Previous in Forum: Grout properties and machine vibration.   Next in Forum: Incident at Work- Moving a Patient
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Commentator
Papua New Guinea - Member - Hubert O'oru Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Capacitor Bank

09/04/2008 2:09 AM

hello Sirs/Madams,

Whats soes capacitor banks do. How do they affect power transmission. In what applications are they commonly used? I just heard from a friend that they have Capacitor Bank that is not functioning. There are steam turbines that turned by boilers steam. power is generation through the shft and through to the capacitor abk. I h ave been wondering what a capacitor bak is. I first thought is is a step-up trosnformer. But after going thorugh the Internet (google) i find that there is too many about it..

Therefore, can anybody out there briefly and simply give me the very basic information about Capacitor Banks.

I wish to help my frind to repair his Capacitor bank. Iwish to could help him. pls help me to help him.

Regards,

hubert

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229

Re: capacitor bank

09/04/2008 3:03 AM

Hello hubertooru

Capacitor Banks are used in Power Distribution Networks to improve the Power Factor of the System.

If your knowledge level is such as your question appears, there is presently no hope you can assist your friend to "repair his Capacitor Bank".

The settings of any Capacitor Bank vary for each installation, and you have not given any details.

With every Capacitor Bank, there would have been issued the documents/instructions of how to set it up, and it would be foolish to try and assist such setting up, by remote control.

What your friend needs is an on-site visit from an experienced Electrical Technician or Qualified Electrical Engineer, and for that visit the Instructions for the Capacitor Bank must be available on that site.

Reply here, if needed, with

Kind Regards....

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: capacitor bank

09/04/2008 9:46 AM

If some of the capacitor bank can be isolated from the damage, and the good part of the bank connected in, then some improvement might be made until such time as a warranted repair becomes available. The best thing to do is to get the friend and the manufacturer of the capacitor bank to talk to each other.

As Sparkstation correctly points out, their purpose is to improve power factor, and therefore make savings on transmission losses and the weight of conductors that are used to transmit power. With the capacitor bank, or part of it even, knocked out, then the system losses will be larger than they might otherwise be, with conductors running warmer than they otherwise might. Local circumstances will determine whether that state of affairs is tolerable, and for how long, and that will in turn dictate the urgency of a warranted repair.

Meanwhile, any steps that can be taken to reduce the load are well worth taking.

Re: Capacitor Bank

09/04/2008 11:49 AM

In addition to previous comments, it shall be noticed that capacitor banks could be extremely dangerous bacause they can store a huge electrical load. Capacitor shall be discharged before any intervention to avoid an electrical shock.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

09/05/2008 8:52 AM

Capacitor bank used for power factor improvement.

Mr. Hubert, I think you know about the power factor if you are electrical engineer.

Register to Reply
Associate

Location: Sunken Meadow (nee Rattle Snake Swamp) L.I., N.Y., U.S.A.

09/05/2008 2:07 PM

"I just heard from a friend that they have Capacitor Bank that is not functioning."

Just a friendly warning. A "not functioning" capacitor bank, disconnected from its terminal wiring, can contain lethal amounts of stored charge.

Even experienced electrical personnel have been killed, replacing a damaged capacitor bank. I investigated one such case, where the tops of the capacitors had blown off, due to a lightning strike on the line. The apparently destroyed capacitors still held a lethal charge the next day, when a lineman went to detach the individual capacitors.

I strongly suggest you do not,"help my frind to repair his Capacitor bank", or someone may soon be investigating your death.

Good Answers: 5

09/05/2008 4:24 PM

Look at the shaft where generation goes through and then through to capacitor bank. It is there you will find your answer, and it will be brief.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Goodho (1); MechanicOfNY (1); pwerling (1); PWSlack (1); Sparkstation (1)

Previous in Forum: Grout properties and machine vibration.   Next in Forum: Incident at Work- Moving a Patient

Advertisement