Previous in Forum: Why 1st day of Fall is not half daylight?   Next in Forum: Line of Sight
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Commentator

Scientists to Reveal Findings from 3D Scan of the Mona Lisa

09/26/2006 4:50 PM

I found an interesting art-related science story: Scientists have performed an extensive 3D scan of Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting The Mona Lisa. They scanned both sides of the painting. Scientists from Canada's National Research Council (NRC) will reveal their findings Tuesday.

Maybe they will solve the riddle of the Da Vinci Code?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Commentator

Pregnant Mona Lisa?

09/27/2006 10:35 PM

3D laser scans reveal that Mona Lisa appears to be wearing a thin gauze veil, similar to those worn by expectant mothers in Leonardo's time. This imaging technology gives researchers a new way to examine Da Vinci's techniques.

Re: Scientists to Reveal Findings from 3D Scan of the Mona Lisa

09/28/2006 12:54 PM

As an artist, I'm enjoying the fact that the researchers are still baffled by Leonardo Da Vinci's technique despite all the new technology they use to scan the painting of Mona Lisa. This article points out that the researchers cannot detect Leonardo's fingerprints and brush strokes.

While I'd love to learn more about the painting and Leonardo, and I'm personally facinated by these new research methods, a part of me hopes they never figure out all of Leonardo's secrets.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Why 1st day of Fall is not half daylight?   Next in Forum: Line of Sight

Advertisement