Previous in Forum: Idea's on Search Engines and other Random Thoughts   Next in Forum: Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD
Close
Close
Close
The Feature Creep

Future of the Internet

02/17/2005 12:32 PM

The new Pew Internet & American Life Project Report for 2005 has just come out. It is built from the input of "Experts in the Field" (who had nothing better to do then answer a survey). Some good quotes:
Ben Compaine, a consultant for the MIT Program on Internet and Telecoms Convergence, wrote, "People will have a wider range of sources – but most individuals will settle on a small number that they will use repeatedly – much as they use a small subset of the large number of TV networks available already. Impact on trust could go either way (or both) – more sources could equal more differences of info could lead to more confusion and skepticism as easily as more trust." (pg 23.)
Lois Ambash, president of Metaforix.com, wrote, "My dream application is a fail-safe, user- controlled, user-friendly privacy screen that would allow people to reap all the benefits of cyberspace with none of the personal risks. What I am most anxious to see is genuine conversation between geeks and newbies. Many people who could reap great benefits from the internet are hampered by the jargon barrier (and other language barriers, such as reading level and lack of facility in English)... My dream situation – as opposed to application – will occur when beta testing routinely requires that any intelligent adult be able to use the product or application competently without a geek in the family or a lengthy interaction with tech support." (Pg. 45-46)

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Previous in Forum: Idea's on Search Engines and other Random Thoughts   Next in Forum: Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD

Advertisement