Previous in Forum: LED Dimming   Next in Forum: Latest Improvements in Mufflers
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
India - Member - Sensors Technology Popular Science - Cosmology - Dream, Think and Act United Kingdom - Member - New Member United States - Member - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Location: AM-51, Deen Dayal Nagar, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, MP 474001, India
Good Answers: 32

Measurement of moisture and temperature of tea leaf grains

10/24/2006 10:26 PM

Friends

This is a real difficult thing to measure temperature and moisture of the tea leaves grains dried inside a room size furnace with hot air blowers. Tea grains are 1mm to 2mm size round balls. The initial moisture level is 25% and what I will like to have on exit is 5%.

Now question is, how to know the moisture and temperature of the small tea leaf balls. Inlet air temperature can be regulated and is often about 150C.

Tea leaf grains are formed by chopping the leaves to the size in special cutters. These grains are either green or fermented grains (Golden Tea).

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Measurement of moisture and temperature of tea leaf grains

10/26/2006 2:01 AM

Sir,

Honeywell has come up with a humidity sensor which can be used to measure the humidity of the tea leaves....I have not tried it yet but it would work....

Or conversly we can by trail and error method check the moisture level as against the temperature in the oven ......

I'm a Electronics and Instrumentation Engineer, a fresh graduate from Anna University.

Next time i would be helpful if u can give me your mail ID

Prasanna

Register to Reply
Guru
India - Member - Sensors Technology Popular Science - Cosmology - Dream, Think and Act United Kingdom - Member - New Member United States - Member - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

In reply to #1

10/26/2006 3:01 AM

Dear Prasanna

Unless I have their catalog reference number or part number, I can not figure out how they will measure the moisture of the tea leaves grains in the furnace with hot air blowers.

Estimation of the moisture on the bases of temperature is not possible. Same problem exists for the measurement of temperature for the flying tea particles in the air along with hot air flow.

It is not such an easy task to measure these parameters. Trial and error method is used now by the industries and it does not yield good results. That is why this discussion is placed here.

In reply to #2

10/27/2006 7:09 AM

Dear Sir,

I have got the http://www.weatherconnection.com/honeywell/product.asp?itmky=333782 address of the website for you. May be this link should give you a solution but its a product unlike a sensor using which we can wire around and do it our way.

This page takes u to the sensor datasheet which should be helpful....pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/arpdf/AppNotes/humsensor.pdf I should think more on your topic sir....I don't have industry exposure so my views my be partially wrong pls bear with...

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/26/2006 10:23 PM

A Halogen Moisture Analyzer from Mettler Toledo is able to measure the moisture content in the tea leaves up to 0.001% accuracy.

In reply to #3

10/26/2006 11:29 PM

These instruments are for sample analysis and not for online process monitoring.

Thanks for information.

10/27/2006 8:42 PM

You may want to take a different approach by calibrating to weight versus measuring moisture. >moisture = >weight. >moisture + >weight ~ temperature.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

10/28/2006 1:22 AM

That is a good idea. Unfortunately we have no idea of the amount of air may flow in, its intial moisture content and final moisture content and intial moisture contents of the tea grains as it is a continuous process.

Direct moisture measurement may be ideal. Perhaps temperature of the air and that of the tea grains can be sensed optically. Some signature on moisture is also possible. I am not sure how accurate that will be.

11/09/2006 11:08 AM

Sir, i'm prasanna,

have u arrived at the solution for measuring moisture of tea leaves...

If the links given by me were useful to you in anyway please let me know..

Looking forward to ur immediate reply

Prasanna

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

11/09/2006 11:46 AM

Can not be used for this purpose.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); mikekoh88 (1); Shyam (4)

Previous in Forum: LED Dimming   Next in Forum: Latest Improvements in Mufflers

Advertisement