of my own imagination.

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 88
In reply to #68

07/02/2008 10:07 PM

Looking at this another way, 99.6 /_ 35.6° tells me you're a bit out-of-step with Joe Average (Joe is 100/_0°, by definition), which is a Good Thing (the more the merrier), but 99.6 is slightly below Joe's, which is a Bad Thing .

Personally, I don't believe it. Anybody who'd post his/her IQ in complex form to an engineering forum ain't a Joe Average.

But I would try a different A+iB. (Hint: don't ask your wife/S.O.)

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #5

06/28/2008 5:58 PM

I agree. CR4 is a great stimulus to keep us young. I'm 66 in biological yrs, but I am able to keep up with my 15 yr old grandson on electronics tech matters, which is no easy feat as the youngsters are pretty technically saavy these days.

06/28/2008 11:36 PM

From my thread "Psycology of Engineers" I did a survey and as part of the demographic background received the following results in regards to the age of CR4 respondants:

As you can see, at age 50 you are indeed at the top of the bell curve.

Register to Reply
Commentator
United States - Member - Northen Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #9

06/29/2008 1:49 AM

This new evidence means I have something to look forward to, as I am 39 at present.

But I am looking forward to 90, ever so patiently.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

06/30/2008 12:41 PM

That, sir, is NOT a true bell curve- it is a skewed distribution.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #59

06/30/2008 12:44 PM

Whoops. Failed to log in on that last. Excuse me, please.

Power-User
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Kenya - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #9

03/17/2012 7:14 AM

In my 20s. Feels fine being outside the 90% confidence interval.

Location: South East of Las Vegas just far enough to see the lights but far enough to not hear the coins falling
Good Answers: 8

06/28/2008 11:40 PM

Mr. Top,

1.I enjoy the anticipation of how my input is responded to, and if the initiator is better for my input.

2.I think I am within two years of average Americans 55. I believe the world wide average is 45-50.

3.We (colonials) enter our second child hood in our 50's and we either by a fast car, rent a fast girl (and get caught) or relax enough to ponder the world and all of the amassed information that we have taken in.

OR

This is the only place left to really say what you think and be-damned with anyone that does not aggree...LOL With all do respect your cat highness.

06/29/2008 1:34 AM

Whenever something comes around that interests me, I like reading (and learning) how other people would solve the problem of the initiator. If there is no good answer available, then I'll try and give it a shot. It's interesting to see how the answer is being evaluated, helps keeping me sharp.

As for me, I guess I'm still on the younger side then. I'm 34.

Good Answers: 6

06/29/2008 2:25 AM

The way to hell is paved with averages. Averages generally hide more than they reveal. A statistician once drowned in a lake with an average depth of 1 inch. Bell curves - yes, much more instructive.

If I may suggest an inprovement: Members' ages sub-classified as: Askers, Answerers, Jokers. There is a lot of overlap of course. I suspect that there are more jokers among the answerers compared to their proportion among the askers.

I suspect that I may be the oldest member or at least far to the right (bell curve, not politically).

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #14

07/06/2008 7:08 PM

Hi dovy,

seeing the site split into askers, replies, and jokers sounds fun I think the jokers would also be the replyers/replyees..........? Knowledge gives confidence and, confidence gives time and thought enough to relax and joke around.

babybear

In reply to #14

07/06/2008 7:37 PM

"A statistician once drowned in a lake with an average depth of 1 inch."

86.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

"Askers, Answerers, Jokers..."

to that add the Dark Side:

Puckered-At-Both-Ends (sense of humor surgically removed),

Megalomaniacs ("I'm right by virtue that I said it. By gawd, you'd better agree with me")

Fringe Lunatics (greater-than-unity power generation, perpetual motion machines, New-Age cosmologists (astral-planes, et al), tin-foil hats, etc.)

and Parasites ('Here, let me borrow CR4's collective expertise and do my thinking for me, whilst I get the pay').

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #122

07/06/2008 8:08 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ...

A new list for my wall

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 20

06/29/2008 3:30 AM

I'm 53 so I guess peaking on the bell curve...

Mentally I'm still young and curious...ready to learn all I can about as much as possible.

When it comes to CR4 I can't wait until I get my email (at around 10:45pm (EST) with current topics of discussion and blogs....like a kid with $50 (US) in a candy store without parents in tow....the sky's the limit...

Very entertaining and a good learning experience....and it's fun to contribute when the opportunity arises with my limited knowledge and really bad typing skills (thank God for spell checker)....LOL

Beats the H*ll out of most other forums I've engaged in cyber space.....

A big CHEERS to all involved here...

Good Answers: 11

06/29/2008 3:32 AM

Depressing to learn that I am just another average 53 year old chariot builder. What unites is the willingness to learn, and isn't it instructive that willingness to learn increases as distance from school age increases.

This supports my theory that schools should stream pupils, not on ability, but on enthusiasm for learning. This would remove almost all the social/financial imbalance and inequality because while you can coach kids through exams, you can't coach enthusiasm or buy it. And anyone who can fake enthusiasm for learning through their school days, will come out educated.

Another defining characteristic of CR4 is the tendency to wander off topic but I'm sure a cat related comment will bring everything back to normal.

Simon

ps do we fall off the top of the bell curve or are we pushed?

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #16

06/29/2008 11:57 AM

Hi saddlechariot,

ps do we fall off the top of the bell curve or are we pushed?

I think, as I am picking up quite a bit of speed down the right hand side of that bell curve.......................that one foot is in the gutter, the other is on a banana skin and you are being pushed by a truck............and you just can't apply those brakes.

However this forum is........."just what the doctor ordered".............and above all don't loose your sense of humour!!!!!!! (By the way that IS the correct spelling!!!)

Location: 850 metres in the mountains NE of Málaga - paradise

06/29/2008 3:42 AM

Bricktop

So age (whether just the perception of it in our self-congratulatory minds , or in the chronological sense) may be inversely proportional to the amount of time one spends on CR4.

Mmmm, a flaw: I don't think CR4 et al were around in 1964 when Dylan wrote My Back Pages but I guess the principle still applies:

Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin' high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
"We'll meet on edges, soon," said I
Proud 'neath heated brow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now

Every time I wile away the pleasant hours on CR4 I realise how little I know.

At this rate (equating decreasing age with increasing knowledge) I'll be losing all my teeth and crawling on the floor again...

(Sounds like a typical Friday night for many a young British male - perhaps they are fans of CR4 too.)

BTW For your statistics, Bricktop, tengo cuarenta y siete años (47) - learning a foreign language is also a very useful way of keeping the pencil sharp (if you're interested in engineering discussions in Spanish, I can heartily recommend the brilliantly responsive Spanish forum WordReferenceForum). Of course, you'd have to be certifiably mad to do so.

Hasta luego

Joe

PS Coming strictly from the Arts (Degree in Philosophy/English and English Teacher & writer for years) it is refreshing for me as a new-comer to CR4 to have been inspired to get stuff in my head like 1 amp = 6.24x1018 electrons moving through a wired electrical circuit in a second. Thanks to CR4 I am at last being able to stop my best mate (a Physicist) from yawning every time I talk to him.) Not helping you lot, though.

06/29/2008 5:16 AM

A great question and observation.

For me, CR4 is a sandbox to play ... with gemstones hidden here and there to make it worth the digging ... and a good chance to plant a few gems myself.

For me, CR4 is a worthy diversion from the daily routine (not that any day seems to be very routine lately). It inspires me to see other questions and answers in fields other than the one that chose me (now THERE'S a question: How many are actually pursuing the career they thought they would be pursuing earlier in life?), and it inspires me to think ... hmmm ... larger.

To those who created CR4 and support its operation, a heartfelt "thanks", and to all who contribute, a greater 'thanks' for making my life a little 'better', a little more 'challenging', and a good cause to laugh now and then.

Oh, yea, age ... hmmmm ... 2008 minus 1952 equals ... errr ... aaa ... 25!!!!!

In reply to #18

06/29/2008 5:55 AM

DCaD,

I love your math. Maybe I can use that and quit repeating my 39th birthday over and over and..

In reply to #18

06/29/2008 6:29 AM

Nice observations and nice additional question, DCaD:

"How many are actually pursuing the career they thought they would be pursuing earlier in life?"

When I was 16 I wanted to be a Philosophy Professor at Oxbridge and spend my life being paid (very little but enough) to ponder on all the questions in life that my pea brain could manage.

Got the degree but then wandered around the world of non-university education and then commerce.

It's only now at the tender age of (2008 minus 1961) that I am sort of reaching my goal - but without the professorship or the university or being paid (very little but enough) for it.

The irony is that without the twists and turns between (2008 minus 1977) and 2008, I think that at my age now I would probably have thought I knew more than I did had I not learned during that time that I actually know less than I do.

Save me from this infinite regression - "You're going to wind up where you started from"...thanks Cat.

JB

In reply to #21

06/29/2008 11:25 AM

"How many are actually pursuing the career they thought they would be pursuing earlier in life?"

Good point, perhaps worth a post of it's own.

When I graduated, I would have never believed, in a million years, what I ended up doing.

In reply to #28

06/29/2008 2:30 PM

"I would have never believed, in a million years, what I ended up doing"

I've told you 6.24x1018 not to exagerate...

In reply to #31

06/29/2008 2:38 PM

I am doing exactly what I planned to do when I started thinking about it in the seventh grade...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #32

07/02/2008 11:21 PM

At what biological age, you reached 7th grade?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

06/30/2008 4:37 AM

When I was 16 I wanted to be a Philosophy Professor at Oxbridge ...

At 16 I wanted to be a Gynecologist

Del

In reply to #44

06/30/2008 4:51 AM

door to door breast examiner

In reply to #44

06/30/2008 9:57 AM

I know, but your hands were too big!

In reply to #55

06/30/2008 10:47 AM

And my fingernails too long ouch.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #18

06/30/2008 8:35 AM

<...CR4 is a sandbox to play ... with gemstones hidden here and there to make it worth the digging ... and a good chance to plant a few gems...>

Absolutely.

1958 was a very good year - full of Sputniks and that.

Stuff that was around at the time:

• A fire on an open hearth?
  • 1/4in-wide magnetic audio tape wound on 7-in spools?
  • A crystal set in use as a radio receiver?
  • Bakelite?
  • British coins with other monarchs on the reverse ?
  • The mangle in use as a clothes dryer on wash day (always a Monday)?
  • Maps without Motorways on them (the Preston Bypass - now part of the M6 - was opened in 1958 as the first part of the UK's motorway network)?
  • A thermionic valve?

Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Ah! A subject for a new posting....<wanders off onto an new thread elsewhere>.

In reply to #50

06/30/2008 9:05 AM

Don't forget these

In reply to #52

07/02/2008 11:26 PM

So, your are in shopping mood yet, at this age!

Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #50

06/30/2008 10:49 AM

So is '58 the year you were born, or...

That's the year I graduated from high school.

Now you have me curious: here in the US a mangle was a rotating device for ironing clothes. Your illustration looks like a clothes wringer, for removing the bulk of the water after washing. I had never seen one that was not attached to a washing machine.

Your R-R tape recorder clearly has 10" reels, not 7". 7" and smaller ones had 1/4" hubs.

I made my crystal radios in the late '40s and early '50s. In '58 I scraped together $24 to buy and assemble a two-transistor radio...

Thanks for the memories...

Dick

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #57

07/01/2008 6:11 AM

"Your illustration looks like a clothes wringer, for removing the bulk of the water after washing..."

Yup. My Gran'ma used one, just like the one in the picture, when I was about the same age as the lad pictured. I only got to play with it when she wasn't around, in case I mangled my fingers etc.

BTW, I've had 14 birthdays. (b. 1952).

In reply to #18

07/06/2008 7:50 PM

Hi DCaD,

For me, CR4 is a sandbox to play ... with gemstones hidden here and there to make it worth the digging ... and a good chance to plant a few gems myself.

I like the analogy DCaD!

Oh.............., your math is about as good as mine

I really do like your first paragraph though.

babybear

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31

06/29/2008 6:03 AM

I can't say much more than has been said already! I, like Joe am learning a second language! Español. In my daily life I speak only Spanish and nearly never English! I found I was loosing my ability to talk and express myself in English! You guys help me keep it together so 'A big thanks for that!'

As for my age, and the need to keep the statistics happy, I'm a young 40 at last count who, after stagnating for a few years has once again started to think maybe I'm not that bad after all!

You guys are the dogs bollocks! Keep it up

In reply to #20

07/04/2008 12:24 AM

Hola amigos,

Pues aqui encontre este foro al estar haciendo investigacion acerca de uno de mis proyectos. Desde ese dia encontre un grupo de gente inteligente que disfruta de

colaborar y compartir conocimiento. De cuando en cuando ahora acceso el foro e intento contestar alguna pregunta ... o cuando necesito alguna informacion se que aqui puedo encontrar respuestas....

By the way ... I am 42

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #102

07/04/2008 2:34 AM

Oh may oui, may oui! Un trez jolly foro!

In reply to #20

07/07/2008 10:42 AM

Hi Mr. Truman Brain:

Hope all is well...........I wanted to say "the dogs bollocks" but, thought it was not allowed!

So you are Spanish? I would not have known by your posts. You post perfect 'English'!

babybear

In reply to #136

07/07/2008 11:13 AM

Hello babybear,

It's nice to know my English is still the 'perros huevos'!

To be honest, I am English but very rarely do I get the chance to speak in English! For a number of years, I've been living in a part of Spain well away from the tourism and the modern world! This site is my only link with English speaking friends!

In reply to #139

07/07/2008 11:58 AM

Hello Mr. Truman Brain:

I sort of got the 'wrong end of the stick then?.....

It is nice talking to you anyway. I have been to Spain a couple of times but cannot take the heat of the South, so go towards the Pyrenees, is it? I hope to be going there again soon, maybe next year. I just love the area I went to but can't recall the name. It was on top of a mountain. Looked just like a fairy-land kind of place. It is not near the coast but, you may be able to see the sea and coast detail, I can't recall. Lovely place! It was over 20 years ago I went there, sorry.

Do you have any idea where I am talking about? And where are you in Spain? If you would prefer not to say I will understand. Just wondered.

Take care ok...........

babybear

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #140

07/07/2008 12:11 PM

Hi, babybear,

Mr. TB ain't secretive - you can bung his lat & long (from details under his Avatar) into Google Earth & pin-point him!

In reply to #142

07/07/2008 3:17 PM

Hey John, have you actually checked out Mr. TB's lat/long?

Dick

In reply to #145

07/07/2008 4:29 PM

It's a good place for a picnic Dick!

In reply to #146

07/07/2008 5:58 PM

Sure looks like it! Nice and flat...

BTW - I haven't made it to Spain yet. Our tickets were space available, and they have parked so many planes to save fuel, that there hasn't been any. Now it's gotten too hot; maybe we'll try again in the fall.

Dick

In reply to #145

07/07/2008 6:59 PM

I had this 'orrible deja vu there, having checked out the co-ords ages ago, and wondering how some spot in Dorset related to Southern Spain. It all came flooding back while Google Earth was loading - it's a bum steer! (or possibly some other anatomical feature).

My bad

In reply to #148

07/08/2008 11:05 AM

Type in 36°53'18.33"N 2°23'23.72"W ! It's only about 20km from me! Always liked things like this! Prefer the Cerne Giant or the horse! The Nazka Lines (spelt really badly I know!) just blow me away! If anybody has grid refs for them, It would make my day butler!

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #151

07/08/2008 11:40 AM

Close to me are the
View Larger Map">Long Man of Wilmington (don't know why the link is like this but it works), the figure looks the right way up from the main road, & the
View Larger Map">White Horse of Litlington.

In reply to #153

07/08/2008 11:50 AM

I've seen the horse, but the Long Man is a new one! Thanks Nigh, I'll put them on my Google fly by!

In reply to #151

07/08/2008 9:30 PM

For at least some of the Nazca Lines, try 14° 33'52" S, 75° 10' 24"W. I haven't found the animals... Dick

In reply to #140

07/07/2008 12:55 PM

I lived for about a year in the Pyrenees too! I walked from Barcelona to Perpignan through the mountains! Magnificent! Ended up picking grapes and making wine for Domain Gauby! They were in a place called Calce. From there you could see Mount Canigou (I thing that was how it was spelt!) In the mornings, the sun would shine off it's peak! A wonderful part of the world with some very friendly people! As you say, Southern Spain is a very hot place to live! I live on the Cabo de Gata (SE corner) Every year I vow to move back to the Pyrenees just to shed a few degrees! One day I might just do it!

06/29/2008 8:14 AM

Hi Bric,

I am 67 years young, retire Mechanical & Production Engineer from India. There is no end to learning. This fourm provides vast wealth of knowledge from the experts all around the world.Otherwise consultants would charge you on hourly basis, here it is free service.But if some one wants complete design for the equipment which is quite funny to ask here.

Suresh Sharma.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

06/29/2008 8:38 AM

Whata you mean, 'free'!!! You mean I'm not getting paid for this? Where do I send my invoice?

BUT, for sure, the humor is FREE ... no one would ever pay for OUR jokes

In reply to #23

06/29/2008 8:42 AM

Well, anecdotal evidence suggests that you get exactly what you pay for.

In reply to #24

06/29/2008 9:39 AM

No such thing as a 'free lunch'.

In reply to #23

07/02/2008 10:51 PM

"...no one would ever pay for OUR jokes"

But they MIGHT pay us to stop telling them!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #78

07/03/2008 12:24 AM

Hmmm ...

That's a really good idea

"Did you hear the one about ..."

(I need the money)

Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25

06/29/2008 10:34 AM

Sorry I can just count with my fingers and is too boring. I frequently forget how many times I've counted all fingers.

But I just remember that from the past June 16th I'm a grand father for the first time, so I must be more or less... mmmm... 35 years old!!!!

P.S. Steve's distribution curve seems quite right

In reply to #26

06/29/2008 11:11 AM

CONGRATULATION Kwetz!!! Please tell me, boy or girl.

From a guys viewpoint, grandchildren don't get really fun until about 2 years old, but it's worth the wait. I hope that you will be able to spend much time with this child.

Time spent with my little guy is the most rewarding thing in my life right now. Due to circumstance, I'm the father figure in his life. He and his mother, my daughter, live with me. I love having them here.

My son, after school, moved back in and got a good job in the area. We are a family, and we take good care of each other. I raised my children, ( by myself ), and lucky for me they turned out to be wonderful people.

Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #27

06/30/2008 1:32 PM

Thank you very much.

She's a pretty girl. Unfortunately for me my daughter lives and works in Sevilla (550 km away from Madrid) and I cannot see her everyday. Anyway we have a high speed train that spend just 2,5 hours and I can go on weekends. I agree that children are funniest about 2 years, but I don't mind at all to wait for.

In reply to #26

07/08/2008 12:44 PM

"But I just remember that from the past June 16th I'm a grand father for the first time, so I must be more or less... mmmm... 35 years old!!!!"

35, hmm? Bet your favorite Beach Boys tune is "I Get Around." <teehee>

Register to Reply
Guru

06/29/2008 12:11 PM

Steve's graph looks authentic. I'm on the upper end physically, approaching 68. I commonly am amazed, remembering that when I was a child, a person past his mid 60's was really old. I certainly don't consider myself really old now, and as several others have said, learning new things keeps me young!

Also as several others have said, thanks to Globalspec for sponsoring this forum!

Good Answers: 14

06/29/2008 2:45 PM

at the top of the bell curve

No. The top is at 60...

Location: Sunken Meadow (nee Rattle Snake Swamp) L.I., N.Y., U.S.A.

06/29/2008 5:43 PM

I certainly agree with Bricktop's statement that,"My impression of the active CR4 user is someone who enjoys thinking, learning, and being challenged. Pretty much an unselfish lot, willing to share their knowledge, just for the asking." But I have some additional intuited suspicions. I suspect the active CR4 user is still playing the game, whatever the game happens to be. I further suspect that of the two fundamental human groups - the large group that breaks things, and the small group that fixes things - CR4 users tend to belong to the small group of fixers, or designers of fixes. I personally, at the age of 70, am still fixing almost everything, from computers to boat outdrives to pool pumps to car problems. And, like Bricktop, I enjoy my grandkids, teaching them how to fish, or throw knives, or shoot a BB gun.

The only significant differences I note as I age is that heavy things become even heavier, hand carts and air tools and power tools become more and more useful, and working under comfortable conditions becomes more essential.

Good Answers: 9

06/29/2008 6:14 PM

Well, this is all very interesting. I am not over the hill yet, but I can see a long way from up here!!. I am enjoying my 65th year and attribute much of that enjoyment to this forum.

I am, as the avatar (sans picture) suggests, a Commoner. I do not consider myself to be above anyone else, and that is good because, since I have joined this elite group, I am constantly reminded of how little I really know.

In my chosen filed, I am adequately educated and familiar. It is when I foolishly jump into the realm of another field that I find how little I really know. But that is the beauty of this forum. One can show his ignorance of a subject and be chastized by another as well as be corrected and educated by yet another. It is stimulating and rewarding.

My hat is off to all those who participate and I am humbled by the wealth of knowledge with which I am allowed to participate in my own small way. Thank each and every one of you.

Good Answers: 1

06/29/2008 7:03 PM

I personally read CR4 to learn from others who are working in, or experts in, other fields than my own. I would guess that the average age of participants is in the mid-thirties. There are probably a lot of newly degreed people out there, or young inexperienced people who are stuck with a problem and turn here for help. The 15 % or so of the participants mid-50 and over brings the average age up to mid-30s. Just a guess.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

06/29/2008 8:39 PM

Blond female and big breasts? oops wrong forum.

I am 37 by the way, and the age of cr4 users? looking at comments and replies they are from young engineers to retired ones so the whole scope i guess.

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51

06/29/2008 9:24 PM

I'm here for much the same reasons as the others. I'm 46 right now but I'll be adding another year in a few months.

A few months after joining, I came to the conclusion that most of the members were retirees or nearing retirement. This was because they seemed to be racking up posts faster than the Enterprise can travel across the galaxy . Ergo, they had more time to visit CR4 than most.

DCaD's question of "How many are actually pursuing the career they thought they would be pursuing earlier in life?" really deserves a thread of its own but since a few have already answered:

I first wanted to be a priest. No kidding! My mom was so proud of me! Then I got interested in books and learned about flying.

So, next, I wanted to be a pilot. Unfortunately, while in the 4th grade, I had to wear glasses and was informed that pilots needed perfect vision (really? some pilots seem to have bad vision anyway!). So, scratch that.

In high school, I got interested in drawing, so I thought I could be an architech.

Midway through high school, however, I discovered electronics. 'Been with that ever since.

In reply to #39

06/29/2008 9:50 PM

Okay, okay ... I started a NEW discussion, "what did you want to be when you grew up?"

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #40

06/30/2008 5:20 AM

Started tinkering around with old radios when i was 11 years old, got my first kit same year.... and well, the rest is history. So all in all its being 29 years, no wonder i'm senile??? Too much silicone in my diet.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #40

06/30/2008 8:51 AM

I'm still waiting to grow up even though I'm another one at the top of the curve.

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #40

06/30/2008 12:59 PM

Shouldn't that read, "What DO you want to be when you GROW up?" Some of us on the upper tail of the distribution are still growing... mostly sideways, but still growing...

Guru

In reply to #61

06/30/2008 6:07 PM

TRUE TRUE TRUE

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

06/29/2008 11:18 PM

Good question, which is giving introduction of many of our family members. Yes, I feel CR4 as a family, as many names repeat on any thread.

I enjoy reading and participating many types of discussions. I got replies to many of my curiocities, the threads some body started.

About me.

I have a habit to ascend the staircases using only alternate stairs and count alternate only. By this way, my age is 28. Besides, your age is age you feel.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #41

06/30/2008 7:52 AM

Oh good, I'm not the youngest here, after all. I just turned 29 at the beginning of the month.

Still, this is a great crowd. Even if most of you are old enough to be my dad. JK

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

07/07/2008 4:50 AM

Son??? Is that you??!?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/30/2008 3:29 AM

My hat is off too.

Not all of your posts are delicious, but many are very interesting and helpful.

Thanks a lot for your contribution and sharing.

I try to read your posts everyday, not very successfully though, so far.

Mishka, 36

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

06/30/2008 3:37 AM

Hello Mishka,

Why not join so we can always know with whom we are sharing? Its free and easy

06/30/2008 7:21 AM

Morning all. I might as well chime in with my two cents. I am currently 51 in human years ( Del the cat will have to convert to his time) I also hail from upstate New York

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #47

06/30/2008 7:44 AM

...................well!......................we all have our problems............hahaha.

06/30/2008 9:33 AM

Well, I'm "new" here. I entered because from reading stuff over hereI learn a lot. I have some DIY things in mind and I think here would be the perfect place to have help on how to do it, and after doing it put my experience to a good use by sharing it over here and helping out others.

By the way, I'm 25...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #53

06/30/2008 9:44 AM

Welcome aboard.

Register to Reply
Associate

06/30/2008 11:13 AM

wow, i wasnt aware the average age could be that old lol! i guess it figures, since there are so many knowledgable people, whereby i hardly contribute to it, mostly silently reading stuff, partly for interest, partly it gives me some idea as to how to get on with my work. right, im in a job where i sometimes still scratch my head what to do, and then im supposed to know, when in fact, not really. lol. ^_~

anyway im in my 20s. ^_^

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member

Good Answers: 5

06/30/2008 3:28 PM

My two cents.

currently 42 but still breast feed, and have been told I have the attention span of an eight year old or a golden lab. Depending on who saw the frisbee first.

Presently an en electrician specializing in fire alarm and photovoltaics.

I get to play with the fun stuff. I have a farm with horses and llamas, nver thought that would happen to a city boy.

The things you do for a woman.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #63

06/30/2008 6:12 PM

<but still breast feed>

And you're complaining?

<The things you do for a woman>

By my humble calculations, you were 7 when I was married ... you ain't seen nothin' yet

In reply to #65

06/30/2008 9:10 PM

average age: measured by experience & knowledge = old if not very old

being almost sixty, I may bring the average age down a bit; sorry, guys

I follow the postings on the CR4 site to see what might be of an interest to me and my Internet buddies.

When I joined I was curious to see what kind of problems people tried to solve. I was floored by the variety & complexity of the issues, and willingness to share and help by everybody.

This is a great family to join and it isn't forced on me by a marriage!

And never regret anything that made you smile.

In reply to #65

07/07/2008 4:54 AM

"...you were 7 when I was married ... you ain't seen nothin' yet"

Jeeze, D, you don't have to scare the poor sod!

Guru

In reply to #63

07/14/2008 12:06 PM

Hello EV1guy2004:

How you doing? It certainly sound like you have the best of both worlds...........an interesting job and an idyllic home life in the country?

Nice to hear from you. I have not been here long and, think I am 60 eerrmmmmmm going on 10!!!

I see you are a member which means, in my eyes anyway, you respect others enough to tell them who is writing........... So they can then reply to a 'face' rather than to an anonymous 'guest', you know?

By the way, I know I have the attention span of a fish, in a bowl, who is lost. oh, the frisby has just flown past my window!

Stay safe

babybear

United States - Member - Technical Fields - Education - Hobbies - Hunting - Popular Science - Weaponology -

07/01/2008 9:06 AM

In my occupation I rarely have the opportunity to engage in conversation with technically minded people. CR4 is a great opportuity for me to know there is still some thinkers in this world. I also enjoy CR4 for the wealth of information. There is rarely a technical question I have that you guys can't answer or haven't answered already. The wit and sarcasm is a fantastic diversion!

I'm 30. I've been a member since 05!

DAG

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (6); agua_doc (1); Aisling (1); Anonymous Poster (10); babybear (31); bbei (1); benemy (1); bett4haze (1); Bricktop (5); Cardio-2 (1); CrossFire (1); cwarner7_11 (2); DAG (1); DCaD (21); Del the cat (10); dkwarner (10); dovy (9); Epke (2); EV1guy2004 (1); Ferris (9); gsuhas (3); IanR (2); Jaan (2); jfmart (1); Joe.Bath (5); JohnDG (16); krishnan.ng (1); Kwetz (7); madness (1); MechanicOfNY (1); miketheboilerguy (1); MOBI (11); Mr. Truman Brain (8); nick name (1); Nigh (6); nvmani (1); ozzb (1); PWSlack (1); Qqberci (1); saddlechariot (1); Sciesis2 (4); Shadetree (9); snygolfgs (1); Steve S. (3); Susui (1); The Commoner (1); trevtal (1); TVP45 (3); user-deleted-13 (16); Vulcan (6)

Previous in Forum: DIGITAL ELECTRONIC ENERGY METER   Next in Forum: Battery back-up

Advertisement