Previous in Forum: Blisters in Fiberglass Pipes   Next in Forum: Plastic (PE) bags end use (oil) leaks
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Active Contributor
Canada - Member - New Member

"Maintenance manager: you're fired !" ...if you can't improve your team results.

09/09/2008 10:02 AM

You are a maintenance manager in a manufacturing enterprise in North America. The plant manager came in your office and told you: " I cut your budget ... you have 1 year to improve the way maintenance departement is working to fit in the new budget or I take it from your pay checks".

What are you going to look at first: down size the maintenance team? Yell againts the production team who runs the equipments the wrong way? Find new CMMS to get a better view of the situation and make accurate decision? Use external resources instead of internal? Cut on the preventive program to decrease the part costs on short terms? Cut on the parts quality and find cheaper suppliers? All of these answers? Other options?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Canada - Member - Our strength is our diversity

Good Answers: 40

Re: "Maintenance manager: you're fired !" ...if you can't improve your team results.

09/09/2008 10:40 AM

The first thing is to analyze all the costs of maintenance of each piece of equipment. Usually you will find 20% of the equipment will cost 80% of the maintenance budget.

Once you have identified the hog, identify what is the cause; obsolescence, lack of training, equipment at end of expected life, etc. Tackle that problem.

At a certain age the equipment maintenance costs will skyrocket. This may be related to the age , obsolescence, or wear of the equipment. Usually replacement by a lower maintenance equipment that is not obsolete will more then make up for the maintenance costs. It may also have the effect of increasing production. When researching new equipment, check reliability.

In the end do your research and present the results to the boss. Give him at least 3 options with all the costs and production figures involved. The first option should be the most expensive. the second should be the reasonable, and the third is the cheap option. Make sure you are willing to live with all options.

The size of your team should be related to the number of man-hours required to maintain all the equipment. Once you have upgraded the equipment, it may be possible to downsize the team. Within one year, this may be done by attrition without replacement, however, it should be validated by a man-hour study.

Guru

Good Answers: 66

Re: "Maintenance manager: you're fired !" ...if you can't improve your team results.

09/09/2008 11:03 AM

Sounds like you have one year to find a new job where the plant manager values your department enough to work pro-actively with you rather than using these type of terrorist tactics. But maybe that's just me...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

09/09/2008 11:26 AM

Look for a new job...when you get one tell him
'You're a manager...manage without me'

Del

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #3

09/10/2008 11:43 PM

Good Answers: 9

09/09/2008 11:37 AM

Go to a RCM (reliability centered maintenance) model RCM as part and parcel of a Facility Asset Management Plan (FAMP). You can:

• optimize effictiveness and efficiency of maintenance practices
  • improve equipment reliability
  • heighten system knowledge
  • lower overall maintenance costs

Some of the features include:

• oil sampling
  • vibration monitoring
  • infrared camera use

We are saving on average $100,000 per year for the past twelve years. Your mileage may vary.

Check out the Power Point presentation for details (link above).

Can be integrated with Maximo by MRO software.

This initiative is the receipient of many national awards.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

09/09/2008 12:09 PM

prioritize and compromise.

he can't take it from your paycheck, that threat is illegal and harressment.

And thats only one side of it. If you meet this requirement, how do you benefit, a bonus?

Canada - Member - New Member

In reply to #5

09/10/2008 12:01 PM

Just to be clear... don't send the CIA and the FBI right now to help me... my "story" is more like a "scenario" than the real situation. I mean every maintenance managers need to improve maintenance... and in the current economic situation it's often: improve it "now" ... so I trying to find some good ideas to do it.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

09/09/2008 1:46 PM

Well he gave me a year to look for a new job so in the mean time.

First I would start a comprehensive log of how the money the department is spending is used. As a maintenance manager I would say more than 50% of the repairs made on my equipment is due to operator error. With this in hand reapproach the plant manager with the need to retrain operators. This retraining will need to be an on going. People in general have different capacities to retain and use knowledge so they forget. If of those repairs cause by operator error could be reduce to 20%(no ones prefect) then your may realize a 20 to 30 % cost reduction.

Guru

Good Answers: 243

09/09/2008 8:33 PM

Lived this in a prior life. Cold finished steel bar mill. USA.

It ain't the maintenance costs, its the downtime.

I documented current state (unscheduled downtime) and then used pareto analysis to prioritize value of down equipment in terms of lost cash flow. (Dollarized it). Then I committed to improve up time. We increased spending in maintenance by about 4%;ELIMINATED UNSCHEDULED DOWNTIME BY OVER 90%. Took about 7 months to get the figures solid enough to satisfy the beancounters.

End of year they fired the operating VP who let the place run to Sh*t, brought in new plt manager, and promoted me to corporate where i ended up in business development until we got the new caster up and running. Then I took over Quality and technology, and started eliminating the waste in all of the redundant products that we carried by consolidating grades and quality levels.

I didn't buy anything more expensive than an IR remote thermometer for checking bearings, A couple spare controller cards for my coil to bar machine, New ones were two days away minimum in europe if they had any,and two enviro air conditioned cabinets for the electronics on the shop floor. And I planned my rebuilds of my shotblasters. and baghouses.Oh, I also arranged to have solid die blanks on the shelf so whan a die blew they could just start cutting rather than wait for carbide on my larger size shapes.

I am proud to say that I out grew the johnny cash take this job and shove it attitude of my union father and got with "what can I do to make it better than it was when i got here attitude?" that I got in boy scouts.

milo"if it had been rocket science, id have typed a resume, but it wasn't so i didn;t"

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661
In reply to #7

09/10/2008 2:35 AM

Nice post Milo...
I think what most people object to is when such improvements are made and some autocratic arse of a manager takes the credit and thinks it's because of him when really it's in spite of him.

Cheers

Del

In reply to #8

09/10/2008 12:54 PM

I totally agree del.

Greetings from Chicago.

milo

Guru

Good Answers: 23

09/10/2008 3:24 AM

I had that option once and after the meeting I hit the phones and ordered every piece of equpiment we had been needing for over a year but had been denied by that same boss who wanted to conserve funds till proftis were better.

Once the equimpent arrived I had all of them installed. In 3 weeks production was better, quailty was much improved and orders were comming in faster.

Strange when you make a good product people want it but when you make a marginal product people only want it as a last resort.

Of course when he got wind of the amount of money I had spent our next meeting was an excerise in constraints. He said, Boy prices of parts and equpiment have sure gone up since you turned in that estimate last year. I said, yes I noticed that also. He never bothered me again.

Good Answers: 1

09/10/2008 8:20 AM

Use LCC Analysis

Study at least 3 Equipment and if ur budget can allow Monitoring with thread over ap reriod of time integrate it

Option as mention earlier is one of the best approach and

Register to Reply
Commentator
Papua New Guinea - Member - Hubert O'oru Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

09/10/2008 9:51 AM

1. if you have a PM program running, re-view and adjust frequencies and schedules to cut down on PM costs.

2. Spare parts Inventory must not store too much capital.

3. Get quality parts for only for critical equipment.

4.Run training programs for the Production operator to operate machines the right.

i will add some more...soon..

Good Luck

Good Answers: 4

09/10/2008 9:57 AM

I go with the trend of no specialization. Although I do work in a third world country, my electricians have been taught about mechanics. Mechanics know some welding.

I also use the theory of rebuilding. Take a machine in (old) do without it for a week and bring it into production (new).

Don`t do stuff in-house when someone out there can do it for you. Unless the work to be done is very specific (modifying a machine) do it yourself. Otherwise, quote materials and add 15% in personnel time to come up with a figure. Then, quote and see the best price. Consider that the first few times you may have problems, but you have to get to know people so you can have service providers who are RELIABLE.

After all this, check out your team. Watch your extra hours and check out their work tendencies. You´ll figure it out.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Cryogenic Treating of engines, components, brake rotors

Good Answers: 1

09/11/2008 9:15 AM

For tooling, wear parts of higher carbon steel, D-2 for example, carbide inserts, bearings, shafts, blades, etc, consider deep cryogenic treating to increase useful life. Dave, dkimmel@300below.com

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

09/20/2008 6:05 PM

One question I would ask is: "When a routine maintenance problem arises, is it you who has to physically fix the problem, or can one of your department people fix it"? In other words, how good are the maintenance people who work in your department? You may have to get rid of any who are not doing their job or get additional training for them.

The plant manager may be "passing the buck" by blaming maintenance problems and associated costs on the maintenance department when the real problem may be with the production end. He may be assigning the wrong people with inadequate skill(cheap labor) to operate machines that eventually break down due to unqualified people. Don't assume that you are the problem. Others may not be doing their job, so check everything out.

09/05/2009 3:33 PM

I've worked in maintenance and as an outside contractor for over 20 years. It's always the same. The managers always want to cut maintenance first. The reason is that we are percieved as a cost rather than a benefit. In other words maintenance costs money and doesn't generate revenue. What they fail to realize is that the short-term gains are almost always offset by the higher cost required later on. (Dadw5boys)

I've been trying unsuccessfully to change the run-to-fail mentality where I work unsuccessfully for over 3 years. The management's thought processes are to say we have to cut costs but they fight tooth and nail to prevent you from actually doing it.

This is why I have decided to finish my degree in management. I guess that the only way to change it is from the inside out.

In reply to #18

09/05/2009 3:43 PM

Actually, you may get better tools to communicate with management about the real costs and become more effective as you apply your experience to the course materials.

good luck back in the classroom.

milo

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

95324 (1); bwire (1); CSM Engineer (1); dadw5boys (1); Davek1 (1); Del the cat (2); eric van hove (1); hubertooru (1); mechanical (1); Milo (3); noshorts (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (1); ronseto (1); techno (1); user-deleted-9 (1)

Previous in Forum: Blisters in Fiberglass Pipes   Next in Forum: Plastic (PE) bags end use (oil) leaks

Advertisement