Previous in Forum: Is the Speed of Light REALLY the Limit?   Next in Forum: Apollo 11 to Apollo 17
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 87

An abnormal bubble of space time...

09/30/2008 8:54 PM

I read the following article on Yahoo,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080930/sc_space/doweliveinagiantcosmicbubble

Which I found to be tremendous... quoting:

"One problem with the void idea, though, is that it negates a principle that has reined in astronomy for more than 450 years: namely, that our place in the universe isn't special. When Nicholas Copernicus argued that it made much more sense for the Earth to be revolving around the sun than vice versa, it revolutionized science. Since then, most theories have to pass the Copernican test. If they require our planet to be unique, or our position to be exalted, the ideas often seem unlikely."

What if our position is exalted? It is tests like the Copernican test that stifle scientific imagination. I think the bubble theory is excellent, even if it is wrong. At least someone is questioning preconceived notions...

Pathfinder Tags: astronomy science space time
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: An abnormal bubble of space time...

10/01/2008 6:39 AM

I share your concern about preconceived notions, though I suspect we are not unique. I've always been a great fan of Carl Sagan and his "...billions and billions..."

Many in science forget that the physics of the small fast and the large slow are not easily testable by ordinary sensible means. Thus, many of the experiments require showing that something in those realms is consistent with what we would expect given our assumptions. If our assumptions, or expectations, are faulty, the experimental verification is faulty. There was a good article about this sort of thing in American Scientist recently.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

10/01/2008 10:52 PM

I rather watch bubbling than write about it

anyway it is just another theory to avoid the idea that this universe will die an entropy death

Good Answers: 290

10/02/2008 6:17 AM

Why can't there be a hundred, billion or infinite number of bubbles in an otherwise denser universe?

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #3

10/02/2008 6:27 AM

Indeed! A veritable plum pudding of bubbles.

Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

10/02/2008 10:27 AM

├žsome time ago, I encountered a concept originally attributed to Bacon (the first one, back in the 16th Century), where he noted that too much of science is based on either deducing generalities from too few experiments, or from too narrow a perspective; furthermore, there is a tendancy to discount evidence that conflicts with one's pet theory. It is rather presumptuous of we humans to immagine that we know all about the universe, considering modern theory is based on concepts originating only in the past century or so- much of it even younger. Our ability to observe the universe from a perspective outside the effects of earth's atmosphere has been around for only about 60 years. How can we humans, who have been around for maybe 150,000 or 200,000 years, on a relatively small planet circling a third-rate star which has been around for only about 4 billion years (about 1/4 the supposed age of the universe), in a mediocre galaxy, presume to claim any truely valid knowledge about processes or events, or even the true time scale, that occurred so many millinia ago? We seem to have trouble remembering what happened only last year...We are just now getting information back from our first probes near the edge of the solar system, and, even though those probes are designed with ancient (by our standards) technology, they are still giving us surprises that challenge our understanding of the solar system...

Yes, we live in a bubble- but that bubble is most likely the product of an inflated ego...

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 290
In reply to #5

10/02/2008 11:06 AM

GA:- We had an English teacher at school who used to say we stood about as much chance of understanding the universe as a foot and mouth disease germ buried in 6 inches of mud under a farm gate stood of understanding the agricultural system in the UK (of course that was before the European Union Common Agricultural Policy came into existence which would have added another unfathomable level of complication) .

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #3

10/02/2008 1:10 PM

A veritable champagne magnum of universes - the thought makes me giddy...

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #5

10/02/2008 1:36 PM

Very well put!!

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

10/06/2008 1:57 AM

Wow, we knew that in the 16th century yet people today still believe the Sun rises every morning, when in fact the earth turns downward so we can see the Sun. Concepts make things hard or difficult to understand and as you say most are effected by egocentricity. The bubble might be burst if they consider earth as traveling outwards at a speed slower than the outer limits but relative to forces that are holding back light in other directions, instead of putting themselves in the centre again.

Reply to Forum Thread 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); cwarner7_11 (1); EnviroMan (1); Epke (1); Randall (2); Steve S. (1); TVP45 (2)

Previous in Forum: Is the Speed of Light REALLY the Limit?   Next in Forum: Apollo 11 to Apollo 17

Advertisement